Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2008, 11:26 AM

22 posts, read 131,444 times

Advertisements

No i dont recall a Chinese take out on 225 th. I lived in Rosedale 1966 to 1986, might be before I remember, or I just dont recall. Was it across from Bohacks ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 07:58 AM

33 posts, read 197,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat L View Post
No i dont recall a Chinese take out on 225 th. I lived in Rosedale 1966 to 1986, might be before I remember, or I just dont recall. Was it across from Bohacks ??
The place was there in the 70s we use to call phony orders and send him to the neighbors that we didn’t like and watch him argue with them. We were bad...

Old 05-23-2008, 08:07 AM

Has anyone else seen the movie Romance and Cigarettes? This movie was filmed in Rosedale and uses Rosedale as a backdrop. It is a musical and stars James Gandolfini and Susan Sarandon. It is a John Turturro movie available on DVD

Old 05-26-2008, 09:32 PM

3 posts, read 21,306 times
All those name took me back WOW

Old 05-27-2008, 08:57 AM

3 posts, read 21,306 times
Hello all.
All of these stories and memories that people talk about are great. I lived in Rosedale from 1972 until 1990 I cannot think of a better place to have been raised. I lived on 250th st. in the crooked house. 138 school yard was the hang out for my brother and two sisters and then me. It seemed to be passed down.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:39 AM

4 posts, read 38,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryshap View Post
Has anyone else seen the movie Romance and Cigarettes? This movie was filmed in Rosedale and uses Rosedale as a backdrop. It is a musical and stars James Gandolfini and Susan Sarandon. It is a John Turturro movie available on DVD
I SAW THAT MOVIE AND ALSO WATCHED THEM MAKE THE MOVIE. I ACTUALLY WENT TO THE PREMIER. THAT WAS A FUNNY MOVIE. MY BOYFRIEND IS ACTUALLY COUSINS WITH JOHN TURTURRO. IF IT'S OUT ON DVD I'M DEF GOING TO BUY IT. I GREW UP IN ROSEDALE AROUND THE CORNER FROM ST. PIUS 2BLOCKS FROM 195.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:21 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,306,319 times
Default I was in Rosedale on May 24, 2008.

I took these pictures of the Rosedale Vietnam Vets Memorial on Saturday, May 24, 2008. The Rosedale Funeral parlor is now a fast food joint. The building for the Rosedale Ambulance is still there. I served in it in the 1980s.
PICTURES OF THE ROSEDALE MEMORIAL'S 40th YEAR REDEDICATION

Old 05-29-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
I took these pictures of the Rosedale Vietnam Vets Memorial on Saturday, May 24, 2008. The Rosedale Funeral parlor is now a fast food joint. The building for the Rosedale Ambulance is still there. I served in it in the 1980s.
PICTURES OF THE ROSEDALE MEMORIAL'S 40th YEAR REDEDICATION
Thanks for posting those pictures. I remember the Kellys and I remember the day they were informed of their sons death, like it was yesterday.... I am glad the memorial is still standing.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:06 AM

3,301 posts, read 6,306,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryshap View Post
Thanks for posting those pictures. I remember the Kellys and I remember the day they were informed of their sons death, like it was yesterday.... I am glad the memorial is still standing.
A new name was added on Saturday to the Honor Roll. The Rosedale man was left off the Memorial for 40 years.

I lived a few blocks from O'Reilly's and walked down there for Kelly. The crowd was so big, many people had to wait outside the building.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:38 AM

21 posts, read 173,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE4THCLIFF View Post
......HEY ALI.....WE JUST CANT GET AWAY FROM ROSEDALE CAN WE??? LOL!!....HAD TO DROP MY HUSBAND OFF AT HIS WAREHOUSE...LOCATED ON 147TH ACROSS FROM WHERE THE OLD DEW DROP INN USED BE.....AND ONCE IN ROSEDALE ...YOU JUST GOTTA TOUR IT A BIT!!....AND...IM ALWAYS OVERCOME WITH NOSTALGIA....I AM TRYING TO LOCATE ANY INDIVIDUALS WHO USED TO HANG OUT AT PS 138 IN THE EARLY 70S...THERES A SMALL PICNIC PLANNED AND I WOULD LOVE TO FIND ANY SURPRISE GUESTS.....THE GROUP THAT GATHERED THERE WOULD BE APPROXIMATELY 52-54 YEARS OLD ...OR THEREABOUTS.....HOPE ALL IS WELL WITH YOU ALI AND YOU ARE ENJOYING SOME NICE WEATHER DOWN THERE!
Hi Annie It is weird reading the posts here, some are really not talking about the place we grew up in...I moved to the area in 1953 and it was surely a very different place. I believe it was the cheerleader girl who was talking about the mafia and stuff like that. I guess they didn't know that the Son's Of Italy was a restaurant before that, The Pizza King, where kids came from as far as Brooklyn to hear the local bands play and dance the night away. I heard mention of the diner on the corner of Farmer's and Rockaway Blvds.(there were no zip codes then, but the area was in zone 34, later becoming 11434, Jamaica) and remember that place as a kid as it was just around the corner from our house on 175th St. Or the Owl Tavern where many of the workers from the airport went after work to throw one back with their friends (think they had filmed part of Wall Street in there). There was mention of the conduit and 144th, Elsie's grandmother owned the candy store there and Ferdinand's restaurant was the place where many parties were held. One of my friend's lived over one of the stores on Conduit there. Everything past New York Blvd was in zone 13, later 11413 which was Springfield Gardens. Along 147th (or Cherry Ave before they turned everything to numbered streets sometime in the early 40s) there were many homes that were later turned into air frieght companies in the late 60s, early 70s. Across from the Dew Drop Inn was a junk yard, lots of old cars all down Sprinfield Lane there. A lumber yard was on one corner of 147th and New York Blvd., a gas station on the other and the Red Bus had a stop there for the bus that continues on to Far Rockaway or the one that went up 147th to Rosedale ending at Francis Lewis. Mr. Softee had their garage on the corner of 147th and 175th St just off Farmer's Blvd. Police raids or drug busts where never heard of back then. Brookville (it was NEVER known as Brookfield) Park was somewhere we kids could ride our bikes to and play all day. Springfield Park as another safe haven for us kids where with a home made fishing pole and some white bread, we would hope to catch a fish in the pond. There was Whitey's stable at the end of 147th Ave and Hook Creek where us kids could take a pony ride and there was so much open space, lots of the houses off 147th towards the swamps weren't even built yet. The closest high schools were either Andrew Jackson or Far Rockaway, Springfield Gardens High School wasn't even a dream nor was JHS 231, PS 181 or PS 195. We didn't know from race riots, color was never an issue. Rosedale was just about all white, but Springfield Gardens just up the road was another story. I graduated from PS 52 and we had a good mix there. We had two very wonderful black teachers (African-American was not a term back then) who were the favorite of most every student who they taught. In 1953, they were both brand new and the first Black teachers in the system there. By 1962, our neighborhood became mostly Black and it was very peaceful. Well, I could go on and on but I will say that the whole country seemed to have changed after 1968, not just Rosedale. By the way, life is great here in North Carolina!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City