Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 11:20 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,300 times

Advertisements

Not Koreantowns. Not Little Saigons. Not Japantowns.
CHINATOWNS, a congregation of people of ethnic Chinese decent (i.e. people from Taiwan and Singapore, as well as ethnic Chinese from Malaysia or the Philippines count)

I knew of 3.
1) Obviously Manhattan. the postcard Chinatown.
2) Flushings, Queens. the REAL Chinatown.
3) Sunset Park, Brooklyn. the Chinatown no one knows about.

Later I found out there were '4'.
4) Little Fujian, Lower Eastern Manhattan - It's small...and arguably a part of the Manhattan Chinatown.. I'm not counting this as one. I'll just think Manhattan's Chinatown is hugnormous.

Then I read on Wikipedia there were 3 in Brooklyn. I couldn't believe it and thought some people were starting to label a congregation of Asian restaurants Chinatown.

So tell me.
How many REAL Chinatown are their? Even if their small? I know the criteria is ambiguous...

Just out of curiosity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 07:07 AM

979 posts, read 4,456,097 times
You seem to be the expert. Why don't you tell us.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:41 AM

730 posts, read 2,053,658 times
You also have a Chinatown in Elmhurst, Queens, around Broadway and Whitney Avenue and a rising Chinatown along Avenue U in Homecrest, Brooklyn. Your "Little Fujian" is basically becoming an extension of the Manhattan Chinatown on the Lower East Side.

And if you also count the Philippines, you have a Little Manila in Woodside, Queens, along Roosevelt Av between 63rd and 72nd Streets.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:21 AM

175 posts, read 487,183 times
Let's see.

Manhattan: Chinatown - It really goes through a few neighborhoods, like little italy if you go up mott and elizabeth, and lower east side when you go all the way down canal into essex.

Brooklyn: Avenue U has a pretty decent sized Chinatown, just a bunch of supermarkets and restuarants.
8th Ave or Sunset Park is like from 65th street to like the 40s. It's still growing. Lots of fukinese people there now.
86th Street near bay parkway has a decent number of restaurants and shops.
66th Street and Bay parkway also has a few supermarkets and restaurants.
Near Kings highway and like west 10th theres a few.
Basically anywhere along the N line in brooklyn has a ****load of chinese people.

Queens: Elmhurst, Flushing are the 2 main ones.

Bronx: Not really sure but where there's a chinese supermarket theres a good amount of chinese people.

Staten Island, same as the bronx.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,127,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkFriedRice View Post
Let's see.

Manhattan: Chinatown - It really goes through a few neighborhoods, like little italy if you go up mott and elizabeth, and lower east side when you go all the way down canal into essex.

Brooklyn: Avenue U has a pretty decent sized Chinatown, just a bunch of supermarkets and restuarants.
8th Ave or Sunset Park is like from 65th street to like the 40s. It's still growing. Lots of fukinese people there now.
86th Street near bay parkway has a decent number of restaurants and shops.
66th Street and Bay parkway also has a few supermarkets and restaurants.
Near Kings highway and like west 10th theres a few.
Basically anywhere along the N line in brooklyn has a ****load of chinese people.

Queens: Elmhurst, Flushing are the 2 main ones.

Bronx: Not really sure but where there's a chinese supermarket theres a good amount of chinese people.

Staten Island, same as the bronx.
I live in Staten Island, and I know that there are a lot of Asians (not necessarily Chinese: I see some Indian and South Asian people there as well) in areas near the Staten Island Expressway. However, it is nowhere near enough to be considered a Chinatown.

This map by the NY Times showing the results of the last census seems to be pretty accurate: Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com. Around Bradley Avenue, there is the largest concentration of Asians (24%).

There are some sections of Coney Island, Brighton Beach, and City Line with a decent number of Asians, but I'm not sure if they are actually Chinese.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:30 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,300 times
^
24% sounds like a lot, but if you look at Manhattan Chinatown, or in Queens, you'll see that the asian population there is higher than 50%.

Avenue U has a few grocery stores then, in Brooklyn? It's not that I don't take your word for it, but it actually is a Chinatown-sorta then? o.O

And Queens has two of them?? Not the Koreantown that is outside the Chinatown? I know people get those confused.

So Brooklyn doesn't really have a Chinatown. It's more all of North Brooklyn has a good amount of ethnic Chinese, and in some areas have a higher concentration of shops?
I guess I could see that. It would explain that random Chinese Seafood Wearhouse I saw they had in the middle of Jewtown in Williamsburg. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by modsquad81 View Post
You seem to be the expert. Why don't you tell us.
Thank you for your useful input.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:52 PM

175 posts, read 487,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
^
24% sounds like a lot, but if you look at Manhattan Chinatown, or in Queens, you'll see that the asian population there is higher than 50%.

Avenue U has a few grocery stores then, in Brooklyn? It's not that I don't take your word for it, but it actually is a Chinatown-sorta then? o.O

And Queens has two of them?? Not the Koreantown that is outside the Chinatown? I know people get those confused.

So Brooklyn doesn't really have a Chinatown. It's more all of North Brooklyn has a good amount of ethnic Chinese, and in some areas have a higher concentration of shops?
I guess I could see that. It would explain that random Chinese Seafood Wearhouse I saw they had in the middle of Jewtown in Williamsburg. :P

Thank you for your useful input.
Ave u has a lot of chinese stores and restaurnats and bakeries. 8th ave in brooklyn probbaly has more chinese people than the manhattan chinatown.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:41 PM

209 posts, read 253,556 times
Let's break it down.

Manhattan, there is one in Lower Manhattan. The western portion is the long time established Cantonese Chinatown. The eastern portion is the more recently developed Fuzhou Chinatown.
__________________________________________________ ______
Queens, there are two of them. Flushing is the largest one. As a matter of fact, it is the largest one in all of NYC due the influxes of so many different Chinese groups in all different parts of China and Taiwan that speak Mandarin. As a result, it now holds the crown as the center of Chinese culture in NYC.

Elmhurst also has another one and it is like Flushing where it is different variety of Chinese groups, but it is smaller.

The Chinese in Queens are very spread out throughout eastern Queens, but Flushing and Elmhurst are the primary concentrations.
__________________________________________________ ____
As for Brooklyn, their largest Chinatown is in Sunset Park. It is now mainly Fuzhou populated with some scattering numbers of remaining Cantonese.

Bensonhurst also has a very large Chinese population, which are mainly Cantonese populated. The latest statistic shows the Chinese population in Bensonhurst is bigger than in Sunset Park, but they are more spread out and mixed in with the Italians, Russians and other ethnic groups instead of concentrating in one section unlike in Sunset Park.

The Chinese businesses and gathering centers for the Chinese to shop in Bensonhurst are mostly concentrated on 18th Avenue, Bay Parkway and 86th Street sections. Therefore, you can say there are 3 little Chinatowns within Bensonhurst.

Sheepshead Bay also has a Chinese population, but is a lot smaller. Their population and businesses mostly are concentrated in a small portion on Avenue U. So there is only one little small one in Sheepshead Bay.

But any of you can decide how many Chinatowns NYC has.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:56 PM

546 posts, read 763,930 times
dont call it Town soon, it will then be a Borough then a China State (lol)

Old 12-19-2016, 10:52 PM

991 posts, read 1,769,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I live in Staten Island, and I know that there are a lot of Asians (not necessarily Chinese: I see some Indian and South Asian people there as well) in areas near the Staten Island Expressway. However, it is nowhere near enough to be considered a Chinatown.

This map by the NY Times showing the results of the last census seems to be pretty accurate: Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com. Around Bradley Avenue, there is the largest concentration of Asians (24%).

There are some sections of Coney Island, Brighton Beach, and City Line with a decent number of Asians, but I'm not sure if they are actually Chinese.
I think the folks on Staten Island tend to head to the NJ for their Chinese shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City