Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 12:35 PM

2 posts, read 5,500 times

Advertisements

I am 42 yrs of age and have been seperated from my ex-grilfriend for a year now. She recently told me she is moving to Florida with my who is 10yrs old. With this said, she also also has two other children from two other men. She claims she is moving to florida for a better living and will provide my son with a better life. She claims she has a job offer but has not shown me this offer and claims to be moving with a man my kids have never met. When I say kids I mean her other two because I feel they are mine also. I feel if I let her do this will put a strain on me and my son realtionship. We are very close and he thinks the world of me and I don't want to lose that by him going 834 miles acroos country. I seehim every other weekend but every weekend since she hit me with this new. I want to know what my rights are if I have any. I also want to know is she to show me this job offer or am I to believe this man which is willing to support her on blind faith leave with my kids to florida where she only has one realtive that will be 30 min away with two little kids herself. My son has me my mother, sister and brother here. With all this said, I want to say the mother of my child is a great mother and I am a great farther but I.don't want my son leaving and at 42yrs of age I am not trying to have another child. I also don't want long summers and holidays with him. I want him here period and want to know if I have a fighting chance or should I just give up. I here the courts can't reconize good dads because there are so many that make it bad for the good ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 01:57 PM

2 posts, read 5,500 times
I really need some advice can some one offer any. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:34 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,262,648 times
Ok i feel for you since I also have a son and am separated. First of all you need a lawyer, don't know of one specifically but since the industry is saturated with lawyers I don't see this being a problem, just go to family court and start filing a petition and/or maybe they can direct you to one. Do not know your situation, do you have partial custody?, pay child support?, hopefully you do pay through child support services(Albany) than you have some rights. I believe she can not relocate more than a certain amount of miles from the paying parent/guardian. But you must act quickly.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:53 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,327 times
I think you would find more answers in a legal forum. Good luck.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:59 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,814,904 times
Get a lawyer. If you are paying support and on the birth certificate and have partial custody, there should not be an issue about keeping the kid in NY. [However, kids at 14 can go where they please in NY state if the court approves] Get an order for her to keep the child in NYC. My brother did it for his son; he got an order that forced her to keep the child in the Judicial District she lived in. If the other parent moved w/out permission, he could have her jailed. It was upstate; I do not know if NYC is different.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:28 PM

615 posts, read 1,676,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongercypher View Post
I am 42 yrs of age and have been seperated from my ex-grilfriend for a year now. She recently told me she is moving to Florida with my who is 10yrs old. With this said, she also also has two other children from two other men. She claims she is moving to florida for a better living and will provide my son with a better life. She claims she has a job offer but has not shown me this offer and claims to be moving with a man my kids have never met. When I say kids I mean her other two because I feel they are mine also. I feel if I let her do this will put a strain on me and my son realtionship. We are very close and he thinks the world of me and I don't want to lose that by him going 834 miles acroos country. I seehim every other weekend but every weekend since she hit me with this new. I want to know what my rights are if I have any. I also want to know is she to show me this job offer or am I to believe this man which is willing to support her on blind faith leave with my kids to florida where she only has one realtive that will be 30 min away with two little kids herself. My son has me my mother, sister and brother here. With all this said, I want to say the mother of my child is a great mother and I am a great farther but I.don't want my son leaving and at 42yrs of age I am not trying to have another child. I also don't want long summers and holidays with him. I want him here period and want to know if I have a fighting chance or should I just give up. I here the courts can't reconize good dads because there are so many that make it bad for the good ones.

Can't you take her to family court? I'm not well-versed in this type of scenario, but it seems so UNFAIR to you.

Good luck!!!

Old 10-11-2011, 03:50 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
I believe that these issues are handled by the Supreme Court in NYS. You probably won't be able to do much about the children who are not biologically yours. You do need a good lawyer, but they are expensive $300-$400 an hour. You need to act very quickly before she moves.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:52 PM

16 posts, read 56,961 times
Sounds like Kramer vs. Kramer plot to me, and the dad wins in the end. If your son evidently displays that he likes and would prefer to live with you more, then you will most likely win.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:10 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongercypher View Post
Typical ny broad if you ask me.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:11 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,780,715 times
My daughter and the father of her son went to family court regarding custody of the boy. The court issued a document wherein they shared custody, but my daughter is the primary custodian, and neither parent is allowed to take my grandson outside New York without the consent of the other parent. This includes going outside, say to New Jersey. If he is taken by one or the other with consent, a police report can be filed and there would be an arrest. The father has taken my grandson out of the state numerous times without the mother's consent. The parents don't get along, but they get along to a degree.

Check your divorce papers, and if you went to family court, the papers you were issued. If not, go to family court and open a case against your ex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City