Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 05:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,622 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to NYC this summer for work on the UWS and trying to figure out where to live. I can afford $1500 a month on rent, but I'm not sure it's worth it if I can get a very nice place in Astoria for $900 (with roommates, but that's the situation I'm looking for anyway). I don't know -- it just seems like it's an exorbitant amount to pay on rent alone when I could be saving the money or getting that coffee and scone on the way to work instead.

What do you New Yorkers think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 06:58 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,811,642 times
Well, first you need to realize that in Manhattan, $1500 isn't going to get you a nice place, unless you roommate.

Yes, in Astoria, you get a nice place, with roommates, for less.

In Astoria, a 'nice' two bed room runs 2-3000. In Manhattan, 3-4000.

Of course, in Astoria, there are less nice 1 bedrooms for your budget. As well as fairly nice studios.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:14 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Everyone has their own idea of worth.....I rather live in Astoria in a one bedroom, alone....roomates are always horror stories, Manhattan is very expensive, especially when you are young, better to live somewhere cheap, travel it by train and have more money for "you" to do whatever "you" enjoy, rather than spend all your money on rent just to live in Manhattan, especially when we have trains that take you there in just a few minutes.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:38 PM

145 posts, read 412,292 times
It's not worth it IMO. I live in Brooklyn and can get to most places in Manhattan faster than some friends who live in Manhattan itself. It's cheaper out of Manhattan and just as convenient and safe (depending on the area of course..)

Old 05-30-2011, 06:38 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,590,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lityciver View Post
I'm moving to NYC this summer for work on the UWS and trying to figure out where to live. I can afford $1500 a month on rent, but I'm not sure it's worth it if I can get a very nice place in Astoria for $900 (with roommates, but that's the situation I'm looking for anyway). I don't know -- it just seems like it's an exorbitant amount to pay on rent alone when I could be saving the money or getting that coffee and scone on the way to work instead.

What do you New Yorkers think?
You're thinking along the right lines in my opinion. Less money being pissed away on rent is more money in your pocket to go enjoy yourself. I never paid more than $850/mo for my apt share when I lived in Williamsburg and you know what? A $1500 UES shoebox wouldn't have made my life that much better, if at all. Just a lot more expensive. Besides, I liked most of my roommates and usually enjoyed the social texture they added. Living by myself just seemed like it would have been expensive and boring...I'd been there and done that anyway prior to living in NY so it's not as if I didn't have ample frame of reference, but to each their own.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:56 PM

177 posts, read 416,293 times
I agree! Why let that money go out the window?! No doubt you need it for yourself and your own life. I hope you pick Astoria, it's a nice neighborhood and is also New York City, only thousands of dollars a year cheaper.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:20 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,590,031 times
I would agree Astoria would work. It's a relative low intensity and picturesque corner of the city. There's not too much to startle or overwhelm an NY noob while still being somewhat interesting and happening. You can always graduate to a faster or more intense neighborhood later after you've become accustomed to the city.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:28 PM

58 posts, read 117,649 times
Yeah, Astoria is pretty nice. In most places anyway. The night life is also decent enough that you won't get bored easily

And it won't be noisy at night all time like in Manhattan. Best part is it's 15-20 min away from Manhattan.

I think it's a no brainer with your budget. If it was twice as much then maybe I would suggest the city. Otherwise it's not worth it

Old 05-31-2011, 07:18 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessielou View Post
It's not worth it IMO. I live in Brooklyn and can get to most places in Manhattan faster than some friends who live in Manhattan itself. It's cheaper out of Manhattan and just as convenient and safe (depending on the area of course..)

same here, I can get to the city in 20 minutes I have a huge apartment and pay a little for it as well....

to me, Manhattan is definetely not worth it, if you are middle class.....now if money is no object, then yes.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:01 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,262,648 times
Any native Nyer will tell you not to waste your money in MH, and any NYer that has lived here long enough to have finally ventured outside the island of MH will also tell you the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City