Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 12:33 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,274 times

Advertisements

This article made me really sad. The rubber has really met the road:

New Yorkers under 30 plan to flee city, says new poll; cite high taxes, few jobs as reasons

Was on an elevator at the Rockefeller subway station. Held the elevator door open for this "lady", and the beast pushes me aside, doesn't even say thank you, and shoves in her baby stroller with her two bratty infants. Beast commences to shout out at the kids with her vile, profanity filled potty mouth.

I shudder at the future of the NYC metro area. We are scaring off productive, smart taxpayers and replacing them with uneducated welfare collecting breeders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 12:37 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
While I'm sure "high taxes, few jobs" may be contributing factors, it seems a bit of gratuitous editorializing to cite them in the headline as the main reason young people are leaving. If the cost of living were the same as, say, Tulsa, would they still be fleeing the "high taxes, few jobs"?

Old 05-13-2011, 12:44 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
This article made me really sad. The rubber has really met the road:

New Yorkers under 30 plan to flee city, says new poll; cite high taxes, few jobs as reasons

Was on an elevator at the Rockefeller subway station. Held the elevator door open for this "lady", and the beast pushes me aside, doesn't even say thank you, and shoves in her baby stroller with her two bratty infants. Beast commences to shout out at the kids with her vile, profanity filled potty mouth.

I shudder at the future of the NYC metro area. We are scaring off productive, smart taxpayers and replacing them with uneducated welfare collecting breeders.
Many natives have left the city, I recently I applied for Job in DC and got a call back for an interview I hope I get hired. THere are alot of problems here in NYC taht appeared in the past five years. All my friends that I know are leaving the city. Last year when I visited Vegas I was surprised to see many ex New Yorkers living and working there. My bro wants to visit Denver and move out there. LIke I said the generic white transplants and Hipsters can have this cesspool of a city. Man all the yesterday from the BRonx, to parts of Manhattan and in downtown Brooklyn I smelled poop everywhere I went. It was read bad. There is even employment racism at jobs now even with a college degree you can loose that job to a transplant who does not a have a college degree . Whats wrong with NYC?

Old 05-13-2011, 01:07 PM

215 posts, read 519,623 times
This article is about New York State.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:22 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Many natives have left the city, I recently I applied for Job in DC and got a call back for an interview I hope I get hired. THere are alot of problems here in NYC taht appeared in the past five years. All my friends that I know are leaving the city. Last year when I visited Vegas I was surprised to see many ex New Yorkers living and working there. My bro wants to visit Denver and move out there. LIke I said the generic white transplants and Hipsters can have this cesspool of a city. Man all the yesterday from the BRonx, to parts of Manhattan and in downtown Brooklyn I smelled poop everywhere I went. It was read bad. There is even employment racism at jobs now even with a college degree you can loose that job to a transplant who does not a have a college degree . Whats wrong with NYC?
Wherever you NYers go please don't bring your loony liberal politics with you, thanks.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:27 PM

215 posts, read 519,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
So what exactly appeared in the last five years?

Old 05-13-2011, 01:29 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
Bear I am glad you noticed, because the article takes great pains to NOT mention NYC....the article is about NEW YORK STATE. And we know NEW YORK STATE (upstate) has been a losing proposition for decades. Nothing to see here folks.

The comment about the "beast in the elevator" was pointless....as if NYC has the market cornered on rude behavior. Since it was Rockefeller, it was probably a tourist.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:35 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
These papers have such awful writers. The analysis is vague and contradictory. The author mixes city, suburbs and state so thoroughly that it’s impossible to follow the numbers. And what about:
An additional 38% cite climate, quality of life, overcrowding, a desire to be closer to family, retirement or schools.
What does this have to do with the headline or the thesis of the article? People with “a desire to be closer to family” are probably not from the state to begin with. People considering retirement are unlikely to be “under 30.” And about schools? For whom? Schools for themselves or their children?

I happen to think that many people would be better off elsewhere, but this article doesn’t say much about them.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:22 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,711,644 times
While that's a depressing encounter, I'm guessing the single biggest reason may be housing.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:28 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
The high cost of living is it. After years many people want to feel comfortable and have more to show from working hard for so long. While it is a great city..It takes a lot to really get ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City