Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2011, 10:38 AM

64 posts, read 244,680 times

Advertisements

It was DAN'S before Met's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 09:20 AM

1 posts, read 3,563 times
Default Rosedale

I lived in the Rosedale/Laurelton area from 1962 - 1969. Graduated from St. Clare's in 1969 and then attended Christ the King High School in Middle Village. I can remember when Columbia's Pizzeria first opened circa 1966. They gave away free pizza. Spent many a night at Killane's Pub with Joe Passarelli, Paul Lepre and Nick Benvenuto.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:19 PM

26 posts, read 132,643 times
Hey You need to get your story straight. You are mixing my posts up with someone else's. Everything that I wrote about is true. I could care less if you believe it or not. Due to the fact that I am white, why would I call other whites "crackers"? Gee, that doesn't make sense does it? No, it doesn't. I'll let you hold onto your dear memories of Rosedale past since you obviously don't want to admit the way it really was.. whatever ...

Old 03-02-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
Wow some of the blatant racism by the 'old white guard' (former residents of Rosedale) in this thread is amazing. I can tell you right now the elderly white people that have remained in Rosedale are safer than the few black families that used to live in Rosedale when whites made up the vast majority.
I agree with you. The old timers that ran, far far away from Rosedale wanna have their cake n eat it to - NOT! They want to bad mouth the current state of Rosedale but it's actually times better than it was when it was all white. I'm white and I can attest to it. I'm not saying that every white person who moved away moved because black people were moving in, I'm saying that a vast majority of them moved for that reason alone. I remember because I was a kid listening to all the adults fuss about the black people that were moving in and I thought it was disgraceful. The old time racists that ran away from Rosedale need to keep it real or keep it moving because racism was alive and well back in the day in Rosedale! That's the TRUTH! I said it and I'll say it again! THAT'S THE TRUTH!

Old 03-02-2011, 05:37 PM

[quote=rusty1964;17884941]First to start with no one is questoning your intelligens,you dont have to prove your education or that your articulate.You started this by making these false stories up .you took old stories and twisted against the white.Why? who knows,but first the old lady that put things in the apples yea well that story was around when i was a kid trick or treating in rosedale the old lady dont go there she puts pins in the apples.Done many years ago.The story with the kids in the Chevy yea again except the story was did you here about so and so this guy in a chevy z28 spray painted swatz stickers on this guys house they got him but some how this guy new the cops and they let him go .same bull story but different and thats because of the times .so if your going to tell sad stories about how bad the white kids were in Rosedale make sure there original and true not old stories that have been around for years.And those guys that had the chevys I know about 5 of them and they are all super nice people.
We have no problems with the black or white issues its people like you who have nothing better to do then stir up bull**** stories .and for what?
hey I know girls that went to 231 and were stuck in there ass with pins and after it was done they were called crackers why? Maybe you can turn that around and say oh that was the welcome committe to 231 and oh no we werent calling you crackers we said we are have soup today at lunch and we have some extra crackers for you.Sound good to you.so stop it get off your high horse there were always tension between black and whit in Rosedale and many other towns but they work it out ,there is no need for you to stir the pot thats now empty...[/quote

yOU NEED TO GET YOUR STORY STRAIGHT. YOU ARE MIXING MY POSTS UP WITH SOMEONE ELSES AND EVERYTHING THAT I SAID IS TRUE. I AM WHITE SO WHY WOULD I CALL OTHER WHITES CRACKERS? I GUESS YOU THOUGHT I WAS BLACK BECAUSE I KEEP BRINGING UP HOW HORRIBLE THE OLD TIME WHITES WERE TO THE FIRST BLACKS THAT MOVED INTO ROSEDALE. SORRY TO DISAPPOINT YOU BUT I'M NOT BLACK SO YOU CAN'T PULL THAT ON ME BUDDY. TALK ABOUT GETTING OFF MY HIGH HORSE YOU NEED TO GET OFF YOURS AND REALIZE THAT ROSEDALE WAS AN EXTREMELY RACIST NEIGHBORHOOD BACK IN THE DAY. I KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT BECAUSE I USED TO SIT ON THE STOOP LISTENING TO ALL THE CRAZY ADULTS FUSS ABOUT THE BLACK PEOPLE THAT WERE MOVING IN. IT WAS DISGRACEFUL AND IT WAS TRUE! SOOOO MANY OF THE OLD TIME WHITES WENT RUNNING OUT OF ROSEDALE LIKE THEY WERE ON FIRE WHEN THE BLACK PEOPLE BEGAN MOVING IN. THEY DIDN'T WANT TO HAVE THEIR CHILDREN GO TO SCHOOL WITH BLACKS, THEY DIDN'T WANT TO LIVE NEXT DOOR TO BLACKS. THAT IS THE TRUTH. DON'T TRY N PAINT A FALSE PICTURE OF THE WAY IT WAS BECAUSE THE WAY ROSEDALE IS NOW IS TIMESSSSSSS BETTER THAN BACK IN THE DAY. TIMES BETTER N GUESS WHAT? IT'S MAINLY BLACK NOW, SO I GUESS ALL THE FEAR THAT ROSEDALE WAS GOING TO GO DOWN IN PROPERTY VALUE N BECOME A HAVEN FOR CRIME ETC. WAS ALL FOR NOTHING! ALL I GOTTA SAY TO THE OLD TIME ROSEDALIANS IS "HAHAHAHA!" FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT RAN AWAY BECAUSE OF "WHITE FLIGHT" - GOOD RIDDENS! DON'T COME BACK BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT WANTED!

Old 03-03-2011, 09:01 AM

All I keep hearing is how BETTER Rosedale is today!! Can someone tell me how it is better? I lived there from 1958 to 1974 and would like to know. Did you get a High School are the roads better or did your cars stop getting stolen? If Rosedale would have got a High School I do believe it would still be all white. That was a big problem back then. We were told we would get one and I do believe it was started and then stopped. So explain to me why it is Better now that most of the whites are gone. Why is Springfield Gardens not Better now that the whites left alone time ago?
Explain

Old 03-03-2011, 02:43 PM

As far as Viking Princess, I'm not Bad mouthing Rosedale. I have driven through it and it looks like the people that live there have pride in their town and want to keep it nice and is great!! But lets be truthful here back when everyone was moving times where Big time different. You must remember that some of the other neighbor hoods that Blacks, Spanish, etc lived in did not do to good and people only had that to go on. Hey I'm Italian and when the Italians moved into neighbor hoods in the city or Brooklyn in the late part of the 1800's or early 1900's they had the same problems. Also the Irish, Jews etc. Its been this way through the years and these older groups had it harder then the Blacks, Spainsh or whoever. No one gave help like today, for example push one for English. They all had the same problems and stayed in their own little neighbor hood. Hell the Blacks back then didn't want Italians living in their towns!! But time have changed. It was a bad time back then but people learned from it and lived on. Yes the whites did not want the neighor hood to change. Do you think the Jews in Brooklyn would like Hatians moving in like Rosedale, no. All the races have had a hard time through the years. It was no different in Rosedale then any where else. Ask anyone who came here from another nation. So why should it be any different for anyone else? For the people that do live in Rosedale keep up the Good work the area looks GREAT.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:44 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,352,947 times
I grew up in Laurelton (moved in 1968) and always heard that it was not safe for me (a little black girl) to go to Rosedale but truthfully, I can't ever recall hearing about any major trouble. I never heard about killings, muggings, gangs, etc. I went to day camp with kids from Rosedale and we all got along.
As far as a high school for Rosedale, alone, I don't recall. There was supposed to be a middle school that was never completed on Merrick & the Cross Island. It's now an office building.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:19 PM

12 posts, read 45,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingprincess View Post
Hey You need to get your story straight. You are mixing my posts up with someone else's. Everything that I wrote about is true. I could care less if you believe it or not. Due to the fact that I am white, why would I call other whites "crackers"? Gee, that doesn't make sense does it? No, it doesn't. I'll let you hold onto your dear memories of Rosedale past since you obviously don't want to admit the way it really was.. whatever ...

Would you please get your stories straight never said you were african american ,i know your white and never said you called the girls crackers.
You see this is what im talking about you make up stories .Many of my friends are african american i show them your posts and the first thing they say is this person is a trouble maker.Oh and by the way the story of the lady on halloween yea my friend that lived in jamaica queens she also knows the story her mom said to her the corner house dont go there the lady put things in the candy,Oh they were african american.you need to calm down.people on this site want to have fun and talk about old times not listen to your racist stuff.And if you have nothing nice to say and cant enjoy this site then leave .we here like to chat about the good and wont dwell on the negitive.And thats not just from me its from alot of people on this site.we know there was bad but thats in anytown .time heals and if you cant forget then you have a problem.Move on........

Old 03-07-2011, 09:43 AM

Very well said Rusty! I loved my time in Rosedale through the good and bad. It was not just Rosedale during those times it was everywhere. Granted it was not a nice time but its our past and we learned from it now lets move on and not dwell on it. i'm sure other neighborhoods had the same problems through the years but say it was just Rosedale. Like Rusty said this place is to enjoy the old memories we have. I live in Florida and I hear the same old story about the old lady thats here in Florida. Let it go or better still you go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City