Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 06:45 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,236,440 times

Advertisements

We've just been offered a Mitchell-Lama unit at Pratt Towers in Clinton Hill (Lafayette & Grand, directly across the street from Pratt). I know the projects are half-a-block away but does anyone have any on-the-ground experience?

We currently live in Washington Heights and I lived in Harlem before that and I'm pretty street-smart. I just don't want to move into a war zone and I know that the police recently installed one of those sky watcher things nearby.

We are going to walk around this weekend, but it's always good to hear from people who live in the neighborhood. (That is, if you haven't lived there and don't have first hand experience, please don't pull out the scare tactics. I've seen that far too many times on this board.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 09:31 PM

33,389 posts, read 46,804,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
We've just been offered a Mitchell-Lama unit at Pratt Towers in Clinton Hill (Lafayette & Grand, directly across the street from Pratt). I know the projects are half-a-block away but does anyone have any on-the-ground experience?

We currently live in Washington Heights and I lived in Harlem before that and I'm pretty street-smart. I just don't want to move into a war zone and I know that the police recently installed one of those sky watcher things nearby.

We are going to walk around this weekend, but it's always good to hear from people who live in the neighborhood. (That is, if you haven't lived there and don't have first hand experience, please don't pull out the scare tactics. I've seen that far too many times on this board.)
I live across the street from the projects now. Actually i'm like 3/4ths surrounded by projects. If you know what its like to live in the hood then the neighborhood safety issue shouldnt even be a concern. I go to work and come home. If you do the same then you shouldnt have a problem.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-25-2011, 09:43 PM

I'm looking for a neighborhood I can enjoy, go to the local park (I've heard Underwood is great, if overused), eat at the restaurants, etc. I don't want to feel locked in my gated building.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:27 PM

1 posts, read 12,340 times
I just got a letter today as well. Going to look at the apartment in the next day or so. It's tough. I live in an amazing, albeit more expensive place. It's super bright, has amazing views and great neighbors.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:51 AM

961 posts, read 2,456,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post

I happen to live in the area, I shop at the Pioneer on Lafayette and Grand and tend to frequent the bar right around the corner from it. I live right across the street from those same projects (Lafayette Gardens) on DeKalb, trust me if me and my girl have no problem here you won't over there. The projects won't be an issue for you at all, I actually envy that you get to live on that side of Classon I like it there. The surrounding area has great architecture and alot of things to do. And they do have several parks nearby as well.

BTW, I didn't know Pratt towers were Mitchell-Lama, I assumed they were dorms for college students, I'd have to look into that. What do they require? And whats the range in rent?

Last edited by twist07; 05-26-2011 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: parks

Old 05-26-2011, 02:15 PM

25,341 posts, read 36,845,576 times
Years ago, I had a teacher-friend who rented an old row home from Pratt, right on the edge of the campus.

I got a bit nervous leaving parties at his house late at night.

But Mitchell-Lama's co-ops are SO desirable and SO cheap that they are hard to pass up.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/hpd/download...-Towers-Ad.pdf

How long were you on the waiting list?

Old 05-26-2011, 02:18 PM

Hey luckydog, I'd love to hear about your visit. When I called, I was told the person I needed to speak to was on vacation. I will definitely call back today.
eta: Thanks for your thoughts on the area. I appreciate it.

Twist07, the building is a co-op. I entered a lottery in January or February that was posted on the HPD site:
HPD - Homebuyers - Current Housing Lotteries

Old 05-26-2011, 05:08 PM

25,341 posts, read 36,845,576 times
I am not 100% sure exactly where the Pratt Towers are in relation to the University but when we left a party on the campus, there was one side of the school that we COULD walk on and one side that we were told to avoid.

As I recall the walk to the subway was pretty long.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:50 PM

961 posts, read 2,456,531 times
If you've lived in Harlem or Washington Heights, this area shouldn't bother you. Even the roughest parts (which happens to be my block), are really not that bad in comparison. I'm always seeing young people, and very often attractive single females, walking alone at 3am on their way from a party or bar. They walk right in front of the projects and no one pays them any mind, they've become a fixture around here. You'll be ok with regards to safety, just don't do anything stupid.....

Old 05-27-2011, 06:36 PM

9 posts, read 33,571 times
What is the building like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City