Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2011, 11:15 PM

4 posts, read 8,114 times

Advertisements

Hey Folks,

I've visited New York City about 8 times and feel that I have a pretty good grasp of the City but my wife has never been. I'm looking for a day long tour of Midtown, Lower Manhattan and central park.

Anybody have any suggestions on one day guided tours. The double decker sucks usually and I've heard some horrible things about onboard tours.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a bus tour could be segway, bike, or walking tour. Just as long as it's well informed and varied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 11:46 PM

113 posts, read 290,984 times
You might want to check out Big Apple Greeters. It's a city-run program staffed by volunteers. I believe that all greeters are required to have passed the NYC tour guide exam (yes, there is such a thing), and they will take you, one-on-one or in small groups. One of my best friends used to do this and she is both very knowledgeable and passionate about NYC. If the other volunteers are like her, I'm sure that you'll make out better than on those tour buses.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:06 AM

916 posts, read 2,238,598 times
I heard the best way to tour NYC is just use Google map
street views like everyone else, enjoy the city and have
a nice day.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:39 AM

881 posts, read 2,246,369 times
I've used Context (both in NYC and Rome) for small group tours. They do have the option to do a customized tour since you are wanting something to last all day.

Walking tours for the intellectually curious | Context Travel

While Big Apple Greeter is a great program I am not sure that's exactly what you are looking for. The "tour" is usually 2-4 hours and they show you neighborhood or two, definitely not going to show you all over Manhattan. Of course you could combine it with another tour from a different company if Big Apple Greeter meets your needs. BTW according to their website they are not licensed tour guides, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but just so you are aware.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:54 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,261,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAC05 View Post
Hey Folks,

I've visited New York City about 8 times and feel that I have a pretty good grasp of the City but my wife has never been. I'm looking for a day long tour of Midtown, Lower Manhattan and central park.

Anybody have any suggestions on one day guided tours. The double decker sucks usually and I've heard some horrible things about onboard tours.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a bus tour could be segway, bike, or walking tour. Just as long as it's well informed and varied.
This is far too much for a walking tour. If you really want to see all that you’re better off with a bus. Walking tours are better for neighborhoods, especially if you’re interested in architecture, history and shopping. I had a friend who took a walking tour of the West Village and loved it. Her guide discussed the history of the neighborhood, why the streets are laid out the way they are, various architectural styles and construction methods (brownstone vs. tenement vs. brick apartment building) etc., and then took them to sample different food items (an old-school Italian bakery, Jewish deli, and then ended at a hip wine bar). The whole thing took 4 hours and they never left the neighborhood.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:11 PM

4 posts, read 8,114 times
Anybody ever heard of Marvelous Manhattan Tours? Home: *Marvelous Manhattan Tours ? New York City Bus Tours | Guided Sightseeing Tour of NYC, NY Looks Legit and pretty much what I'm looking for. Just curious on what their reputation is around the city.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,220 times
Thank you for mentioning our services. Big Apple Greeters are all volunteers. What we offer guests to NYC are visits to neighborhoods that they may not have heard of, through the eyes of a New Yorker. Most greets are 2 - 4 hours which provides a good amount of time to learn about a neighborhood & its culture, but not enough to see the city end to end. There is no charge for our services but we do hope visitors will make a donation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City