Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 07:52 AM

1,090 posts, read 3,167,373 times

Advertisements

......I must have bumped my head. Are we living in NYC or Bumblefunk, Louisiana? The last time I checked, it costs $1,500 to rent a decent one-bedroom in Brooklyn.

I've been looking on Craigslist, Monster and the likes. I see MANY positions that require extensive experience AND a Bachelors degre. They're paying an average of $35,000/year. WHAT?!?!?!?! I repeat, THEY WANT YOU TO HAVE A 4-year degree!!!

I am not sure about you guys, but I'm hardballing it and waiting for something that pays at least $50,000/year. I know I didn't go to college to be eating Top Ramen for the rest of my life. Employers CAN afford to pay a few more thousand a year, but with so many people coming to NYC in search of their "dream" and "lots of jobs & money", I guess they have the upperhand on us, huh? (Give it a few more business quarters. Things ARE improving and this *hopefully* should NOT last for long...knock on wood.)

Am I being unreasonable to want $50,000/year???? I prefer not to mess up my resume and job hop, so holding off seems like the responsible thing for me to do. I'm taking temp jobs at the moment for flexibility to interview. Of course you get soooo many interviewers asking why you have been temping the last 2 years. I have had to explain to them, a million times, that I went back to college full-time. Besides that, are they TOTALLY unaware that we're in the midst of one of the worst recessions of the century???? I know MANY who have been unemployed for over a year.

Feedback? How's your job search going and what is the minimum salary you're willing to accept? How do you feel about things here in NYC? How much do you feel one has to make in order to live comfortably?

I say it takes a reasonable 50k/year, unless you're in a relationship and have a partner that is making an equally good salary as well. Even on 50k, you'll be able to pay the bills and have some fun, but you won't be putting much in your savings account at the end of the day. Retirement looks like it will be happening, for me, when I'm 95, if these NYC employers don't stop being a bunch of cheapskates.

Last edited by BingCherry; 05-17-2011 at 08:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 08:14 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
Because of how tight the Economy is....It's an Employers market they have the upper hand in this type of environment. With it being such a dog fight for any job, they (employers) know they can low ball salaries and still possibly attract well qualified individuals to take the job.

In the Clinton era (90's) when the Economy was running high on all cylinders, it was an Employees market, because Employers were the ones doing the Dog Fighting for the top talent... Its totally supply and demand....when supply outweighs demand Employers have the upper hand....vice versa Employees have the upper..

This is why I tell co-workers and collegues This is not the best time to be making waves, demanding raises and promotions you will talk yourself right out of a job. Just stay the course until you hear about the economy starting to turn back to the employees advantage then you go in for the kill.

At my firm I can tell you we did slash salaries on open positions, someone working as Sr Analyst traditionally started at 70K, now we start at high 50's low 60's for the same position....Entry levels/Jr's started at 60K is now down to low 50's

Old 05-17-2011, 08:20 AM

285 posts, read 868,421 times
Have never seen jobs that low, wow. What industry are you looking in? What's your background? Perhaps I can make some suggestions on where/how to look.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyslp View Post
Have never seen jobs that low, wow. What industry are you looking in? What's your background? Perhaps I can make some suggestions on where/how to look.
I'm looking in Finance. Investment Firms...banking..the likes. I don't know if it has anything to do with where I'm looking. These businesses are some of the higher paying and they seem to be low balling it, too.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Because of how tight the Economy is....It's an Employers market they have the upper hand in this type of environment. With it being such a dog fight for any job, they (employers) know they can low ball salaries and still possibly attract well qualified individuals to take the job.

In the Clinton era (90's) when the Economy was running high on all cylinders, it was an Employees market, because Employers were the ones doing the Dog Fighting for the top talent... Its totally supply and demand....when supply outweighs demand Employers have the upper hand....vice versa Employees have the upper..

This is why I tell co-workers and collegues This is not the best time to be making waves, demanding raises and promotions you will talk yourself right out of a job. Just stay the course until you hear about the economy starting to turn back to the employees advantage then you go in for the kill.

At my firm I can tell you we did slash salaries on open positions, someone working as Sr Analyst traditionally started at 70K, now we start at high 50's low 60's for the same position....Entry levels/Jr's started at 60K is now down to low 50's
You're right. I REALLY hope we go back to those days. When I came here in 2007 it felt like *I* had the upperhand in the market. People were chasing ME for an interview and I didn't even have a degree yet!

Old 05-17-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
I just saw TWO positions in legal firms offering $25,000-30,000. NO LIE. They're still up on Monster.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:43 AM

In finance, not even a receptionist would make $25k.

Hedge funds are known for paying more even though the hours tend to be long. Executive assistants, if you are experienced, can make $100k. Entry level will pay significantly less - but never $25-40k in finance. Associates at a mid-level firm will start with no less than $60k.
I am no longer looking but a recruiter I used to work with tried to tempt me yesterday with an offer of $65k for an executive assistant job at a media company. I'm not interested, but I thought that was way too low.

Find a recruiter like Robert Half to work on your behalf.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
In finance, not even a receptionist would make $25k.

Hedge funds are known for paying more even though the hours tend to be long. Executive assistants, if you are experienced, can make $100k. Entry level will pay significantly less - but never $25-40k in finance. Associates at a mid-level firm will start with no less than $60k.
I am no longer looking but a recruiter I used to work with tried to tempt me yesterday with an offer of $65k for an executive assistant job at a media company. I'm not interested, but I thought that was way too low.

Find a recruiter like Robert Half to work on your behalf.
I have had several recruiters call me about reception/admin. positions for hedgefunds or investment firms that are paying in the 36k/year range..give or take.

One recruiter got straight to the point and asked me how much money I am looking for. Since I have 7 years of experience (with 3.5 of those specifically as an executive assistant), I told her no less than 40k for administrative assistant and no less than 33k for reception positions. Let's just say I haven't heard from her since and I did attempt to follow up.

How many years of experience do you have? While 65k sounds good, to me, you're right--it should pay more and I respect you for holding off for the right paying position.

Employers need to understand that they're going to get what they pay for and those of us with experience and education MAY take the initial job offer, but we're going to be out of there the second something better comes along.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:58 AM

I am no longer interested in the field, which is why I declined. But it served me well for a number of years.

If you have experience as an executive assistant, then DEFINITELY get a couple of recruiters. Ask for referrals for a good one who won't waste your time.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
I am no longer interested in the field, which is why I declined. But it served me well for a number of years.

If you have experience as an executive assistant, then DEFINITELY get a couple of recruiters. Ask for referrals for a good one who won't waste your time.
I'm interviewing with as many recruiters as possible. I've had about 30 call me in the last 2 months. I would say I have registered/interviewed with about a dozen at this point. Most have submitted my resume, 2 got me an interview (position was later eliminated by execs *sigh*) and one is getting me a steady stream of temporary work. I guess I'm just aiming to interview with as many recruiters as possible. It's a numbers game and eventually 2-3 of them will be worth my time and offer me something reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City