Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2009, 06:43 PM

40 posts, read 173,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by METMAN View Post
I grew up in Laurelton, but I lived and worked in Rosedale. I was one of DANNY'S Daredevils. Anyone remeber Town & Country -- topless Dancing off HCB?
Yup , I used to go there a time or two . I guess they were told to clean up their act 'cause it's a car wash now .

Last edited by up1950s; 01-27-2009 at 07:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 06:46 AM

33 posts, read 197,970 times
[quote=AliKaplan48;7194232]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE JENETTE View Post

Wetson's was never on the corner of Sunrise and Rockaway Ave. It was a bit further up and when they built that McDonalds on Sunrise and Rockaway we all thought how stupid that was, they suely couldn't compete against WETSONS... which of course had to compete with White Castle which was right down the road.
I miss White Castle so much! The frozen White Castle burgers don't get it. White castle burgers exist only in a small window in time. Then they turn to rancid grease and mush.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:38 AM

[quote=jerryshap;7209221]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliKaplan48 View Post

I miss White Castle so much! The frozen White Castle burgers don't get it. White castle burgers exist only in a small window in time. Then they turn to rancid grease and mush.
Back then in the late 50's the building was at the corner with the parking just east of the building . Now the building is been moved to the east side of the property with the parking at the corner . Back then there were roller girls that delivered the sliders to the car and hooked up a tray to your cars side window of your choice . You beeped once you parked to get service , and flashed your lights to get the tray of garbage removed so you can leave . Maybe vice versa .

Here is a 2006 shot long after the structure was moved to the east edge of the lot .

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_aKjYmQBQOVM/SY...20Lynbrook.jpg

Last edited by up1950s; 01-28-2009 at 11:48 AM..

Old 01-28-2009, 06:18 PM

22 posts, read 73,038 times
Anyone remember Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor on Sunrise Highway in Lynbrook? they had a dish called the kitchen sink that contained all of their flavors. It was huge.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF1974 View Post
Anyone remember Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor on Sunrise Highway in Lynbrook? they had a dish called the kitchen sink that contained all of their flavors. It was huge.
I do .

Old 01-28-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria5678 View Post
Proud CapMarine,

I'm glad to see you sticking around after being the one who started this thread. I found this site rather late and many have since disappeared. I love reading about the old days. I would love to see pics of the horses the previous writer was talking about. Imagine riding to Bohack. WOW! What year was that. My parents moved to 250th st. in 1961. They bought the house from the Kliens who had lived in that house for, I don't know, 50 years. they told us the garage behind the house used to be a barn and they had horses there. Maybe I can find some pics of old Rosedale on the internet somewhere. Well, I hope we can keep this going and get some people back to the thread.
I saw Bohack being built , maybe 1955 or so . I never saw or heard of horses in town then .

Old 01-28-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheEss View Post
The railroad websites I linked to have some interesting photos and maps of the old days.

This website is called "Forgotten New York." It is awesome. Follow this link to memories about old-time Rosedale:

rosedale (http://www.forgotten-ny.com/NEIGHBORHOODS/borderrosedale/rosedale.html - broken link)

Look at the old map of Rosedale from 1910!

You can see how much empty space there was. That was all farmland!
The streets had actual names, not numbers.

Somewhere in the huge NYC.gov website, you can order from the Municipal Tax Archives an old photo from their files of any NYC home from either the 1930s or 1940s when they did the property tax assessments. So for about $10, you can see what your home looked like once upon a time.

Here's a memory. Who recalls this house in Laurelton? I see it everyday when I'm on the LIRR going to work:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/27/ny...gewanted=print

Gothamist: The Most Haunted House of Queens
On my house paper stuff , 148th Ave , has ( Cascade Ave ) next to it .

Old 01-28-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
Burger & Shake was on Sunrise and Hook Creek. I worked there two weeks. The manager was an arse.

I loved the free meal each day for working there though. The shakes were great.
I worked there too , we had to eat in the basement . When the Drive in let out late at night it was pretty busy , and by that time , for a kid , I was pretty tired .

Old 01-28-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockndaddy View Post
Where was Falcaros? I remember people telling me about that place when I was young? Wasn't that in 5 towns?
IIRC Falcaro's was a Bowling Ally at the south west corner of West Broadway or is it Broadway which turns into Burnside Ave and Rockaway Blvd . It burnt down or is that , it burnt up , and there is a supermarket there and some stores with off road parking . That is now called Falcaro's Corner .
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...02376&t=h&z=19

Old 01-28-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyF View Post
Yes, Marty's Market.
That was my grandfather, and my father, also named Marty worked there for many years. I lived upstairs from the butcher shop when I was a kid, we moved out to Nassau County when I was 5, but my father continued to work in the butcher shop for quite a few years after that.
The shop and row of stores - including a place named "Betty's" which was right next store to the butcher shop - was sold to another guy in the 1980's.
My dad switched careers at some point in the late 1970's, and my Grandfather died in 2004 after a long fight with cancer.
I've not been back to Rosedale for over 25 years. Last time I was there, it was a mess

Thanks for remembering my grandfather's shop.
Wasn't there a butcher named Vinny that worked at the butcher block in the back on the left side . The main block was in the corner of the L shape counter setup . I remember all that saw dust on the floor , and the green sign outside with pink neon " Marty's Market " .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City