Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2017, 04:51 AM

10 posts, read 32,502 times

Advertisements

The houses were the two story houses from the '40 s &'50 s , that were two story and had that appearance of being a barn. The others were basically brick cape cod style houses from the 40's & 50 's also. Then you had the odd Tudor style along with Yhettler bungalow style. The sixties came and they started building the ugly two family boxes that were for relatives to live with family or to make a income.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 3,478 times
I lived in Valley Stream for a couple of years with my fiance and his family. I worked one of my very first jobs at Len's Sandwich Shop. They made the BEST chicken salad (which was mostly mixed with bread cubes) and the absolute best rice pudding.
Now I'm going to hit you with a BIG issue. As a hostess (I was barely 18), I was 'encouraged' to wear very short skirts and sexy tops. This was a family restaurant, if anyone remembers. Well..one day, Len himself asked me to come down to his office. He closed the door and pinned me to the desk. I 'unpinned' myself and ran out as fast as my feet would go. I never came back.

Hey Len, if you are still out there and alive, thanks for making the next five years of my life a living hell as I tried to figure out if it was my fault or not. It wasn't. It was all you. Hopefully you're gone to that very special place in hell for people like you.

#METOO

Old 11-20-2017, 09:53 AM

64 posts, read 244,624 times
I am sorry that you had that happen. But I also feel this is not the place to bring up that sought of thing, its a ROSEDALE forum not a VALLEY STREAM forum. Also this is your first post couldn't you start out with something better? How long ago did this happen and why are you bringing this up now on this site. What do you think this is going to do for you? I suggest you see if Len's is still around and go see them.

Old 12-31-2017, 02:36 PM

38 posts, read 158,266 times
[quote=l1995;49843387]So were most of the two family houses that dominate Southeast Queens built in the 60s and 70s? What did the neighborhoods look like before that?[/quote
From my meager research and from aerial photographs I have seen, Rosedale from Sunrise North to the Southern State/Cross Island interchange was mainly farmland and small housing with empty lots.
As you go south of Sunrise Hway, only Francis Lewis Blvd (Rosedale avenue), 243rd street and Hook Creek blvd had any businesses/homes and again, farms!
FLB had many farms ain the east side even into the early sixties! There was a horse riding academy just at the curve from FLB onto Rosedale Road and all of the land to the west of that was mainly swamp which was filled in as developers needed money.
When I was about 10 and living on 257th at 149th road, my neighbor across the street, had the swamp behind their home (east) which later was built as condominiums on 258th street, while Craft avenue had no homes. I also remember all of the housing being built from Weller Lane up to Huxley street and even 149th avenue did not go through to Brookville Blvd. This was because there was an abandoned LIRR branch which cut through Rosedale and ended in Cedarhurst. It paralleled Huxley from about 147th avenue and crossed the creek on a bridge set on plings.
Into my early teens we used to go crabbing at the pilings and swin in the creek! Try that today and you'd get CHOLERA or arrested!
MADDOG

Old 06-13-2018, 08:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lamberson View Post
The deli that was across the street from Delo's Pizza on the corner was Tonys Superette. Used to go there all the time when we lived on the corner of 139th Ave. & 247th St. Always would return the glass deposit bottles there for cash! Good memories. The building no longer is there.

The deli across the street from Delos was my grandfathers deli/butcher shop. It was not called Tony's

Old 04-29-2019, 01:44 PM

38 posts, read 158,266 times
Default Aerial Views of our homes

HI folks,
I just finished using HISTORICAERIALS.COM to see Rosedale as a birds eye view. The oldest views are from 1966 and I guess winter, as you could see virtually everything and in some spots, absolutely nothing!
I highly recommend that you take a gander. I was able to find my house which was only 4 years old at the time.
ENJOY!
MADDOG

Old 07-07-2019, 04:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,003 times
Default Going to schools in Rosedale-Springfield Gardens

The early 70s was tough. Going to Springfield High was a trip. Long ride to SHSchool from Rosedale on a citi bus using a bus pass. Tough militant black kids would travel in packs beating white kids. Teachers who couldn't teach, bathrooms were dangerous. Police had a station right there in the school. Anti war protest in front of the school, anti-USA vs Patriots and pro-USA people. Lots of fights. Lots of drugs, especially pot and acid. PS38on 241 st, St Pius, St Clare's, the other elementary school down past 147 ave were all white so when we advanced up to Jr High and HS we were in culture shock.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:11 AM

2 posts, read 4,054 times
Angry I remember Rosedale in the 70's

I grew up in Far Rockaway, but my best friend lived in Rosedale. I spent a lot of time there with her, and I can tell you 100%, Rosedale whites were racist as hell!

Old 07-11-2019, 05:49 AM

4 posts, read 6,755 times
Default Old Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Kowalsky View Post
Does anyone remember the Hotel (used to be an old stagecoach stop) on Brookville Blvd and Merrick Blvd? Next to the cross Island Pkwy and across from the custard stand and Valerios
Yes - as I recall, it had a fire in the late 50's early 60's. Eventually knocked down and an Amoco gas station went in. Was next to Nuzzi Nursery, original McDonalds, and around the corner from Boening Bros beer distributors. What about the ice cream stand at Merrick and Brookville, Valerio's beer dock? Augie's Sunoco, Rosies Deli, the Emerald Tavern - yes, lot's of memories! Do you know a Linda Kowalsky?

Old 07-14-2019, 08:57 AM

15 posts, read 61,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Kowalsky View Post
Does anyone remember the Hotel (used to be an old stagecoach stop) on Brookville Blvd and Merrick Blvd? Next to the cross Island Pkwy and across from the custard stand and Valerios
Peter Kowalsky I went to school with you thru P.S.38 to Springfield Gardens High School. In regard to the hotel I was told by( oldtimers )LOL that it was a bar and brothel for farmers going from the city out to Long Island and of course back to Brooklyn and Queens. It was located on the corner of Merrrick Blvd. and Brookville Blvd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City