Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 02:12 PM

3 posts, read 8,838 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I maybe relocating to New York from California for a new job and was trying to find an affordable place to live that has convenient transportation options (like everyone!). I could afford up to $1,500/mo if necessary, but would prefer to keep it closer to 900-1200/mo.

After doing some research, it looks like Queens - specifically Jackson Heights would be the best option for me, because it's definitely in my price range and my job would require a lot of travel (and La Guardia is right there) and I could catch the 7 express from Junction to grand central since the office is near there (park and 34th). I don't mind walking a little but I would like to keep the commute to work under 45 minutes (including walking time).

So Jackson Heights seems like the best option, but are there other places someone might recommend that is close to an air port and quick access to grand central or near park ave and 34th? Also, is it going to be difficult to find an apartment within walking distance (10 minutes or so) from the Junction stop on the 7 train since it's the only express stop in JH??

Thanks in advance for any input!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 02:43 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Don't limit yourself to the Junction Ave area. It's not as nice as much of the historic district of Jackson Heights (closer to the 82nd St. and 74th St. stops on the 7). If you really must ride an express, you could get on a local at 74th or 82nd and transfer to an express at 61st St. I don't really think the express trains save much time-- maybe 5 minutes? You can check by examining a pdf schedule of the 7 train on the mta.info site.

I will send you a PM as well with a bit of other info.

Last edited by Henna; 05-30-2011 at 03:00 PM..

Old 05-31-2011, 10:41 AM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Don't limit yourself to the Junction Ave area. It's not as nice as much of the historic district of Jackson Heights (closer to the 82nd St. and 74th St. stops on the 7). If you really must ride an express, you could get on a local at 74th or 82nd and transfer to an express at 61st St. I don't really think the express trains save much time-- maybe 5 minutes? You can check by examining a pdf schedule of the 7 train on the mta.info site.

I will send you a PM as well with a bit of other info.
Shame shame! Junction BOULEVARD.
And to the OP, Henna is the Jackson Heights expert on the NYC forum. She knows all and will be very helpful with your questions, I'm sure.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-31-2011, 12:01 PM

684 posts, read 1,121,680 times
Jackson Heights has loads of Pakistanis. Good food there.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:42 PM

140 posts, read 268,952 times
Jackson Heights can be a great neighborhood as long as you embrace its ethnic diversity. It has to be one of the most diverse neighborhoods in NYC, which is saying a lot.

Roosevelt Avenue can be seedy; but as long as you follow common sense you should be Ok.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:00 PM

Thanks for the clarification, 7! haha.

And thanks for the input - it definitely seems like everyone is affirming this is the right place for me. Now it's just a matter of finding a place!

Thanks again everyone!

Old 05-31-2011, 07:40 PM

988 posts, read 3,253,984 times
Try Astoria as well, you can take the M60 bus to LaGuardia from there and it's a little closer to the city(Manhattan).

Jackson Heights has tons of good restaurants but I can't really speak about the housing stock there.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
Try Astoria as well, you can take the M60 bus to LaGuardia from there and it's a little closer to the city(Manhattan).

Jackson Heights has tons of good restaurants but I can't really speak about the housing stock there.
Astoria is a good suggestion as well. I have never taken the M60 from there so I'm not sure how long it takes. Astoria will probably have more rental apartments to choose from than Jackson Heights. I think rents are higher in Astoria, though.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:48 PM

Thanks again for all the input. As my moving date gets closer, I'm still looking for places. I was hoping I could get a little more feedback.

My job will be requiring a lot of travel (about 80%) for that reason, I wanted to live closer LaGuardia and find a place where rent was a little cheaper (since I'll hardly be there during the week) but still have relatively easy access to manhattan, as my office is only a few blocks from grand central station, on park ave).

Based on the feedback, I got Jackson Heights seems like a good fit - but the places available are a little higher priced than I had hoped. I'd like the keep rent + utilities at a MAXIMUM of 1500, and ideally around 1200.

However, I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking any other potential neighborhoods or resources to help look for a place. So far, Astonia has been higher priced than I want right now and I don't really know any other neighbor hoods. How about Sunnyside? Or any suggestions on websites/resources to find a more comprehensive list of places available? I've tried hotpad and craigslist mainly.

Thank you again for all your help!

Old 06-16-2011, 11:50 PM

Parts of East Elmhurst are very nice as well. (Note: in this case I am talking about EAST Elmhurst, not Elmhurst; these are two different neighborhoods that don't border one another.) It should be cheaper than Jackson Heights partly because it is further from the trains.

I like areas around 30th and 31st Aves in the low 80s streets and high 70s. It's mostly houses there so perhaps you could find a small basement apartment for around $900. The train is still not that far away at 82nd and Roosevelt and 74th and Roosevelt and there are buses that run up and down to get you to the train when you need to. Plus you are even closer to Laguardia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City