Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 12:09 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,874,299 times

Advertisements

Papa John's has good pizza =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 12:36 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,589,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowneline View Post
It's the probably the same reason many people flock to Taco Bell and other chain places here in So Cal,
i spoke to a person who ate at the first ever taco bell in socal and he said the food back then was good. it wasn't "chain" at that point. that came later. he said this first taco bell was really small.

Last edited by grimace8; 05-25-2011 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-25-2011, 01:13 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,441,846 times
it depends on the area of the country where you live in is how good the local pizza places are .me i like papa johin's and bojangle's and few other place that are national chain..

but for every good place out there as one person said there is hunderd's more that are bad and i have tasted a few of them in the city ..

Old 05-25-2011, 05:39 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowneline View Post
...many people simply don't have discearning food tastes, and don't care about getting the best food.
You completely nailed it. I was so caught up in my New York attitude, that I completely forgot that this is America and most people don't care what food tastes like as long as it is cheap and there is plenty of it. Just look to all of the successful buffet chains.

The husband and I had to go to Vegas for a family thing a few years back and his family expected us to go to a buffet for EVERY MEAL. I thought I was going to die. Not because I am a NY snob and wanted truffled mashed potatoes, I just wanted some fresh vegetables that hadn't been passed over on a steam table for 8 hours.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:52 PM

650 posts, read 1,326,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
why would anybody go to Papa Johns/Dominos when the pizza shop down the block is 5x yummier?

is Papa Johns/Dominos open 24 hrs a day? maybe thats the reason?
Lol that's not always the case. The nearby pizza shops [no down the block shops] are just plain ol pizza shops. I've never been big on that. I like Little Caesars, plus the price can't be beat, $5 for a large pizza. I like to alternate though, one specific taste all the time gets boring after a while.

Plus I just don't care lol, everything doesn't have to be from a one-of-a-kind place, I actually eat from chain restaurants more than I do from non-chain restaurants, then again I'm in Queens and there's not that much of either where I live.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:51 PM

988 posts, read 3,253,984 times
Why are we arguing about pizza, the real problem are the fast-food Chinese joints in NYC. Outside of Chinatown, i've only found 1 good one out of dozens. Most use "grey" chicken meat, tasteless can shrimp, questionable beef, old veggies, tons of cheap old oil, and the lowest quality ingredients imaginable. I'd rather pay more for quality than eat at any of these joints here. I was most disappointed about the lack of quality of Chinese take-out in NYC than anything else.

Back to pizza, since living in NYC for 2 years, i've NEVER ordered a pizza from a National chain but have had my fair share of crappy mom and pop joints.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:34 PM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Never knew people went in so much about pizza. To me its all the same with one or 2 stand out exceptions. I can order Papa Johns online or get the $6.99 large pie around my way. No big deal.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-25-2011, 09:24 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,566,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
Why are we arguing about pizza, the real problem are the fast-food Chinese joints in NYC. Outside of Chinatown, i've only found 1 good one out of dozens. Most use "grey" chicken meat, tasteless can shrimp, questionable beef, old veggies, tons of cheap old oil, and the lowest quality ingredients imaginable.
Yes, amen to that! I STILL remember the one time that I ordered Chinese takeout in NY (it was the last if that tells you anything). I ordered General Tsao's chicken, about as basic and simple as Chinese food can get. The chicken was so nasty, OMG! I ate two pieces of it and tossed in the trash. The egg roll and wonton soup were edible, but just barely. I would have been happy to just pay extra and have quality ingredients in my food, but for some reason most do not operate this way.

Upsanddowns- lol you don't have to have a huge freezer to store the pies I mentioned. They are Chicago-style so they're chubby and compact. They are shipped in round plastic containers instead of big, bulky cardboard boxes. Someone should seriously try them, you won't be disappointed!

Old 05-25-2011, 11:25 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
My office gets Papa John's every Friday and I think it's low end crap compared to good pizzeria style slices or even a better national brand like Round Table. Sure i'll stuff down a few pieces of ham and pineapple since it's free and filling and tastes okay if you're hungry, but it never occurred to me to order chain pizza when I lived in NY. That seemed like what you did when you were stuck out in the suburbs of anywheresville USA and had no better options without a ton of hassle.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:45 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
Lets not live under the delusion that every pizza joint is stellar. For every good one..there are 25 really bad/copy cats/fakes/crappy ones....and 90% of these pizzerias are run by the same Mexicans who do sheetrock on their off-days (like most restaurant kitchens these days).

So if those 25 crappy ones are doing just fine...why would you think Papa and Dominoes would not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City