Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 11:01 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,919,501 times

Advertisements

It went out of fashion went the media and the powers that be said so. I do see a re-emergence due to this show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 12:40 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,361,803 times
This is a biased question...as if men are now in shorts and t-shirt at Nobu and women are dressed in high fashion and 4 inch heels. The question should be when did PEOPLE stop getting dressed for dinner? But to answer your question, men stopped wearing a suit/tie for dinner when women stopped wearing the little black dress for dinner. Which was probably in the 60s/70s when our social revolution took place....

Old 05-26-2011, 12:56 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,026,664 times
Quote:
I have been catching up on Mad Men Season 4, and for some reason when watching that show I 've always noticed that whenever they show a dinner scene on that show, all the men wear suits and ties out on the town at night (it's set in the early 1960's, for the uninitiated).
Remember that in Mad Men these guys are usually enjoying a night out AFTER work and BEFORE a long commute home, so what they are wearing reflects what they must wear at work. Since ad-agencies are so client oriented, a stiff shirted look lasted longer there than in a back room at a brokerage house or an IT crowd working in a a maze of cubicles.

Casual dining (and theater and opera) came in when casual clothes for the office became okay.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:24 PM

876 posts, read 2,140,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
There are still a few gentlemen out there that would choose to inconvenience themselves for one night to simply dress up and take their girlfriend/fiancee/wife out to dinner...

to answer your question... I don't know when chivalry became out of style but it seemed to die out in the 80s... Before that it was common practice for the man to open the door for a girl, stand on the side of the road just in case a car brushes by on a rainy day and water splashes, to dress up for a date, to court the woman properly, to pay for her meal, car ride, or whatever... It was just a more unselfish and chivalrous time back then...
Chivalry died with the woman's movement. All the changes in society came with the women's movement.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:59 PM

205 posts, read 507,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
Chivalry died with the woman's movement. All the changes in society came with the women's movement.
Man tell me about it. Women you want equality fine you got it. No problem. But your perks for being a woman go bye bye. We are EQUAL. Open your own door. No Im not giving up my seat for you. No Im not helping you. You can pay for your own half. Oh and if the boat sinks your going down with me. LOL.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:32 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,565,530 times
I don't think people should dress to the nines for dinner nowadays, but I always appreciate it when I see someone looking nice and making the effort.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:44 AM

11,624 posts, read 12,678,986 times
Some restaurants used to have signs posted "Jacket and tie required." If you weren't wearing one, the restaurant would give you one to wear if you wanted to stay and of course, they looked terrible and didn't fit. Women didn't wear pants much until the late 60s.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:15 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,026,664 times
Quote:
Women didn't wear pants much until the late 60s.
Except for Katherine Hepburn!

Old 05-27-2011, 10:07 AM

237 posts, read 329,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
There are still a few gentlemen out there that would choose to inconvenience themselves for one night to simply dress up and take their girlfriend/fiancee/wife out to dinner...

to answer your question... I don't know when chivalry became out of style but it seemed to die out in the 80s... Before that it was common practice for the man to open the door for a girl, stand on the side of the road just in case a car brushes by on a rainy day and water splashes, to dress up for a date, to court the woman properly, to pay for her meal, car ride, or whatever... It was just a more unselfish and chivalrous time back then...

To be honest... I know people will criticize and probably disagree with me but I think that facebook and twitter really had something to do with selfishness and egos of men growing to the point where they care more about their own concerns and feelings over anyone else... Sites like these only encourage self-gratification because all we do is give people the time of day to just vent or discuss their lives in public and we choose to like these comments and respond to their egotistical posts...
I dunno about others guys out there, but I stopped being chivalrous because women stopped appreciating it. Actually, women started opening mocking it. so from now on, women, open your own doors

Last edited by bmwguydc; 05-28-2011 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 05-27-2011, 06:50 PM

371 posts, read 815,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Remember that in Mad Men these guys are usually enjoying a night out AFTER work and BEFORE a long commute home, so what they are wearing reflects what they must wear at work. Since ad-agencies are so client oriented, a stiff shirted look lasted longer there than in a back room at a brokerage house or an IT crowd working in a a maze of cubicles.

Casual dining (and theater and opera) came in when casual clothes for the office became okay.
I did recognize that in my original post. I don't think men in wore suits out to dinner simply because they were coming from work. I think that is just went men did. If you watch those dinner scenes on the show, all of the men in the restaurants have suitson, and I doubt every single one came straight from work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City