Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 6,049 times

Advertisements

Hello All, my daughter currently attends PS 81. She is in the second grade and has attended since kindergarten. I moved to Riverdale specifically for her to attend the public school here. The school is very diverse, all races and nationalities attend and all of them get along well. Nothing beyond the occasional bully or school disagreements. What makes this school work is the parent involvement in administration. There are lots of parents and local volunteers that work hard to make this school one of the best in the district. Many of the teachers have worked in the school for more than 10 years and enjoy teaching in the school. My daughter has had no negative experiences.

I am very happy with PS 81 and the education she is getting there. I do not plan to send her to the middle school/high school in the area, I would like her to go to catholic school or a better NYC public school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 01:40 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
Olivia,

If you wanted to keep your kid in public school, as a resident of Riverdale, is there anywhere locally that you can send her? Obviously I mean beyond Bronx Science and the High School of American Studies.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:24 AM

1 posts, read 5,970 times
Default P.s. 81 review by a parent who's child goes there

My daughter just graduatd from P.S. 81, having come from a private school all the rest of her life. I find both the faculty & teachers alike, hands on & positive people for my child.
No gangs, great racial balance & great PTA that also has great racial & gender balance.
It does go up to the 5th grade & there are accelerated classes that automatically are given testing for the honors classes @ M.S. 141.
It has been a 100% positive experience for both my daughter & myself, this is coming from someone who prefers a private school education.
Good luck, you won't be disappointed in the school.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 5,745 times
what bus or train is near P.S. 81, I live in Pelhan Parkway

Old 05-11-2009, 10:18 PM

1 posts, read 5,398 times
hello my daughter is in Kindergarten at PS 81 and I was wondering if they graduate this year

Old 11-04-2010, 09:30 PM

1 posts, read 4,189 times
Default help please..

have a child in catholic school... only money hungry ...i m in 10463 area would ps 24 provide a school bus.. i know the children down the block are transported.... i heard its a great school..please add ..thanks...no color nor creed just a fair education for my son.....the only color kids see the color thier drawing with........

Old 04-25-2013, 02:45 PM

2 posts, read 5,614 times
St. Margaret's is a HORRIBLE school. All surface with no depth. They are all about appearances. And most are white trash! Stay away!

Old 04-25-2013, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,818 times
I have to say I agree that preferably you should send your children to PS 81. it is a wonderful public school with teachers that have actual credentials, and the community at that school is friendly, welcoming and safe for your child's personal growth. I also have to agree with those that said disparaging things about St. Margaret's School. Sadly that school is filled with cliques where the parents run the actual school and where teachers who are employed there don't meet the same qualifications of excellence as those of PS 81. Yes, stay away from St. Margaret's School.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:40 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,687,984 times
From my experience living in Riverdale ps 81 is a avg NYC public school. A lot of the Irish Catholic in North Riverdale and Orthodox Jewish families go to private schools. To the poster who's daughter had a hard time that's a shame. Did you seek out the pastor at church? He's a really nice guy and a no nonsense guy. Have to say it's one of the better Catholic grade schools around. High amount of kids attending Xavier, Fordham Prep, Iona Prep, maria Regina, and Victory. I remember reading the riverdale press with the leading exodus of white families was the school problems. You will never get a pandering elected official to admit that bussing has failed NYC and it's taxpayers. PS, Catholic schools aren't meant to teach kids who afraid of safety issues or want a certain racial balance. It's a Catholic school to learn religion and the teaching of Catholicism. That's why I don't care if they close them up in areas where they are not supported. If your a white black brown yellow person and is happy in public school, God Bless.

Last edited by Norwood Boy; 04-25-2013 at 04:48 PM..

Old 04-25-2013, 08:58 PM

2 posts, read 5,614 times
"If your a white black brown yellow person and is happy in public school, God Bless."

Maybe if you had gone to a public school, Norwood Boy, you'd be aware that the proper usage for 'your' in the above sentence is, "you're." And lets not forget our commas. God Bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City