Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2007, 03:43 PM

203 posts, read 852,583 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a potential job offer to work for the City Health Dept working out of Riker's Isand. Can anyone offer any info on what it's like commuting there...is it true you can only get there by car?
Overall, how is it as a place to work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 04:06 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,552,262 times
I know there's 2 parking lots. One in the island and one before you cross the bridge to get there.

I've heard that visitors that have cars would park it in the lot before the bridge, then hop on a bus to the island. The one on the island is for employees, I would assume.

By public transit, you would have to take the Q101R to get there. It runs from Queens Plaza to Rikers and only has 3 stops, Queens Plaza, the stop before getting on the bridge and mainland Rikers.

Old 08-05-2007, 04:33 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,403 times
There's an express bus that runs there... but it usually requires handcuffs.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:51 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,474 times
You have to take the bus from the Queens side. Commute sucks.

Nice place. The NY Times calls it "Up and Coming".

Old 08-11-2007, 07:37 PM

2 posts, read 22,990 times
Default Former NYC Correction Officer

The only way to get onto to Rikers Island is over the conecting bridge from Queens (near LaGuardia Airport). If you are an employee you will be issued a parking pass (placard), and I.D. that will allow you to pass over the bridge and park in the employee lot. Then you have to go through the control bldg. where your I.D. is checked again. In the rear of the Bldg is a bus depot where you catch a route bus to whatever facility you are going to. Walking around the Island is prohibited. If you dont have a car you can get picked up by other Officers or employees by standing at the corner before the entrance to the bridge with your I.D. out, Officers with thier shields out.

There is a Queens surface bus that goes over the bridge and stops in front of the control bldg. I'd take that as a last resort because it's mostly used by family members of inmates. They however go in to a different bldg. than the control bldg.

If you don't have a car you can also take the M60 from 125th street it goes to Laguardia Airport. If you get off right before the airport its a short walk to the Island, about 5 to 10 minutes. The walk is the route most people drive so you could get picked up and driven in.

Geting to work will be very costly if you live in the Bronx. The tolls!

Old 08-30-2011, 09:23 PM

1 posts, read 8,389 times
I have a question..I recently offered a position at Rikers Island...but is the pension plan a good one? 20 years to retire but are there real benefits?

Old 08-30-2011, 10:30 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlost View Post
I'm considering a potential job offer to work for the City Health Dept working out of Riker's Isand. Can anyone offer any info on what it's like commuting there...is it true you can only get there by car?
Overall, how is it as a place to work?
You have to take the Q101R to get there. It runs fairly often but only stops at its first and last stop. Whenever I see on on 21 Street it's always empty.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:50 AM

84 posts, read 277,322 times
There is def a bus. I know a woman who did temp work there . Easy from Western Queens (LIC or Astoria)

Old 08-31-2011, 10:41 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
I have a friend that works at Rikers. He (at least used to) ride his motorcycle there and park. He seemed content with his job - I never asked too many questions about it honestly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City