Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2011, 10:20 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
Maybe so. Why then, is it, that they expect you to have experience in it, when it is proprietery to them?! I swear, I have nothing to lose at this point. Do not be surprised if I just bust out my AK and start taking the right people out.
To show compentency that you atleast familiar with job at hand....but to able to come in and go right to work, please it takes atleast a month to get a new hire up to speed in most places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 10:28 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,566,942 times
Yeah, it's part of the process. It's a cost the employers are supposed to incur. You can't have someone perfectly up to speed right at the start. To me, that's insanity. Also, the state of our current market evidently. I seriously breathe hatred for these people.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:02 AM

1,090 posts, read 3,167,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecbee View Post
Temp workers do have a time and a place. I'm not saying that they completely need to be done away with. But what I've seen at 2 giant companies I've worked at, is the gradual replacement of permanent employees with temp employees. If someone leaves, they replace them with a "temp to perm" employee, which never gets hired on because they terminate the contract before they have to hire them and find a new one.
YEP! That's what they do alright. I've told this to a MILLION people. Do NOT take a temp-perm job if you don't absolutely have to because if the word TEMP is in there, you're starting off on the wrong foot. These employers need to CUT the crap. As the job market gains momentum, more employers will need to give themselves an edge to gain good candidates and not BS with this temp crap. I'm getting a LOT of calls about permanent/direct-hire right now. No one wants to stay at a temp position, so those greedy companies will start to realize that they're losing good people.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:05 AM

I really wish there was a law implemented about companies having a certain amount of temps. Our country is seriously SO jacked up..health care..education..etc. It's driving the morale SEVERELY down. People can't even get a regular job/benefits these days. It's pathetic!

I wish there was some kind of law....not sure what kind..but I'll think up one lol.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:40 AM

446 posts, read 996,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
I really wish there was a law implemented about companies having a certain amount of temps. Our country is seriously SO jacked up..health care..education..etc. It's driving the morale SEVERELY down. People can't even get a regular job/benefits these days. It's pathetic!

I wish there was some kind of law....not sure what kind..but I'll think up one lol.
If it continues at this pace, I think more people will start making a stink about it. Unfortunately, a lot of new people in the workforce have no idea what it was like before- this staffing agency crap is what's normal to them. Right now, a lot of people consider the temp agencies to be on their side just because they got them a job shuffling paper for $15 an hour somewhere. They are completely changing the application process. We just need someone to get the ball rolling. I've thought about it, but I don't even know where to start and it would go nowhere without the attention of a congressman/woman. Even then, who knows. The government is completely paid for by the corporations, so any legislation regarding the temp workforce will be an uphill battle.

Sigh. Everything is so back asswards now.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:45 AM

446 posts, read 996,814 times
OH, and don't get me started on the overuse of "interns"! There are a few regulations about the use of interns, but it's not usually enforced and a lot of industries, especially "coveted" industries in entertainment, fashion, advertising and marketing, etc use free labor from "interns". And no, they aren't always students getting credit (even though they're supposed to be). I've seen people in their 30's with families to support, working 20 hours for free at a big name company with the false hope that it'll jump-start their career into a well-paying position with them. There are legitimate, mutually beneficial internships out there but most of what I see is just a way to get out of hiring an employee.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:23 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,589,334 times
Quote:
I will let you in on a secret, though. Monster, Career Builder, Hot Jobs, etc are garbage. It's crawling with recruiters, spammers, and men in the UK who need you to run to Western Union before they can hire you.
wow, monster is that bad nowadays? recruiters okay, but not the rest.

in 2001 right before the twin towers i got a good 50K job (58K in one particular year of exhausting, energy-draining OT/) through monster. i was there for 3 and a half years.

Quote:
Why do we need a middle man to help us find jobs?
it's not jobseekers who needs agencies. companies do. post #201 by blackbeauty is an excellent breakdown. i think it's even officially called "liability reduction" in some companies.

Quote:
It's sad. So what the heck does HR do anymore? Just a rhetorical question. This system completely draws a line between the employer and the employee, there's no loyalty on either end.
i know you said rhetorical but i'll give my 2 cents about hr. i think in some cases (large corp's mainly), we can inform hr we're having tension with the boss or a co-worker and possibly ask hr to intervene (attend) as a silent witness if there is a sit-down meeting to resolve tension. back in 2000 when i had tension with a new/dumb boss (who replaced a great/smart boss), i should've asked hr to attend the resolutions meeting between me and dummyboss as a slient witness so that they could document the meeting. (by the way, nothing got resolved with dummyboss. possibly because it was just him and me in the room. that's the point i'm trying to make) ...... sigh. i don't know why i didn't ask hr because i know for a fact it was something that employees could request. plus hr would've sided with me because, by then, i was already there for 4 years with stellar employee reviews each and every year since i started. i guess i just wanted to handle things on my own. i feel i underutilized hr because quite frankly back then i viewed them as bumps on a log. in retrospect, they could've been an ally. not to say we should always run to hr. it depends.

Quote:
OH, and don't get me started on the overuse of "interns"! There are a few regulations about the use of interns, but it's not usually enforced and a lot of industries, especially "coveted" industries in entertainment, fashion, advertising and marketing, etc use free labor from "interns". And no, they aren't always students getting credit (even though they're supposed to be). I've seen people in their 30's with families to support, working 20 hours for free at a big name company with the false hope that it'll jump-start their career
omg. yup. interns. file under "e" for extreme exploitation. it's sickening but the 'sexy' industries have the magnetism so i bet they say: "hey don't blame it on us!"

Old 05-30-2011, 12:44 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,589,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
OJT is a thing of the past. You either come in with all the necessary skills intact, accept 8-12 dollars an hour, or you take a hike.
i don't necessarily agree with this. some industries can't get away with that .. 2 jobs i had (same field, diff. co's) had to give OTJT because if they didn't, they were asking for trouble. one mistake could cost them millions and a bad reputation. both jobs entailed non-technical help to the marketing dept with lots of operating the financial wires aspect of the dept (mainly First Call, now called Thomson) but the app to send reports to the same exact wires (First Call, Multex, etc) were totally different in both firms. training for job #1 took months (actually just weeks, but 6 months to be the shiznit). training for job #2 took only weeks (thanks partly to job #1. oh yeah, and a better app) but the point is even job #2 had to give OTJT because the apps were, as i said earlier, completely different (although they had the same goal).

Last edited by grimace8; 05-30-2011 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: changed the word "software" to "app" to emphasize the non-tech nature of the job

Old 05-30-2011, 01:40 PM

Oh yes...let's not forget the internships. I know a RN that's been interning for a year at a hospital with the hope they will be hired.

EFF THAT. I can do a MILLION other things than work for free. One or two summer interships during college is all one should max out at. After that, it's just pathetic and ridiculous and hardly ever worth the time. Do NOT be fooled.

I know that you used internet resume sites, but I am somewhat against them...I've gotten a LOT of scams and they are REALLY good scams. I think I have a GREAT eye for them, but I don't think it's worth the risk IMO.

If anything, sift through various websites and find the company that's hiring..go their personal website and email your resume directly. I deleted my resume off internet websites because I literally had SO many staffing agencies/recruiters calling me I was losing my MIND and TRUST me...there are only about 1-2 "decent" agencies/recruiters for every dozen you will meet. It's completely stressful and wasted time...esp. if they aren't staffing for perm jobs.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:47 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I've seen people be turned down for jobs simply because they dont have the personality that fits the department, doesnt matter whether they were perfectly qualified or not. I guess this is just symptom of having to much supply on the market, employers are now narrowing down the selection process to something as trivial as ones personality, "They have to fit in with us" what is this a high school cheerleading squad.
This has always seemed pretty obvious to me, but maybe that's just because I believe I've been in that exact situation before with a certain large athletic shoe and apparel company in Oregon. Was I qualified for the position and would I have performed excellently? Of course I was and of course I would have. (It was basically entry-level anyway.) No matter...I wasn't typecast to fit in with this department or group of people, and that was fairly obvious even though the interview went well on the surface. This company was/is known for being very clubby about who they hire, so this shouldn't have surprised me. (The only reason I got the interview in the first place was because I knew an insider.) They weren't just looking for somebody who was merely qualified and competent, they were looking for a new member of the sorority, which clearly wasn't me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City