Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 10:58 AM

12 posts, read 74,223 times

Advertisements

Jetscheerchick:
Does anyone remember the stage in one of the shoe areas of one of the department stores for kids? I loved buying shoes when I knew I was going to get to sit on the stage to get fitted and try on?

That was in Alexanders! I remember it too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 10:28 PM

42 posts, read 238,556 times
Drug Bust, Man Greenacres was getting pretty bad that they were selling drugs out of the Pizza place. I thought that only happened on Jamaica Avenue and Merrick Rd. LOL

Old 07-10-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsCheerChick View Post
OMG! Someone mentioned the block parties and I was thinking about when the radio stations would come out and give us freebies and then somehow they would rent a pool and the mini rides. It was amazing to have like three blocks shut down to accomodate us. Relay races, dance contests, games of tag, hopscotch, jumprope, double dutch, hoola hoops, big wheels, sit and spins, water balloon fights and grills going all day and night. And yeah back then we started with the eight track tapes and casettes were becoming big.
And then there used to be the petting zoo in GA Mall. I remember a baby goat ate my pants leg and I freaked out. I also remember for awhile that GA Mall tried to be politically correct by having a white Santa and one end and a black Santa at the other end. Same thing with a white and brown easter bunny. And the police on Horse back were more for the kids to pet then to actually patrol. They still have Santa but I think they have stopped trying so hard. The greatest new thing is Halloween, they have a show, police fingerprint, ID for the kids, coloring books, and the stores let the kids trick or treat. So no matter the weather or time you get off work there's usually plenty of activities going on. The cheer squad performed one year, and they've had magician's and clowns, face painting the works.
I don't remember Lolly but I hung around with various kids and sometimes you never got their names other times you knew them by first and last names. Some were cousins of a friend another kid was the kid from around the corner, the girl from the horseshoe, the boy from over by the school, the sisters who live at the corner or where ever. You didn't care who you played with some days as long as they played by the rules. Punch ball, high water law water, monkey in the middle and pop fly.
Pumpkin, Michael Parker, Chris, Leslie, Cy, Alvin Glymph, Jessica Ayala, Susan Chong, Keith, Karen, David Jackson, Mark, Patricia, Charise, Denise Stapleton. Most of those kids were 70's babies so we were there during the culture change. Someone mentioned being the only white kid in class at 231. I think when you're the minority it can be very hard. I also think you make the best friends then because just like with me I had some tried and true buddies sex nor color seemed to matter (Tracy, Vita, Helen, Rita, Patrick, Mario, Richie, John John, Laura, Vinny, Lisa, Jessica, Wayne) who were white who constantly stuck up for me and got me involved in the community when I was the only one of color and because of their acceptance I think others sort of got used to the idea of judging people more individually. I remember how nice the DeCurtis' were to me. Rich Sr. made me feel like a cheer princess and his wife was also grateful to my mom for the work she put in on maintaining our uniforms from one year to the next. I don't know how they felt behind closed doors but to my face they always treated me like I was no different then any other kid and that even meant reprimanding me and that couldn't have been an easy decision knowing me or my parents might have accused them of racism. But it was that way back then. Anyone's parents could catch you doing wrong and have you raking leaves, or shovelling snow or tell your parents.
The baby parking lot was just for strollers. LOL not the babies. And I remember having glass bottles of milk delivered when I was young. We had that metal box sitting on the porch and I was always getting yelled at for sitting on it (like I knew what it was for). Then the knife guy in the green truck came around to sharpen dull kitchen cutlery. again a relic from old days that was slowly transitioning out when I was growing up. But the paper boys were the big staple of the neighborhood.
And there were three churches in the parish and the other was St. Mary Magdalene. It's a beautiful small one room schoolhouse type church off of Springfield Blvd. a few blocks off of Merrick. They hold Palm Sunday mass out doors. The place is great.
I have to admit the more I read the happier I am that I stuck it out. The memories that have been jogged in my mind are so unbelievably vivid. I remember going into Woolworth while my mom went 'Pattern' shopping and I would hang out in the 'pet area'. And I could wander into the toy area of any store and my mom didn't have to worry about me. I could sit on the little base of the mannequin when I was tired and she'd find me right there when it was time to go. Does anyone remember the stage in one of the shoe areas of one of the department stores for kids? I loved buying shoes when I knew I was going to get to sit on the stage to get fitted and try on.
I'm sure everyone loves their neighborhood but man was Rosedale cool or what?

I went out with a Haitian girl that lived in a white house with black outline, there last name was Joseph, the father drove a yellow cab. I had to sneak around because the girl I was dating was their maid and I wasn't allowed in the house. We broke up because I felt like she was too uptight about going out with a white guy, when I would take her out she was frightened what people thought. It was on 143 and 230 street. If you were going from 145 avenue it was on the right side.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:41 PM

I used to always hang around the horseshoe when I was a kid, that is where we played stickball and touch football.

Last edited by Viralmd; 07-11-2008 at 07:15 AM.. Reason: Not a chat board

Old 07-15-2008, 06:44 PM

4 posts, read 32,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runsilentrundeep View Post
i lived on newhall ave 3 houses from corner of 241st
Could this possibly be a member of the Mullowney Clan?? I can't think who else was 3 houses in - on the other side of 241st going towards the park - it could be Eileen???

Old 07-15-2008, 07:02 PM

I lived on Huxley Street between Brookville Blvd and the crazy 5 corners. I have been sitting here for on hour reading all these posts from Rosedale - what a trip down memory lane.

I moved in 1986 to Pennsylvania and I was broken hearted and never thought I would ever get over moving away from my friends in Rosedale - Jeanne Henderson, June Mullowney, Barbara Gorman, Nancy Alvarez, Dina LaRocca, Deluca sisters, Jeanine LaGrecca, Maureen Rogers, Danielle Imbriani, Billy & George Hopkins, Mark Castellano, Angelo Reda, Angelo Coscia, Tommy Danetti, Ralph Divino, John Jordan, Linda Carfora, Lisa Carlucci, Angela Guilizia, Cynthia Pulio, Jennifer Fiorello, Mike Bale, Vinny Martin, and the biggest crush I ever had in my life... Frankie Dioguardi. I guess I could go on for hours writing down names. There were the groups at 195, 138 then of course the Newhall Crew that rotated all over between Newhall and 243rd, to the Pizza Place, St. Pius schoolyard, etc...

So now as an adult and a Mom with 3 boys - I understand why my parents moved us out of NY - I wonder all the time what my life would have been like if we never left. But I am ever so grateful that I got to spend 17 years in Rosedale - I have the best memories of my childhood.

I work for the US Air Force (since 1993)- I am a civilian employee but due to the career field I move around as much as the active duty. We have had some great assignments, Nebraska, Florida, Germany, South Korea, Okinawa, Japan, Washington DC and now San Antonio, Texas.

I was in Rosedale in 2004 - I drove my kids around, showed them as much as possible - my oldest son said "mom, you grew up in the ghetto?" I wanted to strangle him - our kids are so spoiled today, unfortunately because we move just about every 2 to 3 years my kids will never, ever understand the childhood I experienced.

I have some great pictures from the 80's - I'll pull them out this weekend and start posting them.

I was able to find a few people a few years ago (Barbara Gorman and Linda Carfora) but I was in South Korea then and I lost touch. I would love to hear from anyone, I would really like to find June Mullowney and Jeanne Henderson.

Cheers!
Jennifer Therriat-Caracciola

Old 07-15-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scotti's View Post
I actually worked at Len's in the mall. I think the owner's name was Phil. He always had the flames in the window from the grill 2 feet high. When I was a kid I thought it was cool, when I worked their I found out he was just bad on the grill....lol...Yes we didn't have much growing up but that's just the way those times were. the neighbors all new each other and we could play outside all summer long and nobody bothered us. Growing up Rosedale was something special. Never forget the blackout in 76 I think that was awsome....
My mom (Paula Caracciola) worked at Lens from 1970 to 1975 - I can still see her walking down Huxley Street to 243rd in her yellow waitress uniform. We would go at night with my Dad to pick her up and the place would be closed and they would give us ice-cream - I remember the restrooms were downstairs and remember the huge swordfish hanging on the wall??

Old 07-15-2008, 08:12 PM

12 posts, read 74,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Rosedale View Post
My mom (Paula Caracciola) worked at Lens from 1970 to 1975 - I can still see her walking down Huxley Street to 243rd in her yellow waitress uniform. We would go at night with my Dad to pick her up and the place would be closed and they would give us ice-cream - I remember the restrooms were downstairs and remember the huge swordfish hanging on the wall??

I know some of the names you mentioned but think you may be a little younger....I agree there is no way to describe to anyone the Rosedale upbringing and kids today will never have it....
It was a special place and miss the great times....
My friend worked at Lens in the early 80's for a little while as a waitress...they had the best onion rings!!!!!!

Old 07-17-2008, 07:58 AM

33 posts, read 197,399 times
Default Great Picture From Rosedale Many Years Ago

I actually found this picture on another site so I wont try to take credit for taking it. It is really one of the visions of growing up in Rosedale that is locked in my mind forever.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone From Rosedale, Queens?-over_all_view_of_brookville_south_lake___f.jpg  

Old 07-18-2008, 12:15 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,303,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryshap View Post
I actually found this picture on another site so I wont try to take credit for taking it. It is really one of the visions of growing up in Rosedale that is locked in my mind forever.
Brookville Park was a beautiful park back in the 60s... especially for ice skating. I used Twin Ponds for fishing. Carp, sunnies, goldfish, eels were my favorites to catch. The eels gave the best fight.

I'd use my mother's thread for a drop line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City