Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 09:45 PM

446 posts, read 996,814 times

Advertisements

I just moved here from California two months ago so bear with me.

I've noticed something odd with the water here, or maybe it's just the pipes at home/work. Cold water trickles out and is very scarce, and hot water is always plentiful and.... hot! Dangerously hot! It is impossible for me to manipulate the hot and cold so that the water is lukewarm- if the hot water is turned on even slightly, I get scalded to death. I'm surprised it's even legal to have water running that hot. Basically my options are freezing cold water, or burn myself.
Is it just a freak occurrence with the places I frequent? Or is this common?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 09:50 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,441,846 times
ask your building super to check the setting on the water heater

Old 05-30-2011, 05:35 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
It is impossible for me to manipulate the hot and cold so that the water is lukewarm- if the hot water is turned on even slightly, I get scalded to death.
Have your faucet replaced.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:28 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
In answer to your question, yeah your experiences are quite common to non-luxury life in NYC.

Older buildings with old 'lead' pipes, over the years, these pipes develop a buildup in the interior of the pipes which which narrows the pipe diameter. Often this narrowing is significant and continues to develop and grow worse. Consequently, the water flow is significantly reduced.

You find this in older unrenovated buildings. The only solution is to ripe out the old piping and to replace it. This will occur only with a gut renovation. Few work place buildings suffer this issue, though some older unrenovated buildings do still exist in some parts of Manhattan, which until recently were in low demand and didn't warrant the investment by the owners.

In the outer boroughs, in the older industrialized areas that are being utilized for modern work and living space, yet have not been fully renovated, you may have the same piping issues.

As with all things in NYC, the bottom end of the money scale always gets the crap. In new and/or higher end buildings you won't have this issue.

Heat/Hot Water is a different problem, but again, its a low end issue. In most tenanment and low scale buildings LLs chose to blast the heat and ensure that the hot water excedes the legal minimum temp. They do this to avoid tenant complaits to city agencies resulting in fines and interference with the running of their buildings.

The City is quick to respond to inacequate heat and hot water complaints. The consequence of this is roasting apts with open windows during Winter and overly hot water all during the year.

Also, some of the heat and hot water systems are so old, that there is basically two adjustment levels---On and Off!

Note, hot water is required to be maintained at a temp which, generally, kills germs. I don't recall the actual temp, but its pretty hot.

So that's NYC life on the low end. It ain't no middle class paradise.

The best way to deal, is achieve a lifestlye in which you control your own heat and hot water, but of course that costs!

P.S., I didn't mention anything about the LEAD levels in the water, cause I didn't want to scare you.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:37 AM

916 posts, read 2,245,914 times
Just turn on cold water to max, and then change the
setting of the cold water valve under the sink by turning
them to the right or left until you think they are no longer
scarce. Hot water valve=red color, Cold water valve = Blue color.

If the whole apartment's cold water supply have the same
problem, and you don't have access to the main valve, then
you have to talk to the supper about your problem.

As for water being too hot, if you have access to the water
heater, you can change the thermostat setting there to your
desired temperature. I usually set the thermostat lower during
the summer, and higher for the winter.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:39 AM

446 posts, read 996,814 times
Thanks for the responses, everyone. Yea, I guess I get what I pay for I'll suck it up and deal with it for now. I guess it's a good thing I bought a Brita pitcher? The water in LA tastes terrible, not so much here, but I'm so used to having one. My roommate who's been here for years looked at me like I was crazy!

Old 05-30-2011, 05:05 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Jaydata's suggestion is a good one!

Yeah, check the valves under the sinks. For some reason, the cold water valve may have been turned down.

Luck!

Old 05-31-2011, 10:33 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
In answer to your question, yeah your experiences are quite common to non-luxury life in NYC.

Older buildings with old 'lead' pipes, over the years, these pipes develop a buildup in the interior of the pipes which which narrows the pipe diameter. Often this narrowing is significant and continues to develop and grow worse. Consequently, the water flow is significantly reduced.

You find this in older unrenovated buildings. The only solution is to ripe out the old piping and to replace it. This will occur only with a gut renovation. Few work place buildings suffer this issue, though some older unrenovated buildings do still exist in some parts of Manhattan, which until recently were in low demand and didn't warrant the investment by the owners.

In the outer boroughs, in the older industrialized areas that are being utilized for modern work and living space, yet have not been fully renovated, you may have the same piping issues.

As with all things in NYC, the bottom end of the money scale always gets the crap. In new and/or higher end buildings you won't have this issue.

Heat/Hot Water is a different problem, but again, its a low end issue. In most tenanment and low scale buildings LLs chose to blast the heat and ensure that the hot water excedes the legal minimum temp. They do this to avoid tenant complaits to city agencies resulting in fines and interference with the running of their buildings.

The City is quick to respond to inacequate heat and hot water complaints. The consequence of this is roasting apts with open windows during Winter and overly hot water all during the year.

Also, some of the heat and hot water systems are so old, that there is basically two adjustment levels---On and Off!

Note, hot water is required to be maintained at a temp which, generally, kills germs. I don't recall the actual temp, but its pretty hot.

So that's NYC life on the low end. It ain't no middle class paradise.

The best way to deal, is achieve a lifestlye in which you control your own heat and hot water, but of course that costs!

P.S., I didn't mention anything about the LEAD levels in the water, cause I didn't want to scare you.

exactly, I had the same problem. Till the lady dies on the 2nd floor and they gutted the kitchen, thus replacing the pipes. The Ll showed me the cold water pipe and it was lined with gunk, thus making the pipe smaller inside and no water pressure. Now the pipes were replaced and we have equal hot and cold water pressure. This is likley the same problem.

Old 05-28-2019, 07:08 PM

6 posts, read 12,251 times
I live in a prewar co-op building built in 1927. It takes about 5-10 minutes for the cold water in my kitchen to get truly cold. I've told the super about it and he thinks it's a problem in my apartment line somewhere. A few other people in my apartment line have this problem including another board member. They've had plumbers look in all the apartments in my line but they said they couldn't find any issues so they believe the problem was in my faucet but it's not because they gave me a new faucet but the problem is still there. Other people in different apartment lines also say they have this problem and various other problems such as low water pressure and not being able to rely on having hot water for showers.

I know that NYC buildings are supposed to provide hot water but what about cold water? How cold should the cold water be?

Old 05-29-2019, 06:45 AM

4,194 posts, read 4,077,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycgirl646 View Post
I know that NYC buildings are supposed to provide hot water but what about cold water? How cold should the cold water be?
Room temperature? Unless you have a water cooler, tap water is not cooled down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City