Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 09:05 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,326,603 times

Advertisements

You can travel with bagels, but what you would need to do is wrap each one in parchment or waxed paper (since I would not use foil when traveling as it might look suspicious on a screening machine) and then place them in a sealed plastic bag. The paper bag from the bakery will not keep them for an extremely long time, but sealing them would. Then, when you return home, you can freeze the bagels, and reheat as you wish to eat them. I will regularly bring bagels to DC, for example, and they keep for a few weeks in the freezer; however, it would be best to purchase said bagels for your return home on the day of departure.

Alternatively, Kossar's and H&H will ship via FedEx to your home, though the delivery charges will tend to be more expensive than the bagels.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 12:00 AM

33 posts, read 109,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
You can travel with bagels, but what you would need to do is wrap each one in parchment or waxed paper (since I would not use foil when traveling as it might look suspicious on a screening machine) and then place them in a sealed plastic bag. The paper bag from the bakery will not keep them for an extremely long time, but sealing them would. Then, when you return home, you can freeze the bagels, and reheat as you wish to eat them. I will regularly bring bagels to DC, for example, and they keep for a few weeks in the freezer; however, it would be best to purchase said bagels for your return home on the day of departure.

Alternatively, Kossar's and H&H will ship via FedEx to your home, though the delivery charges will tend to be more expensive than the bagels.
I think have wax paper lying around here somewhere...I'm pretty sure a NY bagel will be near the top of my list, so it'll definitely come in handy. Thanks for the tip!

Old 06-23-2011, 03:38 PM

11,597 posts, read 12,633,715 times
This just says it all!

YouTube - ‪brooklynology's Channel‬‏

Old 06-23-2011, 09:37 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,716,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monetlily View Post
Babka, bialys, pignoli cookies - I've never heard of these before, but I guess I've gotta check them out now! I guess I'll have to pass on the bagels since they won't keep fresh in my fridge plus the hours they'll be in my luggage. Oh well...thanks everyone!
Behold the delightful pignoli cookie from Venieros!

Crisp outside, soft and marzipan-like inside, sinful toasted pignoli nuts on top... Pure evil. Worth every penny. My mom got me hooked on these, a tougher habit to kick than heroin.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:19 PM

82 posts, read 175,322 times
Zaros New York bakery or Valencia bakery.
When I tried a cake from Zaros it was like sex in my mouth.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:18 AM

I'm drooling right now...Somebody get me a bagel and pignoli cookie, quick!

Old 06-24-2011, 09:55 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,716,285 times
Yes, you must go to Venieros... The power of Italian pastry compels you!

Here's a decent vid of their pastry/cookie counter. When you enter you have to take a number and wait until it is called to be served. There will probably be a line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYuHZeUzej4

I'm not a fan of their cheesecakes, though their Italian cheesecake is better than the NY cheesecake IMHO. And Sfolgliatelle to DIE for, those are portable too, but be warned: a humid day can take the crispiness out of those beauties.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:11 PM

I can't believe I had never heard of Venieros because they have a ton of reviews on Yelp. Thanks!

Old 06-26-2011, 07:54 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,243,123 times
I love Venieros, but I recently went to Rocco's for the first time and had the best cannoli of my life. I know this thread is about food that can travel - but if you are in town, you have to go there for yourself. They fill the cannolis to order so the shell is always crisp. I had avoid the place for years because it looks like a tourist trap and now I can just kick myself for all the times I walked by and missed out.
Pasticceria Rocco - West Village - New York, NY

According to an article I can't find now, Rocco's also get's Mario Batali's vote for most authentic cannoli in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City