Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 03:37 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,546,965 times

Advertisements

I know this is NYC (supply & demand) and people justify charging these kinds of rents.

However what never stops amazing me in this city is that no one even blinks an eye at paying $2100 a month for an apartment! Guess we are all so used to the huge cost of living here that we don't think anything is wrong with paying that kind of money for something we don't own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 11:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,306 times
I own a unregulated apt in brooklyn as well. I increased my tenants rent as much as 275.00. They paid it. It may seem a bit much. All of the tenants have occupied the apts for a good couple of years. Some 7 years, a few 4 years. After a year past I increased it by 100 dollars every year. Some years, I increased rents only 25.00 dollars. Some years property services were overutilized, I increase accordingly. I believe in keeping good tenants. If, they are good tenants and have only paid late twice, what you have plan to do seems fair. I would talk to them and let them know you need the increase.

Last edited by cindy22; 03-10-2013 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: lack of spaces and spelling

Old 03-11-2013, 07:03 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
It's reasonable and they will likely accept.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,299 times
sombody help i moved into an apartment not nowing it was considered illegal i moved into the basement to start over my life now after 8 months the tell me i must leave since they need the place for other purposed i got 3 weeks to move so i told them i will not be able to get a place in that time since i also need some time to save for my next apartment help me

Old 03-11-2013, 07:13 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
Just don't move until you find something suitable. Only a judge can force you out and this will take them time. It is also likely that the very LAST thing the owners want to do is stand in front of a judge and admit to renting out an illegal apartment.
(Save evidence of rent payments.)

If they have told you the apartment is illegal, give them no more rent...you owe them nothing.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:59 PM

1 posts, read 655 times
I am a land lord, The one year lease agreement with my tenant is about to expire. Current rent per month for the(2 bed room, 1 bath room) apt. is $1440.00. Is an increase of $60.00 per month (new rent per month $1500.00) reasonable?

Old 08-02-2016, 09:04 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,596,424 times
Crazy idea: Why do rents have to increase every years?
Do salaries increase every year?
Does the cost of electricity? Or gas? (no)
I just don't understand this NYC idea that rents will always go up every year.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:10 PM

419 posts, read 625,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
property tax dude, it increases significantly.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:11 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,474,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I agree

It seems like NYC landlords are REALLY pushing it, a 1BR in the South Bronx should not go for 1300 a month.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:51 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,337,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisNYC View Post
What do you think is a reasonable rent increase for a non-regulated apt in Brooklyn NY. I have good tenants who have only been late twice in the past two years, for minor reasons. I didn't raise there rent with our past renewal, but this year I will need to for sure. The apartment goes for $2350 to $2500 but I'm only charging $2100. Most people would of raised the rent the first year, but I'm a reasonable person so I'm here seeking honest reasonable feedback. I'm willing to do a 2 year lease as well. I look forward to reading your input.
You leased them your apartment at lower than market price. You cannot raise their rent so much to bring it up to "market price." Maybe they would not have even rented your apartment at market price.

Also, are they your only tenants, or have you more? What are you planning to do with the other tenants? Raise their rent the same high percentage? You have to to be fair to all tenants, if not, it will make bad blood among the tenants.

So, I too, would say a $ 100 raise would be fair, especially if they are good tenants, even if it is a 5% raise, a lot.
Not every LL gives yearly raises, some rarely give raises.

Those are the decent and human LLs. I mean you cash monthly $ 2,100, what is your monthly monetary gain???????

Last edited by rent.in.nyc; 08-03-2016 at 09:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: