Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2008, 11:11 AM

2 posts, read 8,398 times

Advertisements

I'm happy to find this forum. I am working on a documentary about rosedale & all the info from before my time is vital to me.

I lived in rosedale from 1978 -1998. I lived on 147 & brookville. (147-23 brookville)
Right across from Avanti which was owned by Sal & his son Johnny. (now Stop1)Those were my good friends. Sal used to call me pencil head because I had a Flat-top style hair cut!
But yes I remember alot that some of you had brought up.

I was one of the few Black families on that side of rosedale & i've seen my share of differences that Sal & Johnnie faced but they held down their own fort. Very good people I must add.

I Played for the Rosedale Jets & Andy Papandrew was my coach. Me & his son Andy were power hitters! I also remeber the Championship I still have my Championship Jersey! I also played on almost every team on the Baseball little league.
Remember the Club House on Francis Lewis? The pizza parties! You had to love the Rosedal Sports association. Rosedale was a great place!

Yep I remember fishing in brookville park catching crab with homemade fishing poles!
I remember Ice skating althouh i never skated myself! I heard there were dead bodies in there & there was quick sand in the lake! Child Rumors! lol

The beams by the gully, Yes! I could walk across them or sit & push across w/ my hands! we used to ride our bikes up the ramp! Or just jump across that stream that had leeches in them! wow the memories!

Oh the hill behind the football field by the tennis court! we used that the slide down in the snow!

Who remembers the Boat house was burned for years!

I use to have to run around the lake for footbal practice!

I went to St. Pius x from k - 6th grade, Ms. Mongelli was my favorite teacher! She used to drench herself in perfume & kiss you with her lipstick staining your cheek!

Then went to Tri Community 231, Then Springfield Gardens H.S

Yes even I can say that the neighborhood has definatly changed since many of you left. There was a time when in town, people would preach in front of the post office with a microphone.
Remember the bakery in town! My dad bought fresh bagels every Saturday!

The only two places that are still in town from back then is the library & key Food.
Remember Ables? I used to fix my flats there for my bike!

Cards & gifts is now a 24hr store. Remember there was Cards & Gifts & then there was bambi's Cards & Gifts!

And if you know Sons Of Italy then you remember the gambling inside during the fair in the parking lot! also the Over & Under Tables! Aw man and the zepole! 6 for a $1
I lived right there in front of Sal's (AvantI) It was Paradise!

I used to walk to the mall all the time! through the whole by hook creek! instead of walbaum's theres a walmart there now.

I used to work at the Red lobster of of Sunrise HWY.
We used to walk to woodmere & sneek in the pool at night!
We used to walk all the way to Laces Roller skating Rink about 10 of us & walk back!

I have memories for days & im hoping I can gather enough info from before my time so I can put this documentary together.

Well times have changed & the majority of the residence are black. No theres no more preaching going on but you will see police walking a beat trying to control the loitering. Some would say the place went down since all the multi family homes have been put up. Some say its beautiful because many homes have been remodeled. I still go there although I now live in Florida. I still have many many friends that still live there so I have current pictures. If you had good memories of this place, then hold on to them.

If you have any memories, Ideas or input, feel free to reach out to me. I would really like to show how the neighborhood was before I moved there, to when I moved there, to when i moved out, to now. My project is an Urban documentary with respect to those who were settled there before my time. basically I'm trying to show how times have changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 11:15 AM

42 posts, read 239,275 times
You are right about the place at Rockaway Ave in Valley Stream being a Roy Rogers, best chicken nuggets, great chicken, and yes the Mcdonalds on Brookville and Merrick Rd., When I worked for Danny's I would shot in there and sometimes the girls would load me up with a bunch of free burgers/fries and Macs and then sometimes get a call, man I would sling the people in the cab around and they would always be yelling could u slow down, I would look down at my mcdonalds and keep flying. Roy Rogers and Hardees are related they have one in Tallahassee a Hardee's that is that is just like Roy Rogers of course I was on my way to Biloxi to gamble. Pretty sure Burger and Shake used to be a Wetson's for a little while at that place.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:19 AM

2 posts, read 8,398 times
Cool Rosedale has History

I'm happy to find this forum. I am working on a documentary about rosedale & all the info from before my time is vital to me.

I lived in rosedale from 1978 -1998. I lived on 147 & brookville. (147-23 brookville)
Right across from Avanti which was owned by Sal & his son Johnny. (now Stop1)Those were my good friends. Sal used to call me pencil head because I had a Flat-top style hair cut!
But yes I remember alot that some of you had brought up.

I was one of the few Black families on that side of rosedale & i've seen my share of differences that Sal & Johnnie faced but they held down their own fort. Very good people I must add.

I Played for the Rosedale Jets & Andy Papandrew was my coach. Me & his son Andy were power hitters! I also remeber the Championship I still have my Championship Jersey! I also played on almost every team on the Baseball little league.
Remember the Club House on Francis Lewis? The pizza parties! You had to love the Rosedal Sports association. Rosedale was a great place!

Yep I remember fishing in brookville park catching crab with homemade fishing poles!
I remember Ice skating althouh i never skated myself! I heard there were dead bodies in there & there was quick sand in the lake! Child Rumors! lol

The beams by the gully, Yes! I could walk across them or sit & push across w/ my hands! we used to ride our bikes up the ramp! Or just jump across that stream that had leeches in them! wow the memories!

Oh the hill behind the football field by the tennis court! we used that the slide down in the snow!

Who remembers the Boat house was burned for years!

I use to have to run around the lake for footbal practice!

I went to St. Pius x from k - 6th grade, Ms. Mongelli was my favorite teacher! She used to drench herself in perfume & kiss you with her lipstick staining your cheek!

Then went to Tri Community 231, Then Springfield Gardens H.S

Yes even I can say that the neighborhood has definatly changed since many of you left. There was a time when in town, people would preach in front of the post office with a microphone.
Remember the bakery in town! My dad bought fresh bagels every Saturday!

The only two places that are still in town from back then is the library & key Food.
Remember Ables? I used to fix my flats there for my bike!

Cards & gifts is now a 24hr store. Remember there was Cards & Gifts & then there was bambi's Cards & Gifts!

And if you know Sons Of Italy then you remember the gambling inside during the fair in the parking lot! also the Over & Under Tables! Aw man and the zepole! 6 for a $1
I lived right there in front of Sal's (AvantI) It was Paradise!

I used to walk to the mall all the time! through the whole by hook creek! instead of walbaum's theres a walmart there now.

I used to work at the Red lobster of of Sunrise HWY.
We used to walk to woodmere & sneek in the pool at night!
We used to walk all the way to Laces Roller skating Rink about 10 of us & walk back!

I have memories for days & im hoping I can gather enough info from before my time so I can put this documentary together.

Well times have changed & the majority of the residence are black. No theres no more preaching going on but you will see police walking a beat trying to control the loitering. Some would say the place went down since all the multi family homes have been put up. Some say its beautiful because many homes have been remodeled. I still go there although I now live in Florida. I still have many many friends that still live there so I have current pictures. If you had good memories of this place, then hold on to them.

If you have any memories, Ideas or input, feel free to reach out to me. I would really like to show how the neighborhood was before I moved there, to when I moved there, to when i moved out, to now. My project is an Urban documentary with respect to those who were settled there before my time. basically I'm trying to show how times have changed.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:52 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,329,358 times
Burger & Shake was on Sunrise and Hook Creek. I worked there two weeks. The manager was an arse.

I loved the free meal each day for working there though. The shakes were great.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:20 PM

In around 1938, my parents moved to Rosedale from Bay Ridge. They rented a house on Mayda Road. At the time, my father had been on the NYPD for about 10 years. (There were many families living in Rosedale, whose father worked for the city. Many cops and firemen.)
The following year, my parents bought a house at 243-08-137 Ave (near St. Clare's).

I came into the picture in 1950. (The 7th of seven kids.) I remember, the horses back near the swampy areas of Hook Creek. In the 1950's, there were much swamp lands south of 147. That area started getting built around 1960.

I remember, when Green Acres was being built. It was just two rows of stores. I liked hanging out there as a teenager. After Green Acres, we moved to the bowling alley across the parking lot.

Rosedale was a great place to grow up. A lot of great families.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:25 PM

Default Rosedale has History

Rosedale is still a beautiful area. This pass Memorial Day, I was down there for the 40th aniversary of the Rosedale Vietnam Veteran Memorial. The Rosedale Memorial is the 2nd oldest Vietnam vet memorial in America.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
Rosedale is still a beautiful area. This pass Memorial Day, I was down there for the 40th aniversary of the Rosedale Vietnam Veteran Memorial. The Rosedale Memorial is the 2nd oldest Vietnam vet memorial in America.

Where is the #1 Vietnam Memorial? Just curious?

Old 09-04-2008, 05:33 PM

7 posts, read 44,042 times
I miss having a stoop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS138Girl View Post
Does anybody remember the Donut Truck (in the fall they would also sell candy apples)? I also remember the Good Humor Truck with the guy ringing his bell. There was also the Mr. Softee truck (I remember getting an ice cream cone that looked like Mickey Mouse) and the blade sharpener truck. I remember having a metal cooler on my stoop for the dairy to drop off milk and selzer.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:54 PM

15 posts, read 68,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willowthree View Post
I miss having a stoop.
Me too!

Old 09-06-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockndaddy View Post
Where is the #1 Vietnam Memorial? Just curious?
Found Out that the oldest Vietnam Veteran Memorial in the U.S. is in Washington D.C. Who would have thought that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City