Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 04:17 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times

Advertisements

for a 6th floor apartment? is it worth getting renter's insurance for an apartment on the 6th floor? I realize it could be used for an act of God or a fire but in terms of a burglary, wouldn't it be hard for a thief to break in on the 6th floor and lug my computer and flatscreen down 6 flights of stairs? or do same down 6 flights of fire escape? my last apt was also on the 6th floor, and tho we did have a burglar on the fire escape (chased away by a 6th floor resident in his kitchen who spotted him) he never made it in.

i ask because i keep getting ads from my auto insurance co saying more thefts occur in rentals than in non rentals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 04:21 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,443,621 times
yes without a question if something happens it better to have and not need it and need it and not have it..

Old 06-01-2011, 04:22 PM

106,680 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
for a 6th floor apartment? is it worth getting renter's insurance for an apartment on the 6th floor? I realize it could be used for an act of God or a fire but in terms of a burglary, wouldn't it be hard for a thief to break in on the 6th floor and lug my computer and flatscreen down 6 flights of stairs? or do same down 6 flights of fire escape? my last apt was also on the 6th floor, and tho we did have a burglar on the fire escape (chased away by a 6th floor resident in his kitchen who spotted him) he never made it in.

i ask because i keep getting ads from my auto insurance co saying more thefts occur in rentals than in non rentals
many thefts are inside jobs by workers or friends of workers.

a water leak above you can be disasterous.. if it wasnt the fault of the person above you need insurance to get paid for damage to your apartment.

there is danger of fire or smoke damage. we had a 5 alarm fire next door to our building last year.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:07 PM

10 posts, read 24,418 times
ALWAYS get renter's insurance if you have anything of value -- it's not very expensive for decent coverage anyway. About 6 years ago I used to live on the top floor of 4 story walk-up and there was only one other apartment on the same floor. There was a plumber working on something on the roof during the day once and water ended up leaking into the other apartment.

After speaking to my neighbors (2 students) that night, they mentioned that a new macbook and a plasma tv had water damage and they didn't have insurance. The landlord was a jerk also so these kids ended up getting screwed and had no other recourse.

If I recall, I paid $250 for about $25K of replacement coverage for the entire year in the apt.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:10 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
my sister was first married and had brand new everything, the both mothers butted in all their business....

hence 2am, fire in the living room, all got out safe, but all the stuff ruined....

guess what, no insurance.....the both dumb ass mothers were so worried about my sister hanging curtains and decorating, yet none of them though with all this new stuff they should be insured. The LL, fixed the apt, but not the contents of it........

gte it, for peace of mind, you never know !!

Old 06-02-2011, 08:31 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,853 times
I checked the rates with GEICO (who I have my car insurance through) for renter's insurance; I forget what exactly they were, but they weren't very attractive.

I didn't get it because I don't have much of value in my apartment. My entire place could go up in flames and I'd be out about $2,000, not a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeyNYC View Post
There was a plumber working on something on the roof during the day once and water ended up leaking into the other apartment.

After speaking to my neighbors (2 students) that night, they mentioned that a new macbook and a plasma tv had water damage and they didn't have insurance. The landlord was a jerk also so these kids ended up getting screwed and had no other recourse.
Why didn't they simply take the plumber to small claims court? That's the exact type of cases that they hear most often down there.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:11 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
I checked the rates with GEICO (who I have my car insurance through) for renter's insurance; I forget what exactly they were, but they weren't very attractive.

I didn't get it because I don't have much of value in my apartment. My entire place could go up in flames and I'd be out about $2,000, not a big deal.
It's not a big deal as long as you have $2,000 in a savings account to replace your stuff. A lot of New Yorkers- especially young ones and lower income- don't have $2,000 in savings and would be devastated if a fire or water damage ruined their belongings.

Another perk of renter's insurance is that it will cover your hotel expenses for 30 days or so if your place is uninhabitable. That's worth a few thousand more dollars easily.

Fire or water damage is more likely than burglary in most neighborhoods. With so many apartments so close together, a leak / burst pipe or fire can spread quickly.

It cost me about $175-200 per year for about $30k of coverage. Well worth it considering the risk of losing it all.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:47 AM

106,680 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:

Why didn't they simply take the plumber to small claims court? That's the exact type of cases that they hear most often down there.
how about if you do something stupid and cause a fire or water damage in another persons apartment... then what? no insurance ,good luck

Old 06-03-2011, 06:27 AM

Quote:

The insurance for the year is less than 400 dollars. So now if you get a fire, your clothes, personal items and whatever stuff you own will just basically disappaer.

I would think 400 dollars is easy to get.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
It's not a big deal as long as you have $2,000 in a savings account to replace your stuff. A lot of New Yorkers- especially young ones and lower income- don't have $2,000 in savings and would be devastated if a fire or water damage ruined their belongings.

Another perk of renter's insurance is that it will cover your hotel expenses for 30 days or so if your place is uninhabitable. That's worth a few thousand more dollars easily.

Fire or water damage is more likely than burglary in most neighborhoods. With so many apartments so close together, a leak / burst pipe or fire can spread quickly.

It cost me about $175-200 per year for about $30k of coverage. Well worth it considering the risk of losing it all.

and your piece of mind is worth millions.
and your right, fire or water damage will happen more than likely than a burglary.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City