Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2011, 08:46 AM

166 posts, read 443,634 times

Advertisements

BingCherry, I see the misery too. I know I don't want my life to be like that. That's why I say, if you are not happy somewhere, do what you can to get out. My frustration with NYC at the moment is strictly from an economical viewpoint. The job market sucks, but I believe there is really no place in the US right now with a thriving job market. At least here, I am close to opportunities which are of interest to me. For example, I went to grad school in Europe and the only US-based alumni chapter is here in NYC. So, I just have to stay positive and hope things will begin to improve. I am almost certain I will be living overseas again within 2 years time anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 08:53 AM

1,090 posts, read 3,167,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkeystatus View Post
BingCherry, I see the misery too. I know I don't want my life to be like that. That's why I say, if you are not happy somewhere, do what you can to get out. My frustration with NYC at the moment is strictly from an economical viewpoint. The job market sucks, but I believe there is really no place in the US right now with a thriving job market. At least here, I am close to opportunities which are of interest to me. For example, I went to grad school in Europe and the only US-based alumni chapter is here in NYC. So, I just have to stay positive and hope things will begin to improve. I am almost certain I will be living overseas again within 2 years time anyway.
Oh yeah. I agree. The economy is overall, not-so-great, which it what makes it even more difficult for me to accept all the negatives of NYC and I plan on moving. I think if I were wealthy I wouldn't feel the same way. Not sure I would want to live here forever, though.

I've just accepted that COL will always be insane, here, and pay is never going to catch up. It just won't. My thread definitely served a purpose.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:31 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,720,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingCherry View Post
My guy friend went to South Carolina and earned an Electrician certificate, real quick. He makes around 60k/year before taxes and pays $700 for a 2 bedroom apartment...with a pool...gated...

I snicker at all the anti-south sentiment on threads. My friends down south aren't even half as stressed as us. I envy them.
Yup! A lot of people forget that there are trades you can learn that are VERY valuable and pay well without needing to go to college. Plumbers, carpenters, etc...

My hubs knew this one overbearing mom who was extremely critical of her daughter's new boyfriend (who was going to be coming over for dinner to be formally introduced to the family). She went on and on about how her daughter deserved better, wanted someone who was college educated, a good provider, blah, blah blah...

The woman shut-the-F-up damn fast when the boyfriend pulled up into the driveway in a Ferrari. Apparently this woman was blissfully unaware of how much a good car mechanic -who owns his own shop- can earn.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:41 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,368,760 times
Well that has nothing to do with being a good mechanic, he is a good business owner. PS, just because you have alot of money or own your own business does not mean you are anything other than a business owner. He can still be a lousy provider and idiot, and have a rotten marriage.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:18 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,720,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Well that has nothing to do with being a good mechanic, he is a good business owner. PS, just because you have alot of money or own your own business does not mean you are anything other than a business owner. He can still be a lousy provider and idiot, and have a rotten marriage.
Perhaps, but he earned enough money as a mechanic to start his own business in the first place. If you're good, it pays well. So many people turn their nose up at trade skills when some of those people are living better than the rest of us. I also know a plumber who makes more than I do in a "slow year", a degree ain't everything if you have a valuable skill. If it weren't for the fact that you have to occasionally shovel someone else's poop to fix a broken sewer pipe, I'd consider switching careers.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:42 PM

33,999 posts, read 47,230,787 times
So we've hit the 63rd page of this thread. Any solutions yet? Only one I've seen so far (unless I missed out) is to learn a skilled trade. Otherwise IMO it looks like 63 pages of venting (which I have no problem with, who I am I to judge). Just sorry to see how the city, COL and current job situation is affecting so many people.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-20-2011, 05:44 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,495,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
So we've hit the 63rd page of this thread. Any solutions yet? Only one I've seen so far (unless I missed out) is to learn a skilled trade. Otherwise IMO it looks like 63 pages of venting (which I have no problem with, who I am I to judge). Just sorry to see how the city, COL and current job situation is affecting so many people.
Yea it's a sad situation all around. Wish things would pick back up so more people could find work and get paid decently. It's a shame that some of those who love NY can't afford to stay.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:30 PM

188 posts, read 414,326 times
And it is not just NYC. I have been reading in various forum sections (Denver, Portland, Minneapolis, Seattle, Italy/Switzerland, New Zealand), where people are talking about how bad the economy is and people are looking to move there without a job lined up.

A reason I believe some people are not moving is because they are working to just make ends meet, and have little or no money left to save up for moving. And with the way the economy is it is tougher to pick up a second job (although not impossible).

I know people say to move South, but I know that is something that would cause me more stress, always having to rely on a car. I like being able to walk/ride my bike where I need to go, even if it takes a little longer. Easier spacing my time, instead of constantly rushing to squeeze everything in.

Eventually the salaries will need to catch up, or property taxes will need to go down, so that rents can go down.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:37 PM

33,999 posts, read 47,230,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachrunner View Post
And it is not just NYC.
You don't say....

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-20-2011, 09:08 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,167,189 times
DREAM JOB-Base, Bonuses, & Benefits (http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/csr/2500151759.html - broken link)

Dream job? At a whopping 30k?

This one is even better----MUST HAVE A DEGREE AND YEARS OF EXPERIENCE FOR 30k

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/acc/2495636523.html (broken link)

Oh boy, I'm going to have a field day with these.

This one, too!

http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/ofc/2491229240.html (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City