Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2011, 04:08 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
Yea I didn't get that comment either. Some people actually want their own space and not be 25+ still shacking with mom and dad. I learned that living in a place like NYC will make you comfortable with things you shouldn't be comfortable with. A grown man in his 30's should NOT be comfortable renting a room with 4 or 5 roommates almost half his age, nor should a person who makes $40k a year live off Ramen Noodles and Dominos Pizza and commute 2 hours each way to work. However most do it because they have no other choice, not because they actually want to. I don't have an issue with folks living with their parents either, but don't act like there's something wrong with a an adult actually wanting to do somethings that adults are supposed to be doing.

Alright. So go live in the Midwest, South, or Southwest where a 35k salary will net you a comfortable life as a single person.
Who's keeping you here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 11:39 PM

103 posts, read 166,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Alright. So go live in the Midwest, South, or Southwest where a 35k salary will net you a comfortable life as a single person.
Who's keeping you here?
I bet mayor will get out of your crap-hole of a city as soon as he/she can. Personally, I can't wait to leave for the South ASAP.

NYC is not America as far as I'm concerned. Nowhere else in this country are people subjected to such sub-standard living conditions. But the smart ones will leave.... leaving people like you while you pay 2,000 for a one bedroom with no washer and dryer, and no parking space. Yeah, you're a real winner

Old 07-12-2011, 06:26 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
GoBlue, there is a big world out there, and you are right...NYC is very "UnAmerican" as compared to the more stereotypical American value of guns, minimal diversity, 2 car garages with picket fences/front and backyards/ and now foreclosures, nonexistent downtown districts, strip malls, low wage jobs a plenty, useless if any public transportation/car based culture, and on and on.

NYC has lots of negatives, but from where I stand, the smart ones stay, which is why the global elite and highest paid professions/industries can be found in places that are "unAmerican", like NYC, Boston, and San Fran. If you want the best and brightest, since when do you go to Podunk, Kentucky?

Old 07-12-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
GoBlue, there is a big world out there, and you are right...NYC is very "UnAmerican" as compared to the more stereotypical American value of guns, minimal diversity, 2 car garages with picket fences/front and backyards/ and now foreclosures, nonexistent downtown districts, strip malls, low wage jobs a plenty, useless if any public transportation/car based culture, and on and on.

NYC has lots of negatives, but from where I stand, the smart ones stay, which is why the global elite and highest paid professions/industries can be found in places that are "unAmerican", like NYC, Boston, and San Fran. If you want the best and brightest, since when do you go to Podunk, Kentucky?

I don't much like NYC but it's not because I can't afford it (which I can't). I simply am tired of city life. I've always been more of an outdoors person anyway.

On the other hand, I think many resent NYC because they can't afford to take advantage of all that it offers. They feel entitled to everything it offers.
I've been thinking of moving for a while and I'm saving for that possibility. NYC has a lot to offer precisely because it's not cheap.

A lot here might not know of the NYC in the 70's, 80's, and early 90's. It was a dump. No one wanted to be there. It was relatively cheap.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblue123 View Post
I bet mayor will get out of your crap-hole of a city as soon as he/she can. Personally, I can't wait to leave for the South ASAP.

NYC is not America as far as I'm concerned. Nowhere else in this country are people subjected to such sub-standard living conditions. But the smart ones will leave.... leaving people like you while you pay 2,000 for a one bedroom with no washer and dryer, and no parking space. Yeah, you're a real winner

If I can afford to pay 2k in rent, why not? I'd happily pay. I can't so I don't. It's as simple as that.
A few of my friends make a living which allow them to pay that kind of rent. I don't see anything wrong with it.

What's preventing you from landing a high paying job and taking advantage of all NYC has to offer? Who's to blame if you can't land one? I don't have one and I don't blame anyone but myself for the most part.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:10 AM

1,090 posts, read 3,167,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Why are you stuck? Are you caring for a sick relative? Are you handicapped? Are you living paycheck to paycheck? Why not just get a second job and combine those earnings with a couple of tax refunds and then move. If you really don't like it here that much, then why be so complacent towards the idea of motivating yourself to leave?
I think I've said a million times that my guy is finishing up at NYU. Believe me, I have a savings account. I can't wait to leave this cesspool. I'm making moves and counting down the days. If I could leave tomorrow, I would. Just riding out the wave. Don't worry about me.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:19 AM

Wow..omg..I am soooo sorry that some of you feel 40k/year is acceptable after earning your 4-year degree.

My cousin hasn't taken a college class in her life and landed an office admin. job in texas for mid 50s with benefits. Her rent? Approximately $600/month for a gated one bedroom apartment in a posh area of Dallas.

Let's be for real. Your employers are pocketing MILLIONS and they can't afford to pay at least 50k+...in NYC? What is the average rent here again?
I couldn't imagine sticking it out to live with my parents in this city.

Honestly though, NYC isn't changing. There are just TOO many people with their Bachelor's and Master's that are ok with being broke and struggling on 20-40k/year. That lifestyle is for YOU. Not for me. I'm saving up money and trying to remind myself that I'm just one day closer to being out of here.

No where is perfect, but the amount of "perks" doesn't outweigh the negatives. People are broke back in SoCal (just like NYC) but the weather is awesome, the beaches are clean and people are happier. You can do a million and one things outdoors for free. At least it has SOMETHING going for it--oh yeah..and there are parking spaces--that you don't have to pay for! lol. Much like other states in the country.

I'm personally over the crowds, filth, paranoid/jaded/bitter attitudes, insane fines/fees/laws/regulations, crappy pay, insanely expensive COL, etc. Is it awesome that there are stores open 24 hours in NYC and that you can travel almost anywhere in the city for $104/month? (Don't expect anything less than being packed like a sardine next to several people with the most atrocious BO you have witnessed in your life). Answer--YES. Can I live without that? HELL YES.

I've come to the conclusion that pay will always be poor here and people are just busting their butts to be miserable, for the mostpart. I don't envy the people who stay, when I leave. Some may be rich and YES, they can definitely enjoy this city. I'm not a fund baby, so it won't be the same for me lol.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post

This is coming from someone that just said 40k is acceptable..in a city where the average rent is like $1,500/month...and that may even be a bargain.

I'm glad you're content to be living here and I totally won't envy you in ten years when I'm anywhere else but here. I don't even mean that to be malicious, but now I'm seeing why this city will never change and pay will always stay low, for MOST professions. Someone out there is willing to settle for less.

If they are happy living in NYC with their parents bringing home 2k after taxes, hey, who am I to fault them? I'm lucky that we (my guy and I) aren't obligated to stay here and I'm saving to leave as soon as he graduates. People who don't like it here should move and that's exactly what I'll be doing!

Old 07-12-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BingCherry View Post
Wow..omg..I am soooo sorry that some of you feel 40k/year is acceptable after earning your 4-year degree.

My cousin hasn't taken a college class in her life and landed an office admin. job in texas for mid 50s with benefits. Her rent? Approximately $600/month for a gated one bedroom apartment in a posh area of Dallas.

Let's be for real. Your employers are pocketing MILLIONS and they can't afford to pay at least 50k+...in NYC? What is the average rent here again?
I couldn't imagine sticking it out to live with my parents in this city.

Honestly though, NYC isn't changing. There are just TOO many people with their Bachelor's and Master's that are ok with being broke and struggling on 20-40k/year. That lifestyle is for YOU. Not for me. I'm saving up money and trying to remind myself that I'm just one day closer to being out of here.

No where is perfect, but the amount of "perks" doesn't outweigh the negatives. People are broke back in SoCal (just like NYC) but the weather is awesome, the beaches are clean and people are happier. You can do a million and one things outdoors for free. At least it has SOMETHING going for it--oh yeah..and there are parking spaces--that you don't have to pay for! lol. Much like other states in the country.

I'm personally over the crowds, filth, paranoid/jaded/bitter attitudes, insane fines/fees/laws/regulations, crappy pay, insanely expensive COL, etc. Is it awesome that there are stores open 24 hours in NYC and that you can travel almost anywhere in the city for $104/month? (Don't expect anything less than being packed like a sardine next to several people with the most atrocious BO you have witnessed in your life). Answer--YES. Can I live without that? HELL YES.

I've come to the conclusion that pay will always be poor here and people are just busting their butts to be miserable, for the mostpart. I don't envy the people who stay, when I leave. Some may be rich and YES, they can definitely enjoy this city. I'm not a fund baby, so it won't be the same for me lol.

I agree with most of what you said but no one is saying that 40k/year is acceptable. We're saying that if you don't like it then move to a lower COL area or get a better paying job. Manhattan is Manhattan. Again, why do people feel entitled to everything Manhattan has to offer?

Also, the rest of the city is not as expensive as Manhattan. I have a friend living in Riverdale (BX) in a huge 1 bedroom for 875/month and he's going to make 110k this year. lol

NYC is expensive for a number of reasons. The main being the high cost of government through the huge number of gov't employees with inflated pay nad pensions and the the welfare state. Those are the 2 main contributors to the high COL.

Why is 40k out of college bad? Why the strong sense of entitlement? The median income in the US is 43k. There are lots of people making much less. You can't live in Manhattan on 40k but you can sure live in one of the other boroughs on it.
Some people have a ridiculous sens of entitlement.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:39 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
Bing sounds like you should leave. There is a big world out there and NYC is not for everyone, or most people actually. Instead of spending your energy bashing NYC, spend it looking forward to the blissful paradise that is Dallas or LA. You are not the first to be angry, upset, or bitter that you could not succeed in NY or live the life you feel you "deserve"..and you won't be the last. You are in good company...so enjoy life outside of NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City