Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2011, 09:54 PM

589 posts, read 1,217,969 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately in this current job market it really is who you know over what you know, especially when what you know is easily taught.

Unless you have a very desirable skill (people skills it NOT one of them) you can easily be replaced which is why the salaries are very low.

Lucky for us there are laws preventing major work being done by interns because I truly believe these companies would rather hire hundreds of interns then actual employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 12:50 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,580,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
There are some lessons to be learned from all of this. Most of us were raised to get a good education (debt) and go out and get a good job working for other people (dependence). Now these things that we were taught are no longer in our best interest.....gone are the days where paychecks are guaranteed, people work over 20 years at the same job and lay offs hardly ever happen. The new reality has taught us that no one is safe and instead of teaching our children and grandchildren to be dependent on a company in order to survive in this world we all better un-learn what we were taught growing up and learn how to become independent. This way the next time a recession happens people will hopefully be better prepared to weather the storm!
the computer's telling me i have to spread some rep around before i can rep you again

Old 05-20-2011, 01:09 AM

16,200 posts, read 22,986,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
There are some lessons to be learned from all of this. Most of us were raised to get a good education (debt) and go out and get a good job working for other people (dependence). Now these things that we were taught are no longer in our best interest.....gone are the days where paychecks are guaranteed, people work over 20 years at the same job and lay offs hardly ever happen. The new reality has taught us that no one is safe and instead of teaching our children and grandchildren to be dependent on a company in order to survive in this world we all better un-learn what we were taught growing up and learn how to become independent. This way the next time a recession happens people will hopefully be better prepared to weather the storm!
Sadly enough this is the new type of america that we live in. Also in this city workers are a commidity, your elitest ny jewish ceo, or your transplant wasp cfo can have you replaced in a moments notice and pay the next shrub the same living wage as what you earned. reps for you though.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 05-20-2011 at 01:34 AM..

Old 05-20-2011, 06:56 AM

1,090 posts, read 3,163,705 times
I just wanted to say that I finally got an interview at a REAL company and not just with a recruiter. I'll be interviewed by two girls who are ABOUT 22 years old. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

It seems like all of the places I temp and interview they have "brand new" employees and they all graduated in the last year...pretty young...but I'm about 26 years old myself.

The girls I'm interviewing with have been at their positions for less than a year and already moved up into HR. The investment firm seems to be expanding and growing rapidly. I hope I get a 2nd interview or I am going to feel VERY insulted. I looked them both up on LinkedIn and their work experience is not impressive at all...about 1/2 of what I have.

I hate to admit it you guys, but I'm a little turned off by the fact that two girls who are younger than me and have much less experience are actually going to be interviewing me. I'm going to try to go in with an open mind and good attitude, but if they try to cherrypick with me and I don't get a 2nd interview I'm going to be super pissed.

I hope their youthful ignorance works to my advantage.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:58 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,663,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
I do some of the SAME exact stuff. I paint my own nails, wax my eyebrows, buy used designer clothes for a couple of bucks at garage sales and wash them off. NO ONE CAN TELL. Everyone tells me how great I look and they wouldn't imagine my entire outfit cost less than $20.

I make almost everything from scratch. I look up free stuff to do and I definitely don't blow my money at the bar or going out to eat too often.
This recession has put the fear of GOD in me.
Thanks for the insider info. I see

Just kidding

Fear of God is a necessary instrument for good living and personal discipline. It takes you faaaaaaaar.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:04 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,663,567 times
Quote:
I just wanted to say that I finally got an interview at a REAL company and not just with a recruiter. I'll be interviewed by two girls who are ABOUT 22 years old. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

It seems like all of the places I temp and interview they have "brand new" employees and they all graduated in the last year...pretty young...but I'm about 26 years old myself.

The girls I'm interviewing with have been at their positions for less than a year and already moved up into HR. The investment firm seems to be expanding and growing rapidly. I hope I get a 2nd interview or I am going to feel VERY insulted. I looked them both up on LinkedIn and their work experience is not impressive at all...about 1/2 of what I have.

I hate to admit it you guys, but I'm a little turned off by the fact that two girls who are younger than me and have much less experience are actually going to be interviewing me. I'm going to try to go in with an open mind and good attitude, but if they try to cherrypick with me and I don't get a 2nd interview I'm going to be super pissed.

I was 26 when I interviewed men in their 40s. My boss made me do it coz I was the subject matter expert presently available in the team and I was basically recruiting a team mate.

If the shoe was on the other foot, my ego would be bruised I bet. But eventually, my happiness and ego are measured by the happiness of my bank account when there is a steady influx of a monthly deposit

Think of the bank account when you take the interview, it will make you overlook the young women questioning you.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:20 AM

51 posts, read 281,583 times
Quote:

The young women could also be somebody's daughters or nieces or girlfriends... they weren't necessarily hired for their qualifications. But they're not much younger than you. Try to bond with them during the interview and not be intimidating.

Good luck with the interview!

Old 05-20-2011, 08:47 AM

1,090 posts, read 3,163,705 times
Thanks for the tips you guys. I'm telling my ego to shut up and trying to go in there with a smile . I just hope they don't grill the hell outta me. lol

Old 05-20-2011, 09:21 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,943,987 times
I work in finance, and the job market in NYC is so competitive that you really need to stand out to get those big salaries.

It sort of the if you can make it here, you can make it anywhere mentality.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:24 AM

1,804 posts, read 2,362,021 times
Quote:
Thanks for the tips you guys. I'm telling my ego to shut up and trying to go in there with a smile . I just hope they don't grill the hell outta me. lol
lol@ego

They have a job
You don't

Statistically, they're better than you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City