Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2008, 10:09 PM

1 posts, read 7,939 times

Advertisements

i currently live in rosedale im realy 14 so dont no wat had happened that made people leave rosedale. now rosedale doesent realy sound like that any more. i read some peoples coments and some people said that at brokvillpark there use to be boats to ride ..im so mad because now there isent any boats there probley because global warming theres not that much water to go on boats but that realy had sound really coool.

i wish i got to see how it was back in the dayy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 08:45 AM

15 posts, read 146,627 times
I'm glad to have been a part of the Rosedale experience. Good or bad the experiences shape who we are. My daughters were Jets Cheerleaders just like their mother. We are still very active in the community and it upset me when Tom mentioned that the neighborhood's reputation dwindled (inferring) when the Blacks moved in. The neighborhood as with any goes through changes and I'm grateful to have memories that can be chronicled thru pictures, others stories, friendships etc. It's disconcerting to believe that because I'm black some of my experience of racism are dismissed. In no way has this made me bitter it is a part of Rosedale history as much as the integration of America as a whole. And yes it is as important as the Veteran Memorial, the landscape, and the friends we have all made.
FYI - MOBZDALE is a gang reference (2006) Money over B****es.

And most recently Rosedale Jets have been accepted into the Long Island divisions thanks to Jacque Leandre (the first black Rosedale player of his division back in the seventies) Very historic. You can go to their website and see old pix of the early teams and the progression over time.
I promised I wouldn't come back but it's cool to remember old times. One of the JHS 231 teachers (Mr. Ford) from the 70's is now Principal of IS 59. P. S. 181 has their first female assistant Principal and black female Principal. Considering the climate of politics and culture these little equalities should never be overlooked or downplayed.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:44 PM

5 posts, read 32,302 times
I enjoyed reading everyone's postings. Especially the good memories about Rosedale. I moved there with my family in 1961. We lived on 250th and Memphis Ave. After I married a boy from Rosedale, we moved into a house on Weller Lane and lived there for thirteen years. We live in Florida now for almost 17 years. UGH! I'm not sure it was the best move, but Long Island's taxes were outrageous. Anyway, Rosedale was the best place to grow up. As far as the bad things that happened, I agree with DeLuca. There are good and bad in all races. I am white and when I went to 231 had my dress (before we could wear pants to school) pulled up by black boys. Very scary. It's unfortunate, but yes, we did leave because we didn't want to send out daughter to JHS 231. There was some talk of another school going up by the McDonald's on Hook Creek and Merrick, but it never did. We have been back several times and cruise through. It's still a beautiful neighborhood.

Old 06-07-2008, 12:20 PM

3 posts, read 21,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria5678 View Post
I enjoyed reading everyone's postings. Especially the good memories about Rosedale. I moved there with my family in 1961. We lived on 250th and Memphis Ave. After I married a boy from Rosedale, we moved into a house on Weller Lane and lived there for thirteen years. We live in Florida now for almost 17 years. UGH! I'm not sure it was the best move, but Long Island's taxes were outrageous. Anyway, Rosedale was the best place to grow up. As far as the bad things that happened, I agree with DeLuca. There are good and bad in all races. I am white and when I went to 231 had my dress (before we could wear pants to school) pulled up by black boys. Very scary. It's unfortunate, but yes, we did leave because we didn't want to send out daughter to JHS 231. There was some talk of another school going up by the McDonald's on Hook Creek and Merrick, but it never did. We have been back several times and cruise through. It's still a beautiful neighborhood.
Hi, what house did you live in? Because I lived on 250th between Memphis and Weller in the crooked house across from the apartments. from 71-90 now in Fla, also, its ok but nothing like the old neighborhood.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:16 AM

3,301 posts, read 6,303,816 times
Default Rose's Deli

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorikenyon View Post
OMG, my mom was from Rosedale and my aunt and grandfather lived there till the 80's. They lived two blocks from Rose's deli. we had a contest, everytime we visited to see who was the first to spot Rose's deli, and we ALWAYS got a hero there for lunch...They had a very tiny but neat house. I loved Roses' and visiting Rosedale.thanks for the memories.
I remember Rose of Rose's Deli. She was a very nice, little Italian lady. In the early 1960's, she moved back to Italy.

I lived down a few streets from Rose's on 243rd and 137 Ave.

They had some great, Italian food. There was almost always a crowd there.

It's no longer called Rose's Deli.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:07 AM

2 posts, read 15,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deluca View Post
mike avolio do you remember me i lived down the block from you in the corner house(DELUCA) 148th road around the corner from st.pius and 2 blocks from 195. how is the family doing.
Hi this is lori, your next door neighbor for many years. How are you?

Old 06-12-2008, 08:40 PM

5 posts, read 32,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Mazzucco View Post
Hi, what house did you live in? Because I lived on 250th between Memphis and Weller in the crooked house across from the apartments. from 71-90 now in Fla, also, its ok but nothing like the old neighborhood.

Hi,

I lived at the other end of 250th St. I don't remember a crooked house, but I must have passed it everytime I walked to the bus stop to go to school everyday. Where do you live in FLA?

Old 06-13-2008, 03:48 AM

2 posts, read 15,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE JENETTE View Post
Stopped Playing At 42. Bad Knees. One Replaced. One To Go. Then Ill Be Back.
Laruuso Lives By Me. His Dad Still Looks The Same. Alot Of Old Names. Anthony Lives In What Part Of Florida. Have One Boy Left In High School, A Basketball Player.hes Finishing His Junior Year, A Starting Point Guard. Waiting For My Grandchildren ( Have 2 ) To Go Back To Coaching The Little Guys. Anybody Marry Local Girls From Rosedale.
I grew up next door to the LaRusso's. I have great memories of those days. I remember Joe Sr. making Bobby practice pitching in our driveway. I enjoyed quite a bit of Bea's cooking. Please tell them Lori says hi.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:48 AM

21 posts, read 173,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsCheerChick View Post
Thanks for verifying/detailing some of the things I mentioned. Growing up in Rosedale my neighbors were really cool about passing on the history of the place. 'Sons of Italy' was a restaurant and I think I mentioned that my parents were given the opportunity to attend many functions because Sons of Italy sponsored so many community events, sports, churchs, etc. that we were included in (our race meant little after awhile). Racism was alive but as you mentioned it was also individualized. Once my family was accepted as 'good hardworking folk' we had few incidents directed at us personally. I was lucky to have so many friends looking out for me and telling me about the place. It really was an exciting neighborhood to grow up in. Rosedale has alot of historical value. I remember the White Owl (although I was never old enough to go in there). I remember the underpass to catch the Q-5 bus (it was a scary place) and since then they have permanently closed it off. By the time I moved around there all the schools had been erected but I do remember my brother attending Andrew Jackson because Springfield was just finishing construction and it didn't have a full staff yet. Prior to living in Rosedale my family lived in Hollis. So we've always lived in pre-dominantly white neighborhoods.
I remember the Dew Drop Inn, took me a while to catch the double meaning. And I did the stick fishing with bread too. We also used to let our dogs go swimming in Brookville pond and my sister used to go ice-skating there. I used to go over and feed the ducks. They've redone the park. A 2.5 million dollar renovation. They fixed up the football field, redid the playground (twice) and are supposed to be putting in stands and a clubhouse and concession stand and bathrooms nearer the fields for games. Theres a soccor/croquet field by the old field two and a second field across 147th ave for baseball as well as the old one near the football fields.
My mom retired to Winston-Salem NC and let me tell you the place is really wonderful and I think I might very well end up there myself one day. I happen to be a romance writer and my first novel takes place in the mountains near there. Check it out 'Come With Me'. My other novel is 'If You Were Mine'. Each of them starts out in NY so it'll be like visiting. You can order both from Amazon.com.
Cheer Chick
I think I'm gonna check out the Cigarette movie mentioned. I think it's on pay per view this month.

Hi Cheer Chick

When my in-laws moved out of Rosedale in 1975 (my X and I had bought a house out in Suffolk County in '72), the Pizza King was still there. My X used to work in Avanti's almost from the time they first opened. As I said before, I grew up at the Springfield Gardens end of 147th Avenue and when we were big enough to ride two wheel bikes, we wereover at Brookville Park all the time. We couldn't have been more than 8 years old and it was a far ride for us litle kids. There wasn' much South of Rosedale back then, just lots of swamps behind he Pizza King with a few old houses here and there. A few years later, what a change!! Owl Tavern NEVER had any mention of White on it.... It was at the corner of New York and Farmers Boulevards. And at the Dew Drop Inn, one of my classmates from PS 52, her father was the bar tender there at night. Their last name was Toy. I am guessing that your brother graduated Jackson in 1967 as that was the last year that kids from Rosedale and our part of Springfield went to Jackson. My sisiter was in the class of 1968, the first graduating class from Springfield High.

I went to the park and saw the renovations. The park looks really great as does Springfield Park...we sure never had it so nice We didn't even know from Tennis back then, but now Springfield Park had some nice Tennis courts. Soccer, too, was pretty unheard of back in OUR day! We did have a concession stand in the old boat house although in the mid 50s, they didn't have any rental boats either We could buy pretzels, candy and drinks and those little boxes of Campfire marshmellows that we would start a small fire with twigs to roast them over. Winston-Salem is a few hours North of where I am just outside Charlotte. We have a HUGE man-made lake near us, Lake Norman has over 520 miles of shorefront and there are some boats on it that are over 40 feet long besides the excursion boats that take tourists to see some pretty impressive homes of some of the NASCAR legends. I will definitely look up your books!

Old 06-15-2008, 09:08 AM

21 posts, read 173,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheEss View Post
Does anyone else remember that tunnel in Rosedale that used to go under the Belt Parkway? It was a pedestrian underpass near Brookville Park?

It has been paved over for some time now.

I just want to reference this:

Cedarhurst Cutoff

There used to be a branch of the LIRR that cut off from the main line in Rosedale, that ran down Edgewood, through what is now Brookville Park, down to Cedarhurst. The website explains it very well.

That tunnel under the parkway always seemed weird to me. It started in a weird place and came up in a weird place.

Could it have been related to that old LIRR line?

Once upon a time the Rosedale Station was west of where it currently is, sort of near Edgewood & Conduit. Could the tunnel have been built to service the railroad customers? Otherwise, what purpose could it have served? Pedestrians could have walked to either 225th or Brookville Blvd to cross. Of all the places on the Belt Parkway to build a pedestrian underpass, that location seemed like the least useful.

And as I recall, it only went under the parkway, not the Conduit. So going from the southside to the northside, you came up in the middle of nowhere, and still had to cross the Conduit.

Why was the tunnel there?
You have to remember that whe the tunnel was built, probably the time that they put the parkway in, the roads were quite different. Traffic was NOTHING like it is today. Crossing the conduit was not a big deal. In fact, when I lived off of Farmers Boulevard, my friends would cross the parkway over Farmers or New York Boulevards starting from Kindergarten (younger kids always walked with their older siblings) and parents never walked their kids to school then (except in Kindergarten if here were no older kids in th family). I believe the underpass was put in for the LIRR station there, all trains were at street level way back and I am not sure when the actually raised the tracks but I do remember the LIRR tracks on Farmers having a gateman there for when the train would pass. MAN...am I gettng OLD!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City