Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 06:54 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
That's what a lot of people do when the job market hits the toilet. The risk is getting yourself into huge debt going for the grad degree, losing out on two years of income by going full time, and then ultimately not having it pay off in the end with a high paying job (but you still get the huge student loan payment though )

If it sounds like I'm not too bullish on higher education right now, it's because I'm not. It's been grossly demeaned and turned into a huge racket designed to make everyone else rich except you. Ask half the people with recent law degrees how they feel about it and you're sure to get an ear full. Not saying you shouldn't try to better yourself, but be very careful with that. Student loan debt is the most toxic you can have. if you can pay most of it out of pocket, that's a much better proposition.
This is true. I am thinking of going back for pharmacy, which is usually in demand. But the amount of time and $, , to say the least. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 07:12 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,547,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
yes, but many LL seem to forget (or simply don't care) that they need to compete to get the creme de la creme of available tenants!
They have not forgotten, they just don't care. There are plenty (supply) of people in this city with good paying jobs, so as long as NYC is a place where people will continue to want to live here (demand) they know there will always be enough tenants. The other problem is that it is not just greed that leads LL to charge outrageous prices....but the costs like property taxes here in NY make it a necessity to charge outrageous rents in many cases. Thus the reason NYC is a city of renters!

Just boils down to supply and demand....those who are in control of the supply (housing, jobs etc.) can capitalize on the demand that exists.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:20 PM

500 posts, read 841,327 times
Unfortunately, US economy will never recover.

As to small salaries for professionals in NYC: let's say employer pays a young engineer or other professional 50K. 50K - 14K taxes =36K.

36K - 17K rent/utilities = 19K to live and pay student loans.

Why would I want to slave in a stressful environment in NYC then if I can have some easy, low-stess job in smaller city--take 20K home while living in own house, not paying someone else's mortgage? That's why I'm doing this: not going to work or live in a city with expensive real estate and rent anymore.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:46 PM

233 posts, read 720,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xani View Post

I'm not sure if the economy will never recover, but from the looks of things it's going to take a long while. If Japan's decade+ long recession is any indication, we're in for more of this stuff, not less.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:47 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xani View Post

As to small salaries for professionals in NYC: let's say employer pays a young engineer or other professional 50K. 50K - 14K taxes =36K.

36K - 17K rent/utilities = 19K to live and pay student loans.

Why would I want to slave in a stressful environment in NYC then if I can have some easy, low-stess job in smaller city--take 20K home while living in own house, not paying someone else's mortgage? That's why I'm doing this: not going to work or live in a city with expensive real estate and rent anymore.
That's exactly right! Rep points for you . NYC might make sense if the 50K was bumped up to, say, 75K. But it's not and that's why I'm not there!

Old 05-18-2011, 08:02 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,894,970 times
I've said this a gazillion time....Taxes are going to kill this city they're too damn high

When you make 100K a year but your net paycheck looks more in the range of 60-70K and you haven't even paid a bill/rent, that's enough to give people sticker shock....

I know people who are making 100k a year, living in Manhattan and still forced to Brown Bag lunch everyday....WTF Seriously!?!?!

Old 05-18-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
That's exactly right! Rep points for you . NYC might make sense if the 50K was bumped up to, say, 75K. But it's not and that's why I'm not there!
After paying rent (paying off someone else's houses) for many years...I feel that the only way any city makes sense to live in, is if your take-home pay can buy you a live-able housing within reasonable commute to business areas within, say, 5 years of working (talking about most basic, small, modest housing).

Then, you're free to rent it out and go elsewhere, if you have to... won't have trouble paying rent if you can get income from your own property at least. If I rent out my house in smaller city for 1300K--I can rent a room in Brooklyn AND have my food and metro pass paid if I get extreme need to live closer to Manhattan and party there... :X now can't live without the mountains, forests or lakes in sight though...

Old 05-18-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I've said this a gazillion time....Taxes are going to kill this city they're too damn high

When you make 100K a year but your net paycheck looks more in the range of 60-70K and you haven't even paid a bill/rent, that's enough to give people sticker shock....

I know people who are making 100k a year, living in Manhattan and still forced to Brown Bag lunch everyday....WTF Seriously!?!?!
Taxes are very high in CA, where I am, as well... paid 1/3 of pay check.
As to NYC taxes... do you know that half of the immigrants that move there have free health insurance that covers pretty much everything, excellent home health aide hours (if they're older), like household servants, basically and virtually rent-free housing? I lived in Brighton Beach for a while... I know where a lot of taxes go. The amount of fraud is unspeakable. I had one part time job there.. years later I learned my company owners were all arrested for massive fraud sucking off taxpayer's money, I don't remember I think it was 20 million. Ironically, I saw Americans being homeless... this didn't fit into my head: people born in America being homeless, and guests receiving full benefits (I'm an immigrant myself, but never tapped into the "benefits"). Same here in LA... people driving up on Hammers... flashing food stamps cards. Once you get to know certain circles from inside... how bought-up officials are in some places--green line to endless line of any kind of benefits--if you're "in" and "share" with their "lawyers" (middlemen). Their own cliques of "doctors" who write-up any kind of "disability" if you pay...here's your guaranteed living off tax money. The "nurses" writing up health conditions for healthy people... they get 24-hour care from home attendant--home care company milks the tax dollars--everyone shares--everyone happy.

Last edited by xani; 05-18-2011 at 08:31 PM..

Old 05-18-2011, 08:33 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post

This is true. People think $100k is a lot of money until they actually figure out what their take home pay would look like compared to say, a $50-60k job. It's more, but it's not like "wow I'm rich!" more.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:50 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,547,902 times
What has happened is that those who control (housing, jobs etc.) have long ago figured out what makes the typical New Yorker tick. They have already seen that no matter how high the prices get in this city....no matter if they low ball payscales....there are millions of diehard people who will keep (being the victim) paying the high price tag just to call NYC home.

The problem is not just the fact that they are greedy and capitalizing on everyone's desire to live here....the problem is with those who complain about this city but yet do not become outraged enough to say to themselves "$1500 a month for a shoe box size apartment is outrageous and I refuse to pay that kind of money"! When we become outraged and begin to pack our bags for other cities then and only then will those in control get the message.

Problem is that in spite of the complaints we all know that the job options here are hard to beat PERIOD! I lived in South Carolina for a few years and yeah the COL (housing & how much you get for your money) is way cheaper than here but the reality is that the job market and pay scales in other states are horrible.....not to mention the fact that things like food are just as expensive as here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City