Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2008, 07:43 AM

78 posts, read 316,151 times

Advertisements

Been back lately? It's Mod cut . Still a few nice homes but garbage strewn everywhere and drug dealers at every corner. My nephew works in the area.

Last edited by Viralmd; 11-17-2008 at 05:55 AM.. Reason: Language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 05:36 AM

5 posts, read 15,987 times
I lived off 149 and 257th, between 71 and 76. Great neighborhood. We used to go crabbing in the creek. Went to St. Pius. Best memories were the block parties

Old 11-13-2008, 01:02 PM

1 posts, read 5,217 times
i remember mannys i use to spend the money my mom gave me for church on candy every week. i remember when manny's burnt down i still have some comic books that i took after the fire some are burnt a little

Old 11-17-2008, 04:55 AM

78 posts, read 316,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
I heard about this neighborhood a few years ago. I'm young and recently I've been interested in places where my family comes from. Although I did not have any family that grew up in Rosedale (that I know of), the areas in which my father n other family members grew up sound a lot like the way you folks describe Rosedale in the late 60's early 70's. I think it sounds really nice and I like all of your little stories. My dad grew up in your generation. My family is of Italian decent and I am ever interested in the legacy that my fellow hard-working Italians built in this country. I heard Rosedale, which was formely Irish and Italian, now has a lot of Afro-Carribean influence. I'm seeing now a lot of neighborhoods that were built by hard-working Italians and are now taken over by other cultures. The legacies my people built now lay in ruins. I see it all the time here in Jersey. In 5-10 years I will have my own children and I want to raise them in a nice place and I want them to be surrounded by their own hard-working paisans. Any comments or suggestions? If you can, post about any nice Italian-American neighborhoods and towns.
Well, you definitely don't want rosedale. Staten island still has what you're looking for. I was born and raised in bensonhurst. It has changed but is still a good neighborhood. It's amaxing how fast neighborhoods like rosedale changed. I remember when canarsie was also a great neighborhood.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:41 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italian23 View Post
The blacks trashed that area years ago. I think the rapper 50 cent is from that area. That should tell you enough.
Rosedale =/= Jamaica

Old 11-24-2008, 12:09 AM

1 posts, read 4,995 times
Red face Rosedale - Late 60's to '77

I lived in Rosedale until I turned 13. I went to P.S. 138 from '69-'76. Wow , great times. Here are some things I remember:

-Good Humor Ice Cream Truck. I can hear the bells now. Eugene was the ice-cream man, he wore that little metal coin changer around his waist. I can also remember Mister Softee. (Preferred Good Humor)
-Playing Little League Baseball in Brookville Park. Sometimes on an field that wasn't made for baseball. I remember the field on the JFK side across the street from the park.
-Picnics with my mother and sisters in Brookville Park. (late '60's)
-Walking to Green Acres and going behind the Drive-In Movie Theater. There was that small dirt passageway behind the rear metal wall in the back of the movie theater parking lot. There were areas along the way where the metal wall was bent open on the bottom so you could sneak in or watch a movie from back there.
-Bowling on Saturday mornings at the Green Acres Lanes. Game room downstairs. (Pinball)
-Playing handball all the time in the P.S. 138 schoolyard.
-Parades on holidays going past my house on 147th Ave.
-Fourth of July Fireworks.
-The Bazaar every June in the back of St. Pius.
-Wonderful teachers in P.S. 138. Walking home for lunch. In the winter, through the snow.
-Hanging out with tons of friends on the side street and playing football, baseball, kickball and of course, Ring-O-Leveo. (I don't know how it's spelled)
-243rd Street. The candy store on the corner. The Pizza Place across the street. The bakery next to the candy store... The post office down the street, and the library. One of my first remembrances of life is in that library, being read to in a circle.
-The hardware store and the bike repair guy 1 block off 243rd.

I can go on and on all day. It was another lifetime ago, but feels like yesterday. I've lived in Florida over 30 years now but always think about my life in Rosedale and smile...

Old 11-24-2008, 05:00 AM

22 posts, read 131,766 times
Default Rosedale Sports Association

Anybody remember the pre season medical exam and uniform distribution in the hall across from St. Clares ? You used to run around from station to station getting a physical exam and then they would give you your uniform for the year. Could you imagine if they did something like that today ? Young boys running around a building dressed only in their underwear as staff (I doubt they were all real doctors) conducted exams ! Not a good idea now, probably not a good idea then either.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:00 PM

1 posts, read 4,874 times
Hi Everyone,Rosedale was the best lived there for 37 years ,my brothers and I had a great time lots of friends and could go o ut at night ,we lived across from the park on weller ave and went to St.Claires. Anyone remember the bowling alley in Green Acres with the arcade downstairs. 2 funny HOW THIS SMALL TOWN CHANGED .I miss it but go back and visit when in New York.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:15 PM

2 posts, read 9,283 times
I enjoyed reading all the memories on here! Does anyone remember the concert in the park with all the local bands? It was an all day thing.

FABELLA'S COUSIN

Old 12-10-2008, 06:10 PM

8 posts, read 34,004 times
Default message for Marty F

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyF View Post
Yes, Marty's Market.
That was my grandfather, and my father, also named Marty worked there for many years. I lived upstairs from the butcher shop when I was a kid, we moved out to Nassau County when I was 5, but my father continued to work in the butcher shop for quite a few years after that.
The shop and row of stores - including a place named "Betty's" which was right next store to the butcher shop - was sold to another guy in the 1980's.
My dad switched careers at some point in the late 1970's, and my Grandfather died in 2004 after a long fight with cancer.
I've not been back to Rosedale for over 25 years. Last time I was there, it was a mess

Thanks for remembering my grandfather's shop.
Hey Marty..your grandfather gave me my first job in 1972 cleaning the butcher shop on sat afternoons. He was a great man. My uncle Tom worked there for years. After a few years i started making deliveries for Marty's...I knew your Dad and your uncles Jimmy and Tommy. How is your dad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City