Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 08:25 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Staten Island ferry from 6 am to 7 pm on Saturdays runs every half hour. then hourly leaving SI on the hour and Manhattan on the half hour. The trip takes approximately 20 minutes and it is FREE. There are new terminals (almost completed) on both ends and both have police with dogs sniffing luggage/packages and passengers. Once in a while, I've been stopped to let the dog have a special sniff of my packages, but generally not. (I'm 62 so I think it's just for practice or to even out their stopping others.) Vehicles are no longer permitted on any ferry (since 9/11). This is the most current schedule - it opens to the weekday schedule, click on Saturday on the left hand side. Staten Island Ferry Schedules

There is NO transfer between bus and subway without a metro card. This is incorrect info:
"Transfers are only permitted between the bus and subway."

If anyone in the party is over 65 or disabled, the bus fare is 1/2 by showing a Medicare card at the time of boarding.
His intention was to transfer between subways to get around (while exiting the system), and I was explaining that that is impossible.

If he has 7-9 people, then buying a MetroCard is a no-brainer. If he did do so (he already said he's probably going to just drive), he would have to keep in mind that, for some reason, only 4 people are allowed to ride on one MetroCard (so he would have to buy 3 seperate MetroCards)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 01:29 PM

10 posts, read 14,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Since you will be near Rockefeller Center at some point during the 9-3 time period, I would recommend Bill's Bar & Burger for lunch. It's reasonable, and has quite a variety of burgers, including a great veggie.

Bills Bar & Burger Restaurant New York | Burger Restaurants in Meatpacking District & Rockerfeller Center
I'm pretty sure everyone is going to want some good ole NY Pizza; nothing fancy, just a good cheap pizza place in that area(Between Times Square and Rock Cntr). Even at the above Bill's(Which looks excellent BTW) it would cost me over $120.00 to feed us all. While that may be nothing for NY, I was trying to not spend that much yet. 1-2 of those big slices per person should suffice.

Any suggestions?

Old 05-30-2011, 02:41 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
His intention was to transfer between subways to get around (while exiting the system), and I was explaining that that is impossible.
I live in NYC and I don't know why that is impossible. With a Metro card, 4 people CAN switch from subway to bus or bus to subway or bus to bus or subway to subway AFAIK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
If he has 7-9 people, then buying a MetroCard is a no-brainer. If he did do so (he already said he's probably going to just drive), he would have to keep in mind that, for some reason, only 4 people are allowed to ride on one MetroCard (so he would have to buy 3 seperate MetroCards)
So he buys 2 metro cards. They are available in every subway station and he can get the minimum. I'm betting that the people he is staying with have weekly or bi-weekly cards so he doesn't have to pay for them also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peakcelln View Post
I'm pretty sure everyone is going to want some good ole NY Pizza; nothing fancy, just a good cheap pizza place in that area(Between Times Square and Rock Cntr). Even at the above Bill's(Which looks excellent BTW) it would cost me over $120.00 to feed us all. While that may be nothing for NY, I was trying to not spend that much yet. 1-2 of those big slices per person should suffice.

Any suggestions?
Bring along a picnic lunch - when you get down by the ferry, there's Battery Park you can have your picnic.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:22 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I live in NYC and I don't know why that is impossible. With a Metro card, 4 people CAN switch from subway to bus or bus to subway or bus to bus or subway to subway AFAIK.
Sure, you can switch from one train line to another provided you don't exit the system. But it sounded to me, and to the other poster, like he thought that a transfer means you can take the subway someplace, get out, enjoy yourself, and then re-enter the subway system to get another ride as long as you don't stay above ground for more than 2 hours.

Of course this is not what "free transfer" means.

If you want to ride the subway twice, you pay twice. If you want to take a subway and then take a bus, yes, you have a free transfer between subway and bus. I am not sure how long you are allowed for your free transfer.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:33 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,812,434 times
You can also transfer between connecting buses. For example, from an uptown/downtown bus to a crosstown bus.

Also, I do believe there is a time limit between uses of metrocards. The intention being to prevent multiple people making use of a single card. The exception being 'cash' cards.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:55 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,812,434 times
If your group likes homestyle Itailian, then Carmines is an excellent place for groups!!!

The portions are simply enormous and intended for group eating. Call and ask how many will a single portion feed. Two or three different items should feed your entire group. Its a fun place and they will be well stuffed!

I believe it is well within your budget.

Carmine's | NYC's Legendary Family Style Italian Restaurant | Menus

You probably need to reserve a table for a large group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City