Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2008, 11:00 AM

42 posts, read 239,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheEss View Post
Does anyone else remember that tunnel in Rosedale that used to go under the Belt Parkway? It was a pedestrian underpass near Brookville Park?

It has been paved over for some time now.

I just want to reference this:

Cedarhurst Cutoff

There used to be a branch of the LIRR that cut off from the main line in Rosedale, that ran down Edgewood, through what is now Brookville Park, down to Cedarhurst. The website explains it very well.

That tunnel under the parkway always seemed weird to me. It started in a weird place and came up in a weird place.

Could it have been related to that old LIRR line?

Once upon a time the Rosedale Station was west of where it currently is, sort of near Edgewood & Conduit. Could the tunnel have been built to service the railroad customers? Otherwise, what purpose could it have served? Pedestrians could have walked to either 225th or Brookville Blvd to cross. Of all the places on the Belt Parkway to build a pedestrian underpass, that location seemed like the least useful.

And as I recall, it only went under the parkway, not the Conduit. So going from the southside to the northside, you came up in the middle of nowhere, and still had to cross the Conduit.

Why was the tunnel there?

There was an LIRR stop by Mentone Park and the people that lived near Brookville Park used to walk in the tunnel, I remember riding my bike down there a bunch of times when I would go to Mentone Park. Anybody remember Joe Conigliaro or Frank Demario, Bobby Bertha, Joe Pontillo, or Michael Magillo, some of these guys lived on the horseshoe on 227 street and 143 avenue. My name is Kevin Pratt I worked at Danny's Taxi for about 10 years playing my harmonica. I lived on 226 street and 145th avenue till 1986. At that time there were black guys riding around from Brooklyn looking to terrorize anybody especially white people. The neighborhood got really bad, there were two breakins right across from me in one night and my house was broken in a couple of times and my moms pocketbook robbed coming off of the bus at 225th and 147th avenue.

Last edited by Rockndaddy; 06-19-2008 at 11:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 11:56 AM

2 posts, read 12,319 times
Default Brownings

Lild, we called that store Brownies but I think it was Brownings's. The Burger n Shake building is still there but I think it is an optician's office.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by METMAN View Post
I grew up in Laurelton, but I lived and worked in Rosedale. I was one of DANNY'S Daredevils. Anyone remeber Town & Country -- topless Dancing off HCB?

Hey Man, I worked at Danny's too, my name is Kevin Pratt, I play harmonica, did you work under Pete the boss and Andy the dispatcher. Remember Ponce, and Lingus and Howard Teich and his brother they took over as owners.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockndaddy View Post
There was a chinese restaurant on 228 street and 145 rd. There was a bunch of stores on 228 street. There was a deli and a pizza shop an eckerds and a italian restaurant and a grocery store and a laundrymat on the corner of 228 street and 147th avenue. I lived on 226 street and 145th avenue and my best friends father was in the mob.

Are you thinking of 243rd Street in the town of Rosedale, I'm talking about east of Brookville Blvd. There wasn't any stores on 225th street just 228 street. I'm not sure what the name of the grocery store was it was located on 146 avenue and 228 street.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeavolio5 View Post
thanks joe for the kind words about my Dad...you helped us a lot when we were kids in the Babe Ruth League, remember ? Myself, Joe and Bobby LaRusso, plenty of others..especially with hitting...

No suprise you are still coaching..beleive it or not, I still play...I drive to the Island from Putnam Sundays during the summer to play fast pitch softball with Vin Gerbasio, John Ablamsky and my brothers Sam and Andy..we also have Eddie Coughlin from Rosedale on the team also...we started this team with all Rosedale guys back in 1986! Angelo Fusco, Frank Twomley, Herman Hernandez, my brother Anthony, all have played for us at various times...

Anthony coaches High School softball in florida..and i coach varsity at local High School also...

Awesome about that kid..i cant remember his name but I remember he was the nicest little kid..I think he lived by the park right?

Mike Avolio, that name sounds so familiar. When you named Angelo Fusco and Herman Hernandez I used to hang out with Herman all the time, I'm Kevin Pratt, played harmonica and drove for Danny's Taxi back in the late 1970's to mid early 1980's. I was wondering when someone was gonna name Fusco. LOL God, I used to be at Hermans everyday.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryshap View Post
Do you remember a Chinese delivery/takout place on 225st. The guy was allover the neighborhood, or the truck that came around in the 60s that sold Chinese food I think Chow Chow Cup...

The chinese place on 225 street was on merrick blvd.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:30 PM

Default You said you lived on 230 street and 147 avenue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom20349 View Post

You must have seen me bopping around the neighborhood, the white guy that played harmonica. Did you know Yuri the Haitian guy lived on I think 231 street and 147 rd or something like that. How about the Griffins, they lived on 230 place and 145 rd, or the Punches the lived right near the cleaners by the bus stop at 147 avenue and 228 street going to Jamaica. I guess it depends on how old you are?

Old 06-24-2008, 01:59 PM

33 posts, read 197,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockndaddy View Post
The chinese place on 225 street was on merrick blvd.

No I was thinking of the one on 228 st

Old 06-24-2008, 09:08 PM

33 posts, read 197,923 times
What years did the people in this blog hang out in Rosedale, and where did you hang out?

Old 06-25-2008, 09:19 AM

2 posts, read 12,014 times
Does anyone remember, Bettys lunchonettte, and the egg creams?
LeftWent to Springfield untill 1979,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City