Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 10:41 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,911,110 times

Advertisements

This July I'm going up from FL to NY with my family. My husband hates the city so he'll probably stay and visit his family while I bring my 18 year old and 13 year old into the city for a few days.

My oldest and I explored NYC about 5 years ago and had a blast but my 13 year old has never been.

We will be taking the train from Port Jervis, NY (where my husband was born and raised) into the city.

I think we'd like to stay in the city for 2-3 days, so we're looking for some where safe that won't break the bank. It would be cool to find an old/historical hotel but not a deal breaker. Any suggestions?

Also my oldest is heavily into the arts. A few years ago we hit all of the art galleries, etc. We probably will hit a few this time as well. Does anyone have any suggestions on other artsy/funky shops or other things that might be cool to see?

I'm also thinking of taking them to see The Lion King on Broadway. I brought my oldest to see Spamalot a few years ago and she enjoyed it. If anyone has any other suggestions for Broadway shows, I'm open to suggestions.

Any other ideas or tips would be welcome as well.

Thanks a bunch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 10:53 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,291,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
This July I'm going up from FL to NY with my family. My husband hates the city so he'll probably stay and visit his family while I bring my 18 year old and 13 year old into the city for a few days.

My oldest and I explored NYC about 5 years ago and had a blast but my 13 year old has never been.

We will be taking the train from Port Jervis, NY (where my husband was born and raised) into the city.

I think we'd like to stay in the city for 2-3 days, so we're looking for some where safe that won't break the bank. It would be cool to find an old/historical hotel but not a deal breaker. Any suggestions?

Also my oldest is heavily into the arts. A few years ago we hit all of the art galleries, etc. We probably will hit a few this time as well. Does anyone have any suggestions on other artsy/funky shops or other things that might be cool to see?

I'm also thinking of taking them to see The Lion King on Broadway. I brought my oldest to see Spamalot a few years ago and she enjoyed it. If anyone has any other suggestions for Broadway shows, I'm open to suggestions.

Any other ideas or tips would be welcome as well.

Thanks a bunch
The Lion King has been on multiple national tours. It’s no longer an only-in-New-York show. If they’re teenagers they may like American Idiot or The Book of Mormon (if you can get tickets).

Do you mean art galleries (where the art is for sale) or art museums? What kind of shops are you looking for? Clothing? Something else?

Most of the teenagers from out of town that I know want to shop at Abercrombie and H&M. It’s not very original, but they’re not as interested in the smaller stores, and can’t afford them if they were. You might want to take them to the flagship stores on Fifth Avenue. That way you get the grand “shopping in Manhattan” experience, but, since it’s H&M, you can still afford to by something.

If you want cool, trendy boutiques for younger people, I would go to 9th Street between Cooper Square and Avenue A (and surrounding area).

Old 05-11-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
The Lion King has been on multiple national tours. It’s no longer an only-in-New-York show. If they’re teenagers they may like American Idiot or The Book of Mormon (if you can get tickets).

Do you mean art galleries (where the art is for sale) or art museums? What kind of shops are you looking for? Clothing? Something else?
Thanks for the suggestions tpk.

Well, I was thinking something other than the big museums since we have seen them several times. Are there any cool art galleries? Or maybe shops/stores that are kind of punk/edgy? I remember we found some pretty cool shops last time we were traveling around the city but I can't remember the names of the neighborhoods. Also any Goodwill's or Salvation Army's, etc that might have some interesting clothing?

Hotel/motel suggestion would also be cool if you know of any.

I looked through the first 5 pages on the NYC forum and couldn't find much so far in the way of interesting visiting info.

I did make a note to say off train 6, if possible

I guess I'm looking for something other than the typical tourist stuff to do with them

Old 05-11-2011, 11:13 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,573 times
I recommend picking up a copy of the Not for Tourists guide. Since you know your kids, it will help direct you. There are hundreds of galleries (mostly small) and they show different work, so it is hard to recommend one or two. I would Google for a gallery walk along the Highline (an amazing park that has opened since your last visit). You may also want to check into shopping in Williamsburg. Rents are so high in Manhattan, there aren't many good finds at the thrift/vintage shops here.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Or maybe shops/stores that are kind of punk/edgy? I remember we found some pretty cool shops last time we were traveling around the city but I can't remember the names of the neighborhoods.
You should check out The Market (http://www.themarketnyc.com/) near Old St. Patrick’s. It’s open on weekends and is flea-market style venue of indy designers. Students and recent grads of the design schools sell their work there. Here’s an older article about it (Church doubles as fashion market for upstart designers).

It's also near the shops in SoHo.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
I recommend picking up a copy of the Not for Tourists guide. Since you know your kids, it will help direct you. There are hundreds of galleries (mostly small) and they show different work, so it is hard to recommend one or two. I would Google for a gallery walk along the Highline (an amazing park that has opened since your last visit). You may also want to check into shopping in Williamsburg. Rents are so high in Manhattan, there aren't many good finds at the thrift/vintage shops here.
Thanks for the tips! I just Googled Not for Tourists and came up with a website. Is there a book in addition to the website?

Googling Williamsburg and Highline now.

I think last time we were there we walked around where CBGB's used to be. Would be in Manhattan somewhere? Does NYC still have any place that has that punk or edgy kind of vibe? I remember as a kid walking through different areas where the kids would have the 3' tall mohawks, etc. It was just kind of a cool area.

What is Soho and Greenwich like?

Any other advice is welcome-places to stay, eat, etc.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
You should check out The Market (http://www.themarketnyc.com/) near Old St. Patrick’s. It’s open on weekends and is flea-market style venue of indy designers. Students and recent grads of the design schools sell their work there. Here’s an older article about it (Church doubles as fashion market for upstart designers).

It's also near the shops in SoHo.

Super neat! My oldest (the artist) would love to check The Market out. I've saved it in my favorites.

That's what I'm looking for. Places and advice from the locals that might not be that well known.

You guys/gals are awesome.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Is there a book in addition to the website?
Before I got an iPhone, I used to carry NFT in my pocket at all times. However, it’s most useful for things that tourists don’t need, like finding hardware stores, hence the name. The book is not about recommendations/reviews, but rather maps of what’s on every block. They have a iPhone version now, but other apps, like “I Want,” do essentially the same thing for free. The Web site is useful because it has more editorial content (rather than merely maps).

I find the New York Magazine Web site (New York Magazine -- NYC Guide to Restaurants, Fashion, Nightlife, Shopping, Politics, Movies) the best general place for hip things going on in the city. They are very good with restaurant and gallery listings. Better than Time Out, in my opinion.

If you want a museum that most tourist don’t get to, check out PS1 (MoMA PS1). It’s an edgier satellite of the MoMA housed in a old pubic school building in Queens. It’s very easy to get to off of the 7 Train.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:59 AM

Thanks! I saved them to my favorites as well and will check them out later today. I was flipping through some old threads on here and I saw these two hotels were recommended by others on this website.

Any opinions on them? Verve Hotel, An Ascend Collection (Long Island City, NY) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor

and

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html

are these in good locations? Would anyone recommend them?

I'm assuming we would ride the train from Port Jervis, NY into Penn station. Then maybe try to find a subway to take us to one of these hotels, if they are decent.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Are these in good locations? Would anyone recommend them?

I'm assuming we would ride the train from Port Jervis, NY into Penn station. Then maybe try to find a subway to take us to one of these hotels, if they are decent.
I have no personal experience with those hotels, but they look fine. However, hotels in Manhattan are much cheaper now than they were a few years ago, especially if you use Hotwire or Priceline. Once you get near $250 a night, there’s no reason not to stay in Manhattan. For example, it’s much more convenient if you want to drop of your purchases and change before seeing a show or going out to dinner.

There’s no point in staying in the outer boroughs or Jersey unless it’s well under $200, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City