Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 10:58 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
So, your tenants spit on locals as they walk by? I'm sure they say excuse me if someone is in there way. Would you kick them out for being kind to "ghetto trash"?
Lol.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:45 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
ugh, seriously one could start a thread about sh*t hilltopjay says and the conversations he gets into.

Honestly though, I have to defend him a little here, hilltopjay owns an apartment building and in his own interest it is important for him to rent to people who will uphold their end and pay him rent each month so that he is not stuck with deadbeat tenants that he has to take to court to remove.

The type of person he rents to really isn't that big of a deal, besides he is going mostly off of perceived behavior from people during any interview process. Someone who is "friendly with the locals" in the sense that they say "hi" to people probably isn't going to even get noticed by hilltopjay, I think when he says that he wouldn't rent to those people he is referring to when someone that clearly hangs out with that type of person and carries themselves in that manner, then he won't rent to that person.

When owning a building in the Bronx for a while, I am sure he has learned what type of people to rent to and the type not to rent to. Also I am sure he holds people to meet his rental requirements which probably cancels out most of the people that he would count as "ghetto" though I am sure it also cancels out those that are just poor too...but then again, no one is asking hilltopjay to provide housing for the poor, we have a government that is suppose to be more in charge of that.

The issues I usually have with hilltopjay is his wish to have a "ghetto free" neighborhood without really wanting to do any community work to try and improve the qualities with his neighborhood. Making a neighborhood safer for all is not an easy task and simply pricing out the "ghetto people" and the poor people isn't the answer, that just shuffles the problem to places like the Bronx or East New York.

But in this case, with the overly abundant amount of pages, hilltopjay can rent to who ever he likes in the end because it is his building.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:09 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,042 times
It goes like this:

BRONX-The Underdog Borough
Queens-The TRUE melting pot borough
Brooklyn-The strong borough
Manhattan-The money making borough
Staten Island-THE LAST FRONTIER BOROUGH

Old 04-21-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
ugh, seriously one could start a thread about sh*t hilltopjay says and the conversations he gets into.

Honestly though, I have to defend him a little here, hilltopjay owns an apartment building and in his own interest it is important for him to rent to people who will uphold their end and pay him rent each month so that he is not stuck with deadbeat tenants that he has to take to court to remove.

The type of person he rents to really isn't that big of a deal, besides he is going mostly off of perceived behavior from people during any interview process. Someone who is "friendly with the locals" in the sense that they say "hi" to people probably isn't going to even get noticed by hilltopjay, I think when he says that he wouldn't rent to those people he is referring to when someone that clearly hangs out with that type of person and carries themselves in that manner, then he won't rent to that person.

When owning a building in the Bronx for a while, I am sure he has learned what type of people to rent to and the type not to rent to. Also I am sure he holds people to meet his rental requirements which probably cancels out most of the people that he would count as "ghetto" though I am sure it also cancels out those that are just poor too...but then again, no one is asking hilltopjay to provide housing for the poor, we have a government that is suppose to be more in charge of that.

The issues I usually have with hilltopjay is his wish to have a "ghetto free" neighborhood without really wanting to do any community work to try and improve the qualities with his neighborhood. Making a neighborhood safer for all is not an easy task and simply pricing out the "ghetto people" and the poor people isn't the answer, that just shuffles the problem to places like the Bronx or East New York.

But in this case, with the overly abundant amount of pages, hilltopjay can rent to who ever he likes in the end because it is his building.

Thank you Urban. Glad someone understands where I'm coming from.

And to clear up the whole socializing with the ghetto local issue I love my community has with me, I don't mean they can't say hi or excuse me to a ghetto local. When someone usually befriends someone its because they share something in common like music or have the same ideology or way of thinking. I try to rent to people that have nothing in common with the ghetto locals. That way there is no dialog between them and a friendship is not likely. Meaning I don't get the ghetto locals visiting my building to see his "boy". And that's what I exactly want. I want my building to be totally isolated from the ghetto trash that's out there. And I've been successful in accomplishing that by doing what I've been doing all these years.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:41 PM

835 posts, read 1,040,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
I try to rent to people that have nothing in common with the ghetto locals.
So that's your answer to the first question? An educated middle class black male who listens to rap music and sometimes talk with slang will automatically be checked off from your list. No matter how hard he works or no matter how educated he is, those two things would keep you from renting out to him because some "ghetto" people like to listen to rap. You wouldn't care if her kept his place clean or paid months in advance. Just because he has something in common with the ghetto locals it's an automatic no. Am I right?

I'm just getting this from that you said.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
No one is saying he can't rent out to the people he want. He just has a weird way of defining ghetto or "hood" people.
He is saying no matter how educated or well put together the person seems, he won't rent to them if they like the same type of music as the people in the neighborhood or talk a little informal around close friends because that automatically makes them "ghetto trash".

Last edited by Ilovethecommunity; 04-21-2012 at 12:58 PM..

Old 04-21-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
None is saying he can't rent out to the people he want. He just has a weird way of defining ghetto or "hood" people.
He is saying no matter how educated or well put together the person seems, he won't rent to them if they like the same type of music as the people in the neighborhood or talk a little informal around close friends because that automatically makes them "ghetto trash".
Ok let's say that if he does like hip hop music but comes across as a person that is not outspoken or social and keeps to himself, then I would rent to him. Does that make you feel better?

Old 04-21-2012, 01:37 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,198 times
Quote:
Ok let's say that if he does like hip hop music but comes across as a person that is not outspoken or social and keeps to himself, then I would rent to him. Does that make you feel better?
Oh yes! That one little adjustment shows that you're not an unfairly discriminating person and you are actually open-minded *sarcasm ends*.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
Oh yes! That one little adjustment shows that you're not an unfairly discriminating person and you are actually open-minded *sarcasm ends*.
I know I hit a nerve with you and the other chick. Shrugs!

Old 04-21-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I know I hit a nerve with you and the other chick. Shrugs!

Hahaha, Is that your attempt at an insult? You really are a sad person.

I rather live in a neighborhood full of "ghetto trash" than one with people full of you.

"Ghetto trash" has more sense than you. You are about as trashy as the people you try to keep out of your buildings, maybe even lower. So, I'm going to say this again, please stop with your ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City