Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2010, 05:47 PM

3 posts, read 13,736 times

Advertisements

Here is one of the photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone From Rosedale, Queens?-rosedale.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 05:46 AM

12 posts, read 45,121 times
Default to vikingprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestic Melody View Post
We moved to Rosedale 38 years ago, I agree with you vikingprincess, it's time for the truth to be told. Rosedale is a wonderful place to raise children. I am so familiar with all you mentioned and also have many awesome memories of sleding in the snow, ice skating , catch crabs in the lake, my brother gathering frogs, up to my kids running from the geese and enjoying the same park I grew up having fun in! Really great memories.

Sadly, in all honesty I had my share of really bad memories as well. Rosedale in the early 70's was racially difficult to say the least. I remember the black family from Jamaica whose home was bombed. I remember Brookville Park and how there was a war between black and white kids it was a war zone horrible very sad. Most of the whites did eventually leave when the blacks moved in. I didn't understand why at that time. My best friend who lived next door moved as well, I will never forget her. So sad when people are ignorant like that. I had friends (young boys) whos parents dressed them up as black women. They painted them black and put wigs on them and what they called "mamie house dresses" on them for holloween. The parents taught their children hatred and ugliness. They would provoke the children to treat us badly since they themselves personally could not. . When we went out on holloween there was a lady 1 block up from us that used to put things in the apples and on the candy to make the black kids sick. She was very old and hated blacks. She even put a razor blade in an apple! The raicial issues were horrible. I remember crying all the time when I was oppressed and could not figure out what I did to them and why they kept calling me "*****" or "Kizzy". I actually thought I was ugly and that's why they didnt want to be my friend. I didnt understand it was my skin color back then. I was never thaught that by my parents. They never taught us that hatred. Dad would always say, "Chin up when the time is right you will meet really good friends that will be your friends for life! These people are NOT your friends. Friends do not treat innocent young sweet girls like you that way!" I always looked forward to that. I love my dad so much

The worse racial tension I experienced was the burning of the cross on our lawn and spray painting of "******" on our door. Young white males in their late teens to early 20's would drive by in sports cars and do these things for fun. I remember one guy driving chevy got out of his car spray painted "******" on my friends door across the street. We were outside play, jumping rope, playing stick ball etc. I was young like 4th or 5th grade. Some of the older guys on the block saw him and ran to stop him. They were sick of the games and wanted to catch the idiots that were doing that. The police did nothing when we complained. This time we all saw the guy when he did it. The white guy jumped in his car and tried to get away, but my neighbors got to the car just as he was pulling off and pulled him right out of the car thru the window. Another neighbor had to jump in the white guys car and park it because it was rolling away! They held that guy there until the police came. The fear in the white guy's face was classic He really didn't think he was going to get caught, but he was so slow. Why would you do that in the summer, broad daylight with all the kids outside playing, what a nut! The other was when I was about 7 or 8 and we came home to a burning cross on our lawn. My parents were so upset, at that time I didnt understand what was going on, they never spoke hatred to us. All I saw was fire and that was enough to upset me. Most black children were afraid to go anywhere alone. I was concerned based on what I heard. But, my mom would never let me out of her sight anyway. She was a stay at home mom and we were always together. I was blessed! I didnt have to come home form school and wait for my parents to show up from work. Mom was always there. It was great!

When I went to 231 boy was that crazy. They were trying to integrate the schools. The whites in Rosedale did not want to be bused. They didn't want their kids going to school with blacks. That is a mess, the media was always at my house interviewing my mom. I was in ICG (intellectually gifted children) class in 181 and went into SP in 231. We graduated and were placed in the 10th grade. While in class everything was fine, but when we got out of school, that is when the name called started the Kizzy and the ****** calling. At that age I could not figure out why you liked me in class but hated me out of class. I thought hey were crazy! I still remember the names of my oppressors, I guess its a scar if you will. But, that God I never hated back... and still don't. I just find it a shame that children are taught such ugliness and its carried down from generation to generation. Very sad...

I moved when I got married and moved back to live with my mom in 2004, my mom God bless her soul has gone home to be with the Lord in 2008. I am still here trying to move in... get myself reaquainted with the neighborhood and settling in. Where I live the same people are still here from the 70's we have an awesome network of neighbors all colors from white/asian/black/spanish. We love each other and take care of each other. Just like in old Rosedalian time, we look out for each others children, watch each other's homes when we vacation. We BBQ, celebrate holidays together and family events. We are the children of the original owners who are not middle aged and the original owners who are now senior citizens. It's a pleasure really. My children are grown now. My son is married and has a little boy. They live in Fresh Meadows, and my "baby" girl is 17 a senior in HS on her way to college. My grandson who is bi racial is now experiencing the life of Rosedale, the geese in Brookville Park, the play grounds, shopping in 5 towns, and watching the planes land in Woodmere park. The Rosedalian legacy continues... without the racial prejudice. How cooool is that! Rosedale was great growing up but with the excepting of the NYC public school system... it's better now that it was in the 70's. A loving place to raise children... and grandchildren where everyone looks out for each other.
thats very nice what you posted but one question why did you move if its so great in Rosedale ? Did you take the late white flight out?

Old 02-09-2011, 08:18 PM

26 posts, read 132,674 times
Default Haven't been to this site since 2008

To: Rusty 1964

I'm not really sure how to respond on this site since I haven't been back in the past 2 years. I hope this does find you Rusty 1964. The reason I moved out of Rosedale was because my family was able to move out of my mom's house into a larger apartment. We live in Far Rockaway so "taking the late white flight out" doesn't really apply to myself darling. Not to mention that my husband is black and my son is bi-racial and we have been together since 1987. My mom STILL lives there and I visit very often. My son is 13 years old now and he still loves to go there and visit.

I apologize to the old time Rosedalians who just don't want to fess up to the way that things were in certain parts of Rosedale back in the late 1970's and early 1980's. That's not my problem nor my concern. I felt compelled 2 years ago to have a "different" viewpoint shared on this forum due to the fact that most of the old timers kept saying that "Rosedale has gone down the tubes" etc... Just because the old timers n their croanies left Rosedale doesn't mean that it's worthless or terrible. That's really all that I wanted to say. Like usual all of the old timers want to attack my character and say ridiculose things on this site regarding my education etc. Making accusations that I am not articulate or intelligent. That's fine, it's cool. I know who I am and I can say proudly that I graduated from St. Clare's School after attending from kindergarten to the 8th grade. I am sure somebody will call my education into question again. That's their deal not mine.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:35 PM

To: Majestic Melody

I haven't been tothis site since 2008. I see that you have memories that are very similar to the ones that I have of Rosedale back in the day. I think it was terrible that those things were done to your family and friends back then. I never could understand the rage that some whites felt towards blacks back then. I thought it was disgraceful even at the tender age of 5 and 6. I'm glad you have come back to the neighborhood and that despite the terrible things that were done you do have good memories of Rosedale. Those good memories are the REAL HEART N SPIRIT OF ROSEDALE.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:45 PM

Default co-sign Dennis Brown quote??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
Co-Sign everything...did you go to JHS 231?
What's up Dennis Brown? Why don't you explain what you mean? Co-Sign what exactly? Please do explain... Oh and by the way I went to ST. CLARE'S FROM KINDERGARTEN ALL THE WAY THROUGH TO THE 8TH GRADE. SO WHAT'S UP DENNIS BROWN? You don't even know me and you're trying to personally attack me?? Why?? I didn't personally attack 1 person on this site, all I did was tell THE TRUTH. Sorry that you can't handle it and that the rest of the old time racists from Rosedale can't either. Too BADDD!

Last edited by vikingprincess; 02-09-2011 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: needed to add some more information

Old 02-09-2011, 09:08 PM

For those people who think that I'm trying to put "race" into the mix when everyone is just trying to come to this site to have pretty butterfly memories of how wonderful Rosedale was back in the 70's n 80's - I say - WAKE UP! This was the REAL ROSEDALE. There was good and there was bad. You can't only focus on the good and neglect the bad because when you do that the entire viewpoint becomes distorted or onesided. I have many fond memories of Rosedale but I also have terrible ones as I discussed earlier on this site. Those memories were worth repeating so that they NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN TO ANY OTHER GROUP OF PEOPLE.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:19 AM

3 posts, read 8,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddycat902 View Post
Just came across this site. What great memories!! I grew up there in the 1960's and moved out in the late 70's. I lived on 144th Avenue a few blocks from "town". I went to P.S. 138. Does anyone remember the top floors were closed due to a major fire in the building? It smelled from the fire. Also it used to go up to 8th grade (only to 6th in my days). Then it was off to JHS 231 (not such good memories). I remember Mrs.Schaumberger's too. I went there and got to dance in the 1964/65 World's Fair in the NY Pavillion. I remember walking on Friday nights to Green Acres. Imagine kids cutting thru movie parking lots, backyards and then walking along Sunrise Hiway?? Life was so different then. We didn't have much money to spend, so we'd all get jello for about 40 cents at Lens in the mall. No parents drove us or picked us up.
I loved my childhood in Rosedale. Great neighbors and friends.

I went to 231 and I had a good time there I am sorry you did not.I also lived on 144th ave but behind Springfield High School (back when they had real students) it was a good time back then

Old 02-15-2011, 06:52 PM

Default vikingprincess

First to start with no one is questoning your intelligens,you dont have to prove your education or that your articulate.You started this by making these false stories up .you took old stories and twisted against the white.Why? who knows,but first the old lady that put things in the apples yea well that story was around when i was a kid trick or treating in rosedale the old lady dont go there she puts pins in the apples.Done many years ago.The story with the kids in the Chevy yea again except the story was did you here about so and so this guy in a chevy z28 spray painted swatz stickers on this guys house they got him but some how this guy new the cops and they let him go .same bull story but different and thats because of the times .so if your going to tell sad stories about how bad the white kids were in Rosedale make sure there original and true not old stories that have been around for years.And those guys that had the chevys I know about 5 of them and they are all super nice people.
We have no problems with the black or white issues its people like you who have nothing better to do then stir up bull**** stories .and for what?
hey I know girls that went to 231 and were stuck in there ass with pins and after it was done they were called crackers why? Maybe you can turn that around and say oh that was the welcome committe to 231 and oh no we werent calling you crackers we said we are have soup today at lunch and we have some extra crackers for you.Sound good to you.so stop it get off your high horse there were always tension between black and whit in Rosedale and many other towns but they work it out ,there is no need for you to stir the pot thats now empty...

Old 02-15-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingprincess View Post
For those people who think that I'm trying to put "race" into the mix when everyone is just trying to come to this site to have pretty butterfly memories of how wonderful Rosedale was back in the 70's n 80's - I say - WAKE UP! This was the REAL ROSEDALE. There was good and there was bad. You can't only focus on the good and neglect the bad because when you do that the entire viewpoint becomes distorted or onesided. I have many fond memories of Rosedale but I also have terrible ones as I discussed earlier on this site. Those memories were worth repeating so that they NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN TO ANY OTHER GROUP OF PEOPLE.
you are mixing race. why did something *iss you off. I dont know but Rosedale was a great place to live key word WAS>>>>>

Old 02-24-2011, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 3,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleybear View Post
Does anyone rember when there were two grocery stores on 243rd street??? They were Bohack's and ?????

Dan's Supreme
I grew up in Rosedale from 1962 to 1986, then moved to Massapequa, the 2 stores were Bohack and Mets Foods when I was there, I believe Mets then became Keyfood. Should know I walked there every day. Miss Rosedale alot. Great Times and Memories
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City