Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2011, 10:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,676 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am planning to move to NYC from Ca either at the end of this year or the beginning of next year. It depends on how much money I can get saved and what semester school I will be able to attend.

I am 31, a single female looking for some advice on my transition. I have been to NY 5 times and although I am familiar with much of the city, there is still much I know nothing about!

Ok so my questions are:

1- does anyone know what areas are more pet-friendly than others- specifically for larger breeds that often are so discriminated against. I have 2 dogs that will be coming with me. One is 50 lbs. and the other is a saint Bernard (around 100 or 110 lbs). I know the knee jerk reaction from most people and landlords may be to say the dogs are way to big for a small apartment, however, my st. Bernard is a senior. He is almost ten years old and very easy-going, calm and just an old man who sleeps all day while I am at work. My other dog, same thing. She is not old, but she is also calm, laid back and not hyper at all. I currently live in a house with a little yard and they could honestly care less about the backyard. I take them out 2-3 times a day on walks in addition to any backyard time and they are most happy to be in the house with me. They are also used to staying inside all day while I work. This is how their life has been their entire lives. I am a responsible dog owner and so I really hope to not hear anything about how dogs shouldn't be in a house or apartment all day. This is what works for us. There is also no possibility of not taking my dogs with me. If anyone knows of places that are open to large dogs, I would to hear about it or any experiences you may have had. I want to live in the city but I know that may not be possible right away until I have a stable job. So if I have to go outside of the city, I am open to that at first.

2- as fas as locations, I also want to know if anyone thinks it would be possible to live in manhattan with a monthly budget for rent of up to 1500? It would have to be dog friendly of course!

3- I do not know yet where I will be working but I plan to arrive with at least 10-15k to be able to live off of if I don't secure a job right away. However, I do plan to be networking as much as possible in the next few months and I also plan to make another trip about a month before I feel I am ready to move to look for a job, go on interviews if I have any and check out Areas to live etc.

4- does anyone know the process for getting an apartment (with the big dogs) before I have a job? If I have money saved up and offer to pay ahead of time for 6 months or so would that make a difference? Also, if that is not an option for me, does anyone know if a sublet before I have a job would allow large dogs? I know this is probably a case by case basis but I am just curious if anyone has ever done it.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has advice for me. I am trying to do as much as possible ahead of time as I am a planner and I would never try to just move somewhere without having at least a place to live set up that will take my dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 06:57 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
You are not being realistic.

1) Paying up front is simply NOT a substitue for a paying job. Most LLs will see it that way.

2) The dogs excerbate the situation. Most NYC LLs will view dogs of that size as breathing damage makers. You can espouse all you want about how gentle they are, it won't matter!

Here's a heads up, your tenant neighbors, below, next, and above your apartment, will likely not appreciate the dogs either. Noise is a great issue in NYC. Large dogs clomping across the floor, which is the ceiling of your below neighborhood won't be appeciated. Nor the quite booming bark of a St Bernard. LLs will see your dogs as a potential nuisense to the other tenants disrupting the building.

Additionally, you need to STRONGLY consider how your California raised dogs will acclimate to NYC apartment living.

They will be surrounded by people and actvity throughtout the day which they are not used to. Consequently, you cannot view their behavior in their present environment as a given in a NYC environment.

I would imagine the beast w/b awakened in Mr. Sleeps All Day.

3) $1500 with the above deficiencies, forget about it! That rent in Manhattan would afford you a small studio of VERY low quality. 400-500 square feet at best. The dogs will not be allowed nor would it be reasonable.

Even in the outer boroughs 1500 is barely adequate, and the dogs are a no go.

Most places which do allow dogs have a size limit. Yours far exceed the limit in virtually all such places.

The best chance you would have with the dogs w/b to search out a house to rent in the near suburbs, which, generally, will require you to keep a car.

So, all in all, you need to rethink!

Old 05-27-2011, 08:56 PM

483 posts, read 853,970 times
Hi!

The upper west side is very dog friendly. I've seen everything from pit bulls to rottweilers to 2 large beautiful white german shepherds, etc when I lived there. However, you will be very hard pressed to find housing with the size of your dogs. If you look hard enough you will find somewhere but it probably won't be easy. Some parts in Harlem (both East and West) are dog friendly too.

Of course none of the above will matter if you don't have a job. I wouldn't even start thinking of apartment hunting without a job. Apartment hunting can be very competitive in this city and the right candidates - the ones with a job that satisfies the rent and have good credit will win.

If you want to live in Manhattan, you will need to raise your budget to find housing that is big enough for you, your partner and your 2 dogs.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:06 PM

177 posts, read 416,159 times
Being totally honest and not meant to solely be discouraging, with the situations you'd be in it does not seem doable at all to me.
Look on the bright side, you have 2 very sweet dogs!
You can always use the money you save up to visit New York again soon.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:48 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,358,060 times
I don't agree with people who have large animals in a NYC flat. to me that is mean that is just my epinion , 2 big dogs like that in a apartment. I think you should consider renting a home with a yard so they can have more space to move around
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: