Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 07:17 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,790,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Hilltopjay, if you are correct, then why don't you provide me with numbers that show how many units are in nyc, how many of those are RC, and how many of those are RS, my guess is not enough to have any effect....or you can continue with your "you don't live here so you don't know garbage" which does nothing more than prove my point that you can't even back up your own statements, which is fine cause I never expected you would.
Hilltopjay is right you know, you don't live here but continually act like you know more than anyone about this city. As far as RC numbers I think that dog was beaten to death in another thread? What will numbers do anyway? Numbers aren't going to show the caliber of the people living on RC. Just "man up" and take the walk Hilltopjay suggested, after that I'm sure your numbers fixation will be moot. Hilltopjay has seen enough to spot low caliber people easily, that's experience, not some numbers from a text book.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:25 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
Hai gais!! I know a very kind surfer couple that live on the Oregon coast, therefore everyone who lives on the Oregon coast are very kind surfers! Ok bai!!

Old 04-26-2012, 07:33 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
Hilltopjay is right you know, you don't live here but continually act like you know more than anyone about this city. As far as RC numbers I think that dog was beaten to death in another thread? What will numbers do anyway? Numbers aren't going to show the caliber of the people living on RC. Just "man up" and take the walk Hilltopjay suggested, after that I'm sure your numbers fixation will be moot. Hilltopjay has seen enough to spot low caliber people easily, that's experience, not some numbers from a text book.
All I want to know is what are the numbers? Why is that such a hard question to answer....does anyone on this site know this answer?

Old 04-26-2012, 08:02 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,790,935 times
Quote:
All I want to know is what are the numbers? Why is that such a hard question to answer....does anyone on this site know this answer?
Like the man said, there's numbers and there's life. Try and get out of the bubble before you move to Bayonne next week.

You want numbers, try google or nyc.gov, or you can sift through all the old CD threads that dealt with RC. Once you do your own foot work please come back and dazzle all of us with your research.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Like I said before, knock yourself out and do the leg work yourself.
Yet you say you already know the numbers, how about you give me just one link that backs up your claims...also, again you never answer my questions.

Did you buy your building knowing it had RS units in it or did you turn them into RS units after you bought them? I wonder why you won't answer that question??

Old 04-26-2012, 08:19 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,617,206 times
urbanlife, about half of the rental units in Manhattan are subject to some form of rent regulation (RS, rent control, Mitchell-Lama, etc.). I don't know about outer boroughs but it's safe to assume it's much less, since RS applies only to buildings with 6 or more units.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
urbanlife, about half of the rental units in Manhattan are subject to some form of rent regulation (RS, rent control, Mitchell-Lama, etc.). I don't know about outer boroughs but it's safe to assume it's much less, since RS applies only to buildings with 6 or more units.
Well then this is where I am having a problem, from what hilltopjay makes it sound like, these units are what are increasing the ghettos, yet if about half is in some form of rent regulation in NYC, then by hilltopjay's standards that would mean about half of Manhattan is the ghetto...which I have been all over much of Manhattan and I would have to disagree with that.

Also, the number of Rent Controlled units have been disappearing year after year. The Housing and Vacancy Survey from NYC.gov says that in 2008 there are 40,000 units that classify as rent control and that number is falling. Most of those units are rented by the elderly and is a system that is in place to prevent pushing elderly people from their homes...so I don't see anything wrong with that.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:29 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,254,574 times
Quote:
Yet you say you already know the numbers, how about you give me just one link that backs up your claims...also, again you never answer my questions.

Did you buy your building knowing it had RS units in it or did you turn them into RS units after you bought them? I wonder why you won't answer that question??
Of coarse I knew the apartments were rent stabilized. So what's your response to that? The typical... I knew what I was getting myself into bs?

The problem occurs when the rent increases set by the RGB don't keep pace with the rising operating cost. It may start of fine initially but tails off.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:39 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
According to Wiki,as of 2011 in NYC there were:

Rent Controlled Units: 38,400 or 1.8% of all housing units
Rent stabilized units in pre 1947 buildings: 743,500 or 34.2% of all units
Rent stabilized units in post 1947 buildings:243,300 or 11.2% of all units
" other regulated units" : 297,600 or 13.7% of all units

Total apartments in NYC under some form of control or stabilization is
1,052,800 which is 60.9 % of the rental housing units.

According to the same site there are 849,800 unregulated apartments in NYC which represents 39.1% of all the rental units.

Rent control in New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by bluedog2; 04-26-2012 at 08:53 PM..

Old 04-26-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Of coarse I knew the apartments were rent stabilized. So what's your response to that? The typical... I knew what I was getting myself into bs?

The problem occurs when the rent increases set by the RGB don't keep pace with the rising operating cost. It may start of fine initially but tails off.
Actually yes, I would of hoped you properly studied the rental laws to better inform yourself what you were getting into. Which if you bought an apartment with RS units already in it, then how exactly are you able to complain about something you willingly paid for in the first place?

Why didn't you just buy a building that did not have RS units or tried to have the units deregulated when you purchased it or you could always upgrade the units to the point that you are able to petition the need to raise the rent well above the amount that classifies it as a rent stabilized unit.

But yes, you should of known what you were getting into when you first bought your building. So I am not sure you could call it "bs" when I am sure you probably found yourself saying the same thing about people who purchased homes valued more than they were able to afford and then were forced into foreclosure. I am guessing you would agree with me that they should of known what they were getting into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City