Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 04:50 PM

647 posts, read 1,515,037 times

Advertisements

I just moved here with a Film/TV degree from Austin and I'm really surprised at how much bad luck I've been having. I've applied for at least 500 jobs related to the field so far and have only gotten one response from NYFA which I didn't get. I know L.A. has more jobs in the field but I like NYC more and thought I'd have more luck here. It's only been a month so maybe I need to give it time and stop stressing out. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 05:04 PM

6,453 posts, read 6,977,435 times
Sounds like it's another "it's not what you know, but who you know" field.

Perhaps join some organizations or a freelancers union? I think you have to build connections to really get in there.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:16 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,183,435 times
1) Move to north brooklyn

2) Assess your pants size; buy a few pairs at least a size smaller

3) ??????????

4) Profit!!

Old 06-02-2011, 05:37 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,775,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
I just moved here with a Film/TV degree from Austin and I'm really surprised at how much bad luck I've been having. I've applied for at least 500 jobs related to the field so far and have only gotten one response from NYFA which I didn't get. I know L.A. has more jobs in the field but I like NYC more and thought I'd have more luck here. It's only been a month so maybe I need to give it time and stop stressing out. Any advice?
Simon, you've been here a month, applied for 500 jobs with one response! I have to ask, where are you living and how are you doing it? Do you have enough saved to hold you over?

Old 06-02-2011, 06:18 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,257,182 times
I'd try getting a job at a thrift store or coffee house, but if your degree isn't elite enough you may have the same luck as trying to find a real job. Folks like you are a dime a dozen in NYC, kid. Good luck.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:47 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,235,986 times
Hey, I worked in the industry for a long time before getting out to do my own thing, but here are my tips:

1. You have to get an internship
Yes, it sucks. You will work crazy long hours for no pay. But if you work hard, you will get recommended for jobs.

2. Focus on your area.
Do you want to do production, development, etc.? Get to know all of the players in NYC. Read indieWire, join IFP, get the weekly production report from the Mayor's Office of TV & Film

3. Work your butt off.
No one cares about your degree. When I was hiring apprentices, resumes from NYU, Columbia, etc would go immediately into the trash. Most of the graduates would walk around with an attitude like they should be directing the film we were working on. Fetch the coffee with a smile. Be the first one to arrive and the last one to leave.

Getting your foot in the door is insanely difficult, but most people don't last because they are in it for the glamour. The industry is not glamourous - it is difficult. But if you have the bug and you love it, you will rise.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:13 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,098,013 times
I'm not surprised at all. It sounds like you moved with unrealistic expectations if you thought you'd land a film job in 30 days with no NYC connections.

Most people start with an unpaid or underpaid internship. Start there.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:27 AM

647 posts, read 1,515,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
Hey, I worked in the industry for a long time before getting out to do my own thing, but here are my tips:

1. You have to get an internship
Yes, it sucks. You will work crazy long hours for no pay. But if you work hard, you will get recommended for jobs.

2. Focus on your area.
Do you want to do production, development, etc.? Get to know all of the players in NYC. Read indieWire, join IFP, get the weekly production report from the Mayor's Office of TV & Film

3. Work your butt off.
No one cares about your degree. When I was hiring apprentices, resumes from NYU, Columbia, etc would go immediately into the trash. Most of the graduates would walk around with an attitude like they should be directing the film we were working on. Fetch the coffee with a smile. Be the first one to arrive and the last one to leave.

Getting your foot in the door is insanely difficult, but most people don't last because they are in it for the glamour. The industry is not glamourous - it is difficult. But if you have the bug and you love it, you will rise.
Thanks for the advice and TurtleCreek, I didn't expect to land an amazing job, just some PA gig or some low end job I thought would be easier to get. So where's a good place to find an unpaid internship?

Old 06-03-2011, 09:24 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,775,763 times
The same places you applied for jobs.

Now, rather than 'applying', you go and BEG for an opportunity to work for FREE doing whatever they ask. Your intention is to learn and to, if you make yourself valueable, perhaps to be hired one day. Barring that hopefully a few connections and a reccomendation.

Time to hustle and make your own opportunities and competition is fierce!

Old 06-03-2011, 09:44 AM

446 posts, read 992,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
Oy vey. Even in "good times" the entertainment industry is ridiculously difficult to get into. And even when you do jump that brick wall, it's hard to make a living wage. Right now it's next to impossible unless you're willing to work for literally free, or know someone who makes a hiring decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City