Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2008, 07:02 PM

26 posts, read 132,609 times

Advertisements

I can tell you this, if you drive down 147th ave. you will see in grafitti "Mobsdale" written on a fence on the right hand side of 147th when you are leaving Green Acres Mall. I'm not sure if any MOB people lived in Rosedale back in the day, but I do remember hearing stories about the Mob dumping bodies in the swamp by Snake Road and in the lake in Springfield Park back in the late 1960's and early 1970's. Anyway who cares if they lived there a long time ago - they're "ghosts" of Rosedale PAST, they sure don't live there in the year 2008...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom20349 View Post
I watched Goodfellas about 50 times (goodfellahenry.com) sorry no links to rosedale and valley stream just idlewild airport (jamica). Fact is some mob people lived in Rosedale but then again they lived all over queens for that matter but very littlle activity no major busts as you assert. Also never referred to as Mobsdale sorry your trying to "steriotype" Maybe they dropped you on one of those cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 07:27 PM

242 posts, read 926,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingprincess View Post
Hello Jetscheerchick:

I Lived In Rosedale For 34 Years. I Moved Away Only 2 Years Ago. I Read A Post That You Sent In About When The Bridges Were Broken And The Tennis Courts Were Ruined And I Remember That Time Vividly Even Though I Was Between The Ages Of 4-6 Years Old. I Had A Sister Who Was Quite A Bit Older Than Me - 11 Years To Be Exact - And So I Remember Going With Her To The Park Alot And I Always Wondered Why Everything Was Broken Back Then. I Remember How Racist Rosedale Was - And I Am A White Woman By The Way. I Remember Being Very Young And Sitting On My Babysitter's Porch - She Lived About 4 Blocks Away From "town" - And All Of The Horrible Things That Her And Her Neighbors Would Say Whenever A Black Person Walked Down "their" Street. I Remember Thinking Even At Such A Young Age That They Were Crazy. When They Would Start Their Rantings I Would Go Inside, I Never Wanted To Be Associated With Individuals Like That, You See, I Lived On "the Other Side Of Brookville Park" (in Between 225th Street And Brookville Park) When I Was Growing Up In The 1970's There Were Kids Of Every Race On That Side, So I Was Friends With Black Kids, Spanish Kids, Indian Kids, Chinese Kids. I Didn't See Color Then And I Definitely Don't See It Now. I'm Tired Of Hearing All Of These "old Timer Rosedalians" Talking About How Bad The Neighborhood Is And How It Isn't Like The Old Days. They Are Soooooooooo Wrong! I'm 36 Years Old And I Loved Growing Up In Rosedale! Me And My Friends Had A Blast And We All Played Together;however, Whenever We Would Go To "town" We Were Constantly Harrassed By Numerous Racists Whites. I Remember Them Burning A Cross On The First Black Person's House Who Moved Into The "white Side" - I Was 10 Years Old And I Was Horrified. And There Was A Person On One Of These Message Boards Who Said There Was No "kkk" Or No "clan" In Rosedale, Well Then Tell Me Why When I Was Growing Up I Saw "kkk" In Grafitti All Over Brookville Park And Why Was A Cross Burned On A Black Family's Front Lawn Back In 1981? I Remember When My Side Of Brookville Park "changed" And All Of The Different Ethnicities Moved Away Making My Side Completely Black By 1983 - With The Exception Of Me And My Mother And A Few Very Elderly Whites. The "white Side" Of Rosedale Started To Change In The Early 1990's When I Was In My Early 20's. There Were For Sale Signs All Over The Place! I Think They Call It "white Flight". They Ran As Far Away As They Could And Now They Are On These Message Boards Crying About How "bad" Rosedale Is! Unbelievable. When I Was A Little Kid - Brookville Park Was Full Of White "drug Addicts" And The Park Was Ruined By Them. I Remember All Of The Cars Parked Inside Of Brookville And All The Broken Beer Bottles All Over The Place - And These Were Whites That Did This, Not Blacks. I Wonder Why All Of These Former Rosedalians Think Rosedale Is Sooo Bad? Is It Because It Is Mainly Black Now? Does Black = Bad? Hmmn, I Wonder If Rosedale Was Still White Would They Still Feel The Same Way. Let Me State For The Record, My Son Is 10 Years Old And He Was Raised In Rosedale Until He Was 8 Years Old. The Kids Were Wonderful! I Would Take Him And All Of His Friends To Brookville Park Every Weekend, And Guess What? They Would Go To The Playground, Play Baseball, Play Basketball, Ride Bikes Up And Down The Giant Hill By The Tennis Courts, Go And Feed The Ducks By The Lake Where There Are Only Steps Now And The Boathouse Is Gone, My Son And His Friends Loved "the Gully" As The Old Rosedalians Called It - We Call It The "brooke" - Which Is By The Old Pipe And The Tennis Courts, They Played Tennis, Frisbee, Jumprope, Hopscotch, Etc... I Could Go On And On. Rosedale Is Not A Bad Place, It's Just Filled With A Group Of People Who Are Of A Different Complexion. That Doesn't Make It "bad". I Will Admit That During The 1980's There Was Alot Of Crime, But By The Time My Son Was Born - 10 Years Ago - The Crime Went Down And Rosedale Became The Place That I Remembered As A Child Except Now My Son Was Able To Enjoy It Just As Much As I Did. I Wish There Were More People In My Age Group That Wrote In To These Forums Who Could Set The Record Straight. I'm Sick And Tired Of People Saying Negative Things About A Place That I Hold Very Dear In My Heart.

Apparently the schools were as bad then as they are now.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrock247 View Post
Apparently the schools were as bad then as they are now.

Please explain?

Old 06-04-2008, 08:01 PM

675 posts, read 1,255,883 times
Quote:
I can tell you this, if you drive down 147th ave. you will see in grafitti "Mobsdale" written on a fence on the right hand side of 147th when you are leaving Green Acres Mall. I'm not sure if any MOB people lived in Rosedale back in the day, but I do remember hearing stories about the Mob dumping bodies in the swamp by Snake Road and in the lake in Springfield Park back in the late 1960's and early 1970's. Anyway who cares if they lived there a long time ago - they're "ghosts" of Rosedale PAST, they sure don't live there in the year 2008...
The 'Mobzdale' you see written on that fence has no connection to the old days, its the current street slang for Rosedale just like 'LA' is short for Laurelton and South Side represents South Jamaica/South Ozone/Baisley. These kids that now live in the area have no idea of the history of the area

Old 06-04-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Hello Jetscheerchick:

I Lived In Rosedale For 34 Years. I Moved Away Only 2 Years Ago. I Read A Post That You Sent In About When The Bridges Were Broken And The Tennis Courts Were Ruined And I Remember That Time Vividly Even Though I Was Between The Ages Of 4-6 Years Old. I Had A Sister Who Was Quite A Bit Older Than Me - 11 Years To Be Exact - And So I Remember Going With Her To The Park Alot And I Always Wondered Why Everything Was Broken Back Then. I Remember How Racist Rosedale Was - And I Am A White Woman By The Way. I Remember Being Very Young And Sitting On My Babysitter's Porch - She Lived About 4 Blocks Away From "town" - And All Of The Horrible Things That Her And Her Neighbors Would Say Whenever A Black Person Walked Down "their" Street. I Remember Thinking Even At Such A Young Age That They Were Crazy. When They Would Start Their Rantings I Would Go Inside, I Never Wanted To Be Associated With Individuals Like That, You See, I Lived On "the Other Side Of Brookville Park" (in Between 225th Street And Brookville Park) When I Was Growing Up In The 1970's There Were Kids Of Every Race On That Side, So I Was Friends With Black Kids, Spanish Kids, Indian Kids, Chinese Kids. I Didn't See Color Then And I Definitely Don't See It Now. I'm Tired Of Hearing All Of These "old Timer Rosedalians" Talking About How Bad The Neighborhood Is And How It Isn't Like The Old Days. They Are Soooooooooo Wrong! I'm 36 Years Old And I Loved Growing Up In Rosedale! Me And My Friends Had A Blast And We All Played Together;however, Whenever We Would Go To "town" We Were Constantly Harrassed By Numerous Racists Whites. I Remember Them Burning A Cross On The First Black Person's House Who Moved Into The "white Side" - I Was 10 Years Old And I Was Horrified. And There Was A Person On One Of These Message Boards Who Said There Was No "kkk" Or No "clan" In Rosedale, Well Then Tell Me Why When I Was Growing Up I Saw "kkk" In Grafitti All Over Brookville Park And Why Was A Cross Burned On A Black Family's Front Lawn Back In 1981? I Remember When My Side Of Brookville Park "changed" And All Of The Different Ethnicities Moved Away Making My Side Completely Black By 1983 - With The Exception Of Me And My Mother And A Few Very Elderly Whites. The "white Side" Of Rosedale Started To Change In The Early 1990's When I Was In My Early 20's. There Were For Sale Signs All Over The Place! I Think They Call It "white Flight". They Ran As Far Away As They Could And Now They Are On These Message Boards Crying About How "bad" Rosedale Is! Unbelievable. When I Was A Little Kid - Brookville Park Was Full Of White "drug Addicts" And The Park Was Ruined By Them. I Remember All Of The Cars Parked Inside Of Brookville And All The Broken Beer Bottles All Over The Place - And These Were Whites That Did This, Not Blacks. I Wonder Why All Of These Former Rosedalians Think Rosedale Is Sooo Bad? Is It Because It Is Mainly Black Now? Does Black = Bad? Hmmn, I Wonder If Rosedale Was Still White Would They Still Feel The Same Way. Let Me State For The Record, My Son Is 10 Years Old And He Was Raised In Rosedale Until He Was 8 Years Old. The Kids Were Wonderful! I Would Take Him And All Of His Friends To Brookville Park Every Weekend, And Guess What? They Would Go To The Playground, Play Baseball, Play Basketball, Ride Bikes Up And Down The Giant Hill By The Tennis Courts, Go And Feed The Ducks By The Lake Where There Are Only Steps Now And The Boathouse Is Gone, My Son And His Friends Loved "the Gully" As The Old Rosedalians Called It - We Call It The "brooke" - Which Is By The Old Pipe And The Tennis Courts, They Played Tennis, Frisbee, Jumprope, Hopscotch, Etc... I Could Go On And On. Rosedale Is Not A Bad Place, It's Just Filled With A Group Of People Who Are Of A Different Complexion. That Doesn't Make It "bad". I Will Admit That During The 1980's There Was Alot Of Crime, But By The Time My Son Was Born - 10 Years Ago - The Crime Went Down And Rosedale Became The Place That I Remembered As A Child Except Now My Son Was Able To Enjoy It Just As Much As I Did. I Wish There Were More People In My Age Group That Wrote In To These Forums Who Could Set The Record Straight. I'm Sick And Tired Of People Saying Negative Things About A Place That I Hold Very Dear In My Heart.
Co-Sign everything...did you go to JHS 231?

Old 06-04-2008, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
The 'Mobzdale' you see written on that fence has no connection to the old days, its the current street slang for Rosedale just like 'LA' is short for Laurelton and South Side represents South Jamaica/South Ozone/Baisley. These kids that now live in the area have no idea of the history of the area
Thank you for the information. I have heard of the other slang terms for Laurelton, South Jamaica, South Ozone Park and Baisley, but I never heard of Rosedale being referred to as Mobzdale until I saw this written on the fence. I wonder why they call it this?

Old 06-05-2008, 05:23 AM

22 posts, read 131,773 times
I'm sure all will aggree throughout 70's and 80's Rosedale was on the bottom of NYC's services list. Roads were in poor condition, trash pick up was sporadic. snow removal sporadic and mass transit difficult at best. Bus shelters ? not in Rosedale of 70's 80's. Brookville Park was not taken care of. Shame but it seems NYC did not start taking care of Rosedale until crime and mass exodus put our town in the headlines and not good ones ! We all like to remember the people and places in a positive light but neglect from city services, and our location in eastern Queens (the further away from Manhattan you are in NYC the less your served) played a major role in Rosedale's changes throughout the 70's and 80's. Lets not confuse racism with realism. 2 murders around my corner caused me to move, not what my neighbors looked like. I guess you can say drug/crack epidemic of 90's hurt our town and trying to change that image will be very difficult !

Old 06-05-2008, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the information. I have heard of the other slang terms for Laurelton, South Jamaica, South Ozone Park and Baisley, but I never heard of Rosedale being referred to as Mobzdale until I saw this written on the fence. I wonder why they call it this?
Actually the first time i saw the words 'Mobzdale' written was on the side of a wall on the S Conduit and 224st in the mid-90's. At that time the area was going down hill with several homicides between Springfield Blvd to 228th st (The 8th). I'm not sure the origins of the nickname but i'm sure it was a way for the kids to 'rep' their area. Back in the 80's you had Boom Bash crew in Laurelton and Farmers Crew over by Farmers Blvd and Guy Brewer with Rosedale (on 'this' side of brookfield park) in the middle.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:22 AM

4 posts, read 39,080 times
Quote:
I can tell you this, I remember going to Green Acres Mall with my friends, whom happened to be black ( I am a white woman) and being chased down that slanted street right off of Hook Creek Blvd. maybe one block away from KFC by a bunch of white men in a car. She is NOT exaggerating at all. I believe the year was 1983...

i'm a white person and i remember hanging out at 195 school yard and it was late at night i was with about 4 more white girls and we got chased by a van with about 5 black guys in the back and that was in the 80's. so what is the point of all of this. you have bad white people and bad black people and also good white and good black. why r people trying to make this site into a racial issue. This is for rememberance of rosedale and growing up there and reaching out to people you knew and know.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:08 PM

2 posts, read 14,552 times
OMG, my mom was from Rosedale and my aunt and grandfather lived there till the 80's. They lived two blocks from Rose's deli. we had a contest, everytime we visited to see who was the first to spot Rose's deli, and we ALWAYS got a hero there for lunch...They had a very tiny but neat house. I loved Roses' and visiting Rosedale.thanks for the memories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City