Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2008, 11:49 AM

3,301 posts, read 6,326,110 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember Rose's Candy Store and Tom's Deli just north of Sunrise on Hook Creek? WE hungout there for years.

It was a sad day, when they converted Rose's Candy Store into an apartment. We used to play Johnny Rides the Pony at 2am across the street and A's Up...
Jack Cunningham ProudCapMarine@earthlink.net
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 11:54 AM

3,301 posts, read 6,326,110 times
Does anyone remember Curly Glenn from north of Hook Creek and Pals or Vans bar?

Old 08-14-2008, 10:31 PM

42 posts, read 239,216 times
Yea, I remember Pals being I worked at Dannys Cabs most of the cab drivers would go in there at somepoint to hangout. I don't remember Cury Glenn.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:52 AM

42 posts, read 239,216 times
Mr. Softee

That weird guy that used to Man the Softee Truck that rode around in the 60's and I guess the 70's. I heard that guy that looked something like Wolfman Jack was arrested for molesting children does anybody know if that is true. My mom always told us kids to be careful around this guy, actually when we bought ice cream from him in front of our houses mothers always came out to check on this guy. I don't think people trusted him, he looked like the prototypical child molester.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:10 AM

21 posts, read 138,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
Does anyone remember Rose's Candy Store and Tom's Deli just north of Sunrise on Hook Creek? WE hungout there for years.
Yes, those were great days. Used to buy my baseball cards at Tom's. They used to have the box of 30 cards for 25 cents, and the cool thing was you could always see the top card before you bought the box. So you'd go digging through all the boxes to find the one with the best visible card.

Kids today will never know the charm of buying baseball cards and comic books just for the *FUN* of it, not as some kind of investment. Speaking of which, where did you Rosedalians buy your comic books? Did you also take the bike ride to Barry's in Valley Stream?

Tom had a pile of penny candies and one of those big jars full of pretzel rods.

I don't know why, we never went into Rose's as much. Rose's was better for buying a Spalding, wax lips, capgun caps, etc. I think.

I remember when I was a real wee lad, there was another deli on the further corner from Tom's, which was made into an apartment. The other deli was a German one run by an old German couple, and Tom's was the Italian one. Rose's candy store was smack dab in the middle.

I still remember goofing on Tom because he wrote on his soda cooler in magic marker. He must have been trying to write the plural of "Pepsi" or something. He wound up writing "Pepis".

Tom passed away suddenly in about 1978 IIRC. His son was a nice guy too and carried on the business for a while.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:04 PM

1 posts, read 4,767 times
Unhappy Wow i remember rosedale!!!how could i forget

To the one's that read this take it as a learning experience because what I'am about to tell you is deep.Its all about Rosedale queens I grew up in laurelton but not very far from Rosedale and all i could remember is that Rosedale was very racist.in fact laurelton was not very friendly either
we were one of the first black families to move to laurelton when at the time was a white and mostly jewish community.Iwas young at the time and being young you don't really understand the difference between white and black hell don't even really have a state of mine.but theirs one thing in my mine that i will never forget as long as I live and that is the rascism that went on in Rosedale.their was a Bridge on Merrick that at one time you did'nt want to cross because once you crossed that bridge you was at your own risk.I remember walking to Valley stream in fear going through a neighborhood were grown adults would come out of their homes and say *****!! what are you doing in our neighborhood they would be so mad that they would jump in thier cars and chase us out the neighborhood and if they caught you they would surround you and beat you with bats and sticks.at that time blacks and whites did'nt get along thank god things have gotten better but we still have a long way to go.and as for J&S pizza across from the use to be bowling alley their still there and still good
They call me Goo back in days now by way of Atlanta.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:09 PM

4 posts, read 32,714 times
I grew up in Rosedale - '69 to 87 I have always told my kids how cool it was, and what great memories I have of Rosedale - but those videos literally broke my heart - what the hell is Mobzdale??? Is that really the way Rosedale is known now??

Old 08-22-2008, 09:41 PM

12 posts, read 74,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Rosedale View Post
I grew up in Rosedale - '69 to 87 I have always told my kids how cool it was, and what great memories I have of Rosedale - but those videos literally broke my heart - what the hell is Mobzdale??? Is that really the way Rosedale is known now??
I feel the same exact way...that is not the Rosedale we all knew and loved...What a shame.

I Lived in Rosedale my whole life. (66-93) After I got married we lived in the upstairs apartment until one night I came home and saw what was hanging around on the corner. The very next weekend my husband and I went out house hunting. It broke my heart to leave.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:00 PM

15 posts, read 68,613 times
I have many fond memories of Rosedale.

138 Memories:
I remember
The handball courts in the playground.
The spring dances that were held in the playground.
Assemblies every Friday where you had to wear red, white and blue and sing patriotic songs.
Glee Club
All the plays that were performed at the assemblies.
I remember a man came with his performing chimp "Mr. Chips" at an assembly.
Mrs. Mayer, the science teacher, and how everyone was so scared of her. You could only bring a pencil into her class. She would always yell.
I remember those wire, dark staircases in the school.
I remember all the copies of famous paintings that lined the halls.
I remember the bake, plant and used book sales.
The gym was on the 2nd floor and it seemed huge.
The office was also on the 2nd floor with its mimograph machine in constant use.
Mrs. Dooley, the principal and Mr. Sonnenburg the asst.
The teachers' strike and during that time having to go to class in one of the Rosedale churches.
I remember art class, a teacher who taught us sewing and another teacher who taught us about nutrition (I believe these classes were stopped as a result of budget cuts).
The wooden desks that had ink wells and the tops lifted up (so you could store your supplies in the desk).
School savings account

I remember Green Acres
The Blum short cut.
The mall before it was enclosed.
The stores that served food like Alexanders and Woolworths.
Steak Pub
The Deli
The department store that had a pet store in the basement.
The Dime Savings Bank, that bank was huge by today's standards.
Green Acres Bowling Alley
I remember the Green Acres Movie House and seeing Jaws, Airport and other movies there.
It was always a big deal as a kid to go with your family to the Drive In and getting snacks in the concession stand.

I also remember
Spending countless hours riding my bike with my friends all through Rosedale.
Going to town, Brookeville Park and skating on the pond in the winter.
The St. Pius Bazaars were so much fun!
Riding the city bus to and from 231 and when one person would act up on the bus, the driver would kick us all off and we would have to walk home.

I have so many more fond memories of Rosedale.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:44 AM

7 posts, read 44,026 times
I went to P.S. 138. Oh gosh , I don't remember what years it was. I had Mrs. Fry for Kind. Mrs. Keller for 1st grade. Mrs. Blessinger for 2nd (she was my favorite teacher of all time, it was her first year as a teacher and I think she was only there for a year or two) Mrs. Polikoff for 3rd. Mrs. Lang for 4th ( I believe she became asst principal later on). Mrs. Meyer was my fifth grade teacher, and Mr. Reynolds was my sixth grade teacher. I just loved that building with the big wooden doors on each classroom. Those were really the days. I lived around the corner from the school and I used to walk. I was able to see my house through the yard of the house across the street from the school, so when I got to the entrance of the schoolyard I would wave to my mom who would be waiting at the window. I would walk home for lunch everyday and she would make me Campells Vegetable soup and a sandwich. Wow, has the world changed. Too fast if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS138Girl View Post
I have many fond memories of Rosedale.

138 Memories:
I remember
The handball courts in the playground.
The spring dances that were held in the playground.
Assemblies every Friday where you had to wear red, white and blue and sing patriotic songs.
Glee Club
All the plays that were performed at the assemblies.
I remember a man came with his performing chimp "Mr. Chips" at an assembly.
Mrs. Mayer, the science teacher, and how everyone was so scared of her. You could only bring a pencil into her class. She would always yell.
I remember those wire, dark staircases in the school.
I remember all the copies of famous paintings that lined the halls.
I remember the bake, plant and used book sales.
The gym was on the 2nd floor and it seemed huge.
The office was also on the 2nd floor with its mimograph machine in constant use.
Mrs. Dooley, the principal and Mr. Sonnenburg the asst.
The teachers' strike and during that time having to go to class in one of the Rosedale churches.
I remember art class, a teacher who taught us sewing and another teacher who taught us about nutrition (I believe these classes were stopped as a result of budget cuts).
The wooden desks that had ink wells and the tops lifted up (so you could store your supplies in the desk).
School savings account

I remember Green Acres
The Blum short cut.
The mall before it was enclosed.
The stores that served food like Alexanders and Woolworths.
Steak Pub
The Deli
The department store that had a pet store in the basement.
The Dime Savings Bank, that bank was huge by today's standards.
Green Acres Bowling Alley
I remember the Green Acres Movie House and seeing Jaws, Airport and other movies there.
It was always a big deal as a kid to go with your family to the Drive In and getting snacks in the concession stand.

I also remember
Spending countless hours riding my bike with my friends all through Rosedale.
Going to town, Brookeville Park and skating on the pond in the winter.
The St. Pius Bazaars were so much fun!
Riding the city bus to and from 231 and when one person would act up on the bus, the driver would kick us all off and we would have to walk home.

I have so many more fond memories of Rosedale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City