Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2008, 12:03 PM

33 posts, read 197,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
Brookville Park was a beautiful park back in the 60s... especially for ice skating. I used Twin Ponds for fishing. Carp, sunnies, goldfish, eels were my favorites to catch. The eels gave the best fight.

I'd use my mother's thread for a drop line.
Brookville park was great in the summer also wish I had a picture of everyone fishing. They sold drop lnes in the boat house I think for 15 cents or something all you needed was bread...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 09:56 PM

33 posts, read 197,929 times
What they are saying about Rosedale these days, if you are from Rosedale you must see this.

YouTube - QUEEN GIFTED - "The Mobz"

Old 08-04-2008, 07:30 AM

675 posts, read 1,255,883 times
Rosedale aka Mobzdale, LOTS of West Indians in the neighborhood especially Jamaicans. Summer time on the weekends you will know when you hear that dancehall and calypso blasting out from people backyards and car stereos non stop. Very residential, no apartment complexes but alot of illegal basement renting and families doubling up so in the sense each of those two family houses you see actually got about 4 families. Homes are well kept, the mexicans take care of most people lawns and the streets quiet for the most part. The section of Rosedale between Sunrise Hwy and Merrick Blvd is the quiet part. South of Sunrise Hwy is also quiet but do have some low level thugs (and a couple of REAL shooters) lurking in the shadows of those leafy middle class blocks. You won't catch it at first unless you stay out here for some time and start hearing those bullets ringing out at night time. Brookfield Park has turned around for the better in recent years and you actually see family reunions out there which is nice. The part of Rosedale between Junior High School 231 up to Brookfield Park used to be the dominate 'black area' when the whites were still around (some mostly older ones have remain but keep a pretty low profile and stay indoors for the most part) and in the mid to late 90's was getting a bit shady (Conduit & 144, 228 st) but things have quiet down in recent years. The main strip is 243rd (aka Town) which at times seems like its about to turn into a drug strip but the Jake (police) keep things from getting out of hand. You have a mix of residents from other hoods like Far Rockaway, parts of Brooklyn and 'fresh off the boat' west indians all in one spot. Transportation is not a positive since you have to catch the Q85 or the 113 to the Ave to get on a train or if you got bread you can take the LIRR. Can't forget the dollar vans as well. Overall a nice neighborhood, come thru

Old 08-05-2008, 05:24 AM

42 posts, read 239,180 times
You mean there not dealing drugs on 228 street and 145 rd anymore by those stores. They used to be there all the time. I used to live on 226 and 145 ave and the cops would take money off the drug dealers as a payment and then let them stay there as long as they paid up.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:09 PM

675 posts, read 1,255,883 times
Nah that strip has been dead for a long time now, your talking about since the mid 90's. There are new houses built next to what used to be the empty lot which is good but the Associates grocery store is closed now and its just sitting there looking like a piece of crap

Old 08-06-2008, 06:03 AM

What about that little Jamaican store the corner store on 228th street it is the first store from 145 ave. that sold cigarettes and beer and beef patties. Wow, I can't believe everything closed up. I left to go to East Rockaway in 1986 but I used to go back until I left for Florida 1n 1992. My friend and I Wendell were in Brookville park around 1985 and 3 guys from Brooklyn hit me over the head with a bottle and started throwing punches while we were sitting watching the football game. We went back out and met at the horseshoe and then they came back out of there car and we ran off but I came back out with a knife looking for them. Man, I was so pissed I was gonna bring somebody down with me. Good thing I never found them again. LOL I would have either been in jail or killed myself.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:28 AM

2 posts, read 11,796 times
Does anyone know where "tusan" is?

Old 08-06-2008, 11:31 AM

2 posts, read 11,796 times
I GREW UP IN ROSEDALE SINCE 1962 TILL 1983 . DOES ANYONE KNOW THE GANG THAT HUNG OUT AT THE McDONALDS ON MERRICK RD.?

Old 08-06-2008, 05:00 PM

R U talking about the one by Rosedale Lanes?

Old 08-06-2008, 09:19 PM

22 posts, read 73,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria5678 View Post
I made my first communion at St. Clare's and got married there in 1978. What a beautiful church. Not like St. Pius (sorry to those who went there) although my son was baptised at St. Pius and my daughter made her first communion there. But there was nothing like St. Clare's. I didn't go to school there but I remember hearing about a Sister Agnus who used to hit the kids with a paddle in the sixties. Can anyone tell me if that was really true? I have older cousins who went to catholic school (in brooklyn) and said the nuns were brutal back then. Does anyone remember Father Joe at St. Pius? Young guy who brought young kids back to mass. He was pretty cool but I heard he is not a priest anymore. Any, by the way, California Pizza was delicious! So light, you could eat about 5 slices. You would sit at the counter on the stools that could spin around. I had a friend that used to work there. Yum!! J&S was (and I hear still is) really good. More spicy than California Pizza. I don't ever remember mothers leaving their babies alone outside the stores in the mall. But I do remember the huge Santa Claus statue that was put up every Christmas by Green Acres Bowling Alley (He was juggling balls). Other Christmas decorations were put on top of coverings of the mall walkways before the mall was enclosed. The pretzel lady was the BEST! You're right, they were 3 for 25 cents. What a bargain! There was a store called Lane's and then it changed to Love's, then Gertz, than Korvette's I think. I could be wrong about that. That's going way back. After H.S. I used to work at the airport too, Schenkers Intl. Fdwrs.
My family moved to Edgewood Avenue just off South Conduit in 1952. I spent 8 years at St. Clares between 1957 and 1965. Sister Agnes Roberta was in charge of the school crossing guards and hall monitors. She dispensed discipline if you were caught doing something wrong with a paddle that had "Board of Education" printed on it. I wouldn't say the nuns were brutal but they wouldn't hesitate to smack you if they thought you deserved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City