Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 02:55 AM

963 posts, read 2,301,920 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that the popularity of $1 pizza shops popping up around NYC has forced many long-standing quality pizza shops to match their prices. The quality of pizza also seems to have declined in the process. The 1.00 slices are not up to the high standard we come to expect from good NYC pizza. A bargain slice of pizza is a good thing, but I hope pizza quality is not permanently sacrificed to meet these prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 04:08 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,590,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design7 View Post
I've noticed that the popularity of $1 pizza shops popping up around NYC has forced many long-standing quality pizza shops to match their prices. The quality of pizza also seems to have declined in the process.
Not where I live. I like the $1 plain slice. But the rules (where I go) are: It must be plain and you have to order it in person (no delivery).

But if I ask for mushrooms, which is something I like, (a) I hate the way it's made, and (b) the $1 special price goes away.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:30 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,009 times
The iron law of economics is that cheap produxts chase out quality products. Anglo masses are not exactly known for their taste; there are people out there that think Dominos is great pizza.
There is a chain out west called Round Table that tastes like prego on a saltine cracker. The point being in the chase for the cheapest product the public often loses their ability to discrimate what has value and what is just worthless schlock. The worthless schlock often drives the quality product out of the market.

When you are talking cuisine taste in an Anglo country often something salty no matter how tasteless often passes as edible food. Just make it salty and pair it with some sweet drink and boom it will sell. The cost is that a quality product -like NY pizza - is driven out of the market.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:41 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,469,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design7 View Post
I've noticed that the popularity of $1 pizza shops popping up around NYC has forced many long-standing quality pizza shops to match their prices. The quality of pizza also seems to have declined in the process. The 1.00 slices are not up to the high standard we come to expect from good NYC pizza. A bargain slice of pizza is a good thing, but I hope pizza quality is not permanently sacrificed to meet these prices.
I went to one of the $1 pizza places on 34th (bet 2nd/3rd) and the pizza reminded me of that frozen Ellios pizza. It wasn't very good at all. On the other hand, I went to a $1 pizza place on 2nd Ave/23rd St and the pizza was great.

I hope the quality doesn't decline over time, either, but it probably will. When that time comes, I'll just stick with regular priced pizza!

Old 06-01-2011, 06:10 AM

979 posts, read 4,456,568 times
The presumption that more is spent on ingredients for a 2 dollar plain slice verses a 1 dollar slice is absurd. Both are next to zero. It's your snobbishness that has convinced you that the dollar slice tastes worst.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:39 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
The only $1 pizza Ive tried was actually decent. Lot less doughy was the only difference but I didnt mind since I prefer thin sliced pizza.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:42 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
It's a race to the bottom like everything else...it's all about saving money versus creating anything of value or that is made with skill...and I am not talking just about the pizzerias, I am talking about the customers too.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:54 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
The pizza slice price was creeping up a bit too much though, and considering the average mom and pop makes a pretty average slice to begin with I welcome the price adjustment. I think it came about naturally as slice prices crept up and with the state of the economy and all.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:56 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
there are people out there that think Dominos is great pizza.
This is, unfortunately, very true!

Old 06-01-2011, 07:24 AM

147 posts, read 371,296 times
short answer: no. There will always be a demand for good pizza. The quality of Pizzerias that are open at 3am might drop though. However, how expensive is it to make a plain slice? The biggest cost driver in NYC pizza is rent, not ingredients. If they can overcome the rent costs by pushing through volume, I doubt the quality needs to drop. Regardless, the best pizza is going to be in the lower rent areas of the outer boroughs and suburbs with Italian neighborhoods. L&B is still my favorite spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City