Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2008, 11:14 AM

675 posts, read 1,251,344 times

Advertisements

If anyone want to sample a taste of what Rosedale is like in 2008 come out to Brookville Park today for the neighborhood appreciation day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 02:00 PM

33 posts, read 197,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willowthree View Post
I went to P.S. 138. Oh gosh , I don't remember what years it was. I had Mrs. Fry for Kind. Mrs. Keller for 1st grade. Mrs. Blessinger for 2nd (she was my favorite teacher of all time, it was her first year as a teacher and I think she was only there for a year or two) Mrs. Polikoff for 3rd. Mrs. Lang for 4th ( I believe she became asst principal later on). Mrs. Meyer was my fifth grade teacher, and Mr. Reynolds was my sixth grade teacher. I just loved that building with the big wooden doors on each classroom. Those were really the days. I lived around the corner from the school and I used to walk. I was able to see my house through the yard of the house across the street from the school, so when I got to the entrance of the schoolyard I would wave to my mom who would be waiting at the window. I would walk home for lunch everyday and she would make me Campells Vegetable soup and a sandwich. Wow, has the world changed. Too fast if you ask me.

I had Mrs. Fry for Kindergarten, The only thing I remember was May Day. She got out the May Poll and made us dance around it. Did you have the feeling she was a was a Communist?

Old 08-25-2008, 08:59 PM

7 posts, read 43,937 times
No, I never really thought about her being a communist. But, then again I was only six years old. All I remember was her gray hair and her yelling out the window to the kids in the playground to be quiet bc we were resting inside. I wonder if we were in the same class. I guess it was maybe 1963?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryshap View Post
I had Mrs. Fry for Kindergarten, The only thing I remember was May Day. She got out the May Poll and made us dance around it. Did you have the feeling she was a was a Communist?

Old 08-26-2008, 12:15 AM

3,301 posts, read 6,307,718 times
Does anyone, who attended St Clare's, remember their days in the school? I graduated in 1965. (Just a few years ago.)

Old 08-26-2008, 12:28 AM

3,301 posts, read 6,307,718 times
Rosedale's history dates back to before the American Revolution. It was called Foster Meadows.

A big piece of it's history took place at the southeast corner of Brookville Park. It was where a British officer killed a Foster Meadow's Minutemen leader.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowthree View Post
No, I never really thought about her being a communist. But, then again I was only six years old. All I remember was her gray hair and her yelling out the window to the kids in the playground to be quiet bc we were resting inside. I wonder if we were in the same class. I guess it was maybe 1963?

I had her in 1960, only remember the May Pole...

Old 08-26-2008, 07:37 PM

22 posts, read 72,797 times
I had Mrs. Fry in kindergarten back in 1956. I don't remember anything about her. I then went to St Clare's and Christ the King High School, graduated in 1969. I hung out at Burger n Shake in the late '60's. There was a strip of trees behind Blum where we used to drink beer and then either go to Green Acres or hop the drive in fence and watch the movie till the security guard would kick us out. I think Steak Pub was originally a Steak and Brew.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF1974 View Post
I had Mrs. Fry in kindergarten back in 1956. I don't remember anything about her. I then went to St Clare's and Christ the King High School, graduated in 1969. I hung out at Burger n Shake in the late '60's. There was a strip of trees behind Blum where we used to drink beer and then either go to Green Acres or hop the drive in fence and watch the movie till the security guard would kick us out. I think Steak Pub was originally a Steak and Brew.

I remember the Steak Pub being the original to that building. It was an up scale restaurant, Then it started changing in the to other things. I used to jump the fence to the drive inn all the time. Remember the Pizza at the concession stand?

Old 08-28-2008, 11:28 AM

22 posts, read 131,456 times
Default Pet Dept in basement

The store with the Pet Dept in basement was Newberrys. They also had a small arcade in basement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS138Girl View Post
I have many fond memories of Rosedale.

138 Memories:
I remember
The handball courts in the playground.
The spring dances that were held in the playground.
Assemblies every Friday where you had to wear red, white and blue and sing patriotic songs.
Glee Club
All the plays that were performed at the assemblies.
I remember a man came with his performing chimp "Mr. Chips" at an assembly.
Mrs. Mayer, the science teacher, and how everyone was so scared of her. You could only bring a pencil into her class. She would always yell.
I remember those wire, dark staircases in the school.
I remember all the copies of famous paintings that lined the halls.
I remember the bake, plant and used book sales.
The gym was on the 2nd floor and it seemed huge.
The office was also on the 2nd floor with its mimograph machine in constant use.
Mrs. Dooley, the principal and Mr. Sonnenburg the asst.
The teachers' strike and during that time having to go to class in one of the Rosedale churches.
I remember art class, a teacher who taught us sewing and another teacher who taught us about nutrition (I believe these classes were stopped as a result of budget cuts).
The wooden desks that had ink wells and the tops lifted up (so you could store your supplies in the desk).
School savings account

I remember Green Acres
The Blum short cut.
The mall before it was enclosed.
The stores that served food like Alexanders and Woolworths.
Steak Pub
The Deli
The department store that had a pet store in the basement.
The Dime Savings Bank, that bank was huge by today's standards.
Green Acres Bowling Alley
I remember the Green Acres Movie House and seeing Jaws, Airport and other movies there.
It was always a big deal as a kid to go with your family to the Drive In and getting snacks in the concession stand.

I also remember
Spending countless hours riding my bike with my friends all through Rosedale.
Going to town, Brookeville Park and skating on the pond in the winter.
The St. Pius Bazaars were so much fun!
Riding the city bus to and from 231 and when one person would act up on the bus, the driver would kick us all off and we would have to walk home.

I have so many more fond memories of Rosedale.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:41 PM

15 posts, read 68,459 times
Has anybody gone back to Rosedale? How do you think it looks?

I was there recently, and was pleased to see how nice it looked. The homes and lawns looked as manicured as when I lived there so many years ago. The new homes that they have built have blended in with the exisiting homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City