Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2008, 09:01 PM

12 posts, read 74,433 times

Advertisements

Wow! I really enjoyed reading all the posts...it brings back great memories of a wonderful childhood...there will never be another Rosedale...no matter where you go...it was a one of a kind place...Friends and neighbors were like family and everyone knew who you were or who your siblings were or your parents were....FUN TIMES
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 05:08 AM

21 posts, read 138,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliKaplan48 View Post
I believe the underpass was put in for the LIRR station there, all trains were at street level way back and I am not sure when the actually raised the tracks but I do remember the LIRR tracks on Farmers having a gateman there for when the train would pass. MAN...am I gettng OLD!!!
Hey, we like older folks. They got the memories!

My neighbor grew up further north on the west end of Valley Stream. He owned and rode horses back in the day and remembers horseback riding in the area of Brookville Park and riding by the railroad tracks that ran through there.

Someone mentioned a horseback riding academy down where Francis Lewis Blvd and Hook Creek meet. He also remembered another one behind where the Sons of Italy hall was.

This second riding academy was owned by a man who was married to an American Indian woman. He said they had a very rundown home with burlap sacks hanging over the windows for curtains. And they seemed to have 100 children.

The Indian wife would saddle up a horse with burlap sacks slung over it and ride over to the Bohack to go grocery shopping, and come back with the sacks all loaded up.

The big home on Hook Creek Blvd that in recent years was the Cusamano Estate (levelled last year to make room for more housing units - sigh) he remembers being the home of Dr. Winslow.

The big arced driveway used to get loaded with horsedrawn buggies pulling up for big parties. Sort of like a bit of "Gone With The Wind" right here in Rosedale.

If you look at old maps from the early 1900s, you'll see Winslow owned huge tracts of land. In fact, the deeds to many homes in the area still bear the name "Winslow Estates."

Winslow's land was farmed, and there were shacks around the area for the farmhands to live in. Rosedale housing originally only existed in the area just east of present day Brookville Park and south of the Conduit.

North of the Conduit was stretches of farmland.

And Ali, check out this webpage about the old Springfield Gardens LIRR station:

Springfield Gardens

There are some old photos there of the gateman at the railroad crossing in Springfield Gardens. Maybe you'll recognize him!

Old 06-17-2008, 09:33 AM

3,301 posts, read 6,324,912 times
Lake Norman is a beautiful place in NC. It's a shame how dried up it got.

A close friend of mine from Rosedale lives in Charlotte, NC. Mike Corcoran. I went to see him back in October.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:00 PM

22 posts, read 131,773 times
anyone remember television reception being interrupted whenever a airliner flew overhead ?? Whenever we played on the baseball field south of Brookville Park I could swear those planes were no higher than 100 feet !! Remember the big deal everyone made over the Concord landing at JFK ? How the sonic boom was going to break our windows and and rattle our dishes !! Talk about much ado about nothing ! My friends mother was going to "lay across the runway" to stop the plane. Taught me a lesson about being wary of community "activist". A lot of emotion without real consideration of facts. Plane was less than a nuisance it was actually fun to watch !Turns out Rosedale outlasted the Concord !!!

Old 06-18-2008, 08:48 PM

5 posts, read 32,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
Lake Norman is a beautiful place in NC. It's a shame how dried up it got.

A close friend of mine from Rosedale lives in Charlotte, NC. Mike Corcoran. I went to see him back in October.

Proud CapMarine,

I'm glad to see you sticking around after being the one who started this thread. I found this site rather late and many have since disappeared. I love reading about the old days. I would love to see pics of the horses the previous writer was talking about. Imagine riding to Bohack. WOW! What year was that. My parents moved to 250th st. in 1961. They bought the house from the Kliens who had lived in that house for, I don't know, 50 years. they told us the garage behind the house used to be a barn and they had horses there. Maybe I can find some pics of old Rosedale on the internet somewhere. Well, I hope we can keep this going and get some people back to the thread.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:32 PM

42 posts, read 239,180 times
Default Kevin Pratt - Angela you have a brother Kevin

I lived on 226th and 145 Ave since 1960 and lived on the other side of Brookville Park and my family would get calls for your family sometimes because we had the same name. Yea, I remember all those places too. Nothing like your childhood memories. It was a great place to live.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat L View Post
Remember the big deal everyone made over the Concord landing at JFK ? How the sonic boom was going to break our windows and and rattle our dishes !! Talk about much ado about nothing ! My friends mother was going to "lay across the runway" to stop the plane. Taught me a lesson about being wary of community "activist". A lot of emotion without real consideration of facts. Plane was less than a nuisance it was actually fun to watch !Turns out Rosedale outlasted the Concord !!!
The Concord was only a big deal on takeoff. When landing it was like any other plane. As I recall, the deal they worked out was that the SST would only take off from the runway that went out over the water.

I remember fishing with my father down by North Woodmere Park, behind Rockaway Tpke. Maybe 1 or 2 miles from the airport. When that thing took off, my dad and I were screaming at each other from about 10 feet away and still couldn't hear each other.

Even at home, a distance of about 4 or 5 miles away, I could still hear that distant thunder and knew the SST was taking off.

One time, maybe a dozen years ago or so, for some reason they let the SST take off over land. 911 was flooded with calls, people thought a plane crashed. Stuff fell off their walls and tables. That was the one and only time, and it never happened again.

My mother was always bitter at Jimmy Carter over this issue. The one issue that had swung her away from Gerald Ford was the SST issue. Carter had said something like this about the SST: "If the people don't want it, they shouldn't have to live with it."

After elected, Carter of course did nothing to stop the SST. Even though the whole issue just sort of died away, for years afterwards whenever someone mentioned Carter, she always brought that up.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria5678 View Post
Maybe I can find some pics of old Rosedale on the internet somewhere.
The railroad websites I linked to have some interesting photos and maps of the old days.

This website is called "Forgotten New York." It is awesome. Follow this link to memories about old-time Rosedale:

rosedale (http://www.forgotten-ny.com/NEIGHBORHOODS/borderrosedale/rosedale.html - broken link)

Look at the old map of Rosedale from 1910!

You can see how much empty space there was. That was all farmland!
The streets had actual names, not numbers.

Somewhere in the huge NYC.gov website, you can order from the Municipal Tax Archives an old photo from their files of any NYC home from either the 1930s or 1940s when they did the property tax assessments. So for about $10, you can see what your home looked like once upon a time.

Here's a memory. Who recalls this house in Laurelton? I see it everyday when I'm on the LIRR going to work:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/27/ny...gewanted=print

Gothamist: The Most Haunted House of Queens

Old 06-19-2008, 10:25 AM

2 posts, read 12,320 times
Default 243 street

I think the store other than Bohacks was the A and P or The Met. It used to close at lunchtime. I remember mosr ice skating ing the park. I used to sail boats in that lake it was the best.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:48 AM

42 posts, read 239,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat L View Post
No i dont recall a Chinese take out on 225 th. I lived in Rosedale 1966 to 1986, might be before I remember, or I just dont recall. Was it across from Bohacks ??

There was a chinese restaurant on 228 street and 145 rd. There was a bunch of stores on 228 street. There was a deli and a pizza shop an eckerds and a italian restaurant and a grocery store and a laundrymat on the corner of 228 street and 147th avenue. I lived on 226 street and 145th avenue and my best friends father was in the mob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City