Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 04:51 AM

647 posts, read 1,522,988 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I live in Brooklyn and while I love it some days, other days I hate it, here are some reasons for the move:

1. No job luck (and that includes applying for entry level/internships/start at the bottom type work).
2. I'm getting a pretty nice size settlement check soon and I figure it'll last longer in a different city. I figure in some place like Portland it'll last maybe a year whereas if I stay here it'll be gone in a few months. I know the job market sucks in Portland too, but I can live off the settlement for a year and surely I'll have a job by then as opposed to running out of the settlement in NYC during the freezing winter and having to work a crummy job.
3. Haven't made one friend yet or close to one (and yes I do go out, joined clubs, use meetup, etc)
4. The stress is getting to me. I had bad anxiety to begin with before moving here but I feel as if the anxiety is getting worse.
5. Believe it or not, I've been getting really bored here, haven't found any cool bars/places to hang out yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 05:17 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,812,434 times
Well, if you are naturally anxious, NYC isn't the cure for that. It'll only exacerbate the circumstance. Probably shows in your interviewing.

Lack of funds will hamper the personal life, cool bars come at cool expense.

BTW, what's the problem with Brooklyn? What neighborhood do you live?

NYC isn't for everyone. Is there a specific reason you choose to move here?

A more laid back and relaxed environment may serve you better.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Well, if you are naturally anxious, NYC isn't the cure for that. It'll only exacerbate the circumstance. Probably shows in your interviewing.

Lack of funds will hamper the personal life, cool bars come at cool expense.

BTW, what's the problem with Brooklyn? What neighborhood do you live?

NYC isn't for everyone. Is there a specific reason you choose to move here?

A more laid back and relaxed environment may serve you better.
I chose to move here because of my film/tv degree. I know L.A. is better for that but I thought I'd like NYC more. And I have money to go to bars, but all the ones I've been to just seem boring and full of guys.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:12 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,085 times
Doesn't sound like you have the ambition or drive to make it in NYC. Go to Portland and take it easy.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:16 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
The #1 of you post says it all. NYC, like many cities, can suck without a steady income and savings go fast.

I hope you do better in LA. (Remember though, mandatory car ownership and long driving in traffic jams eats up a lot of cash also.)

Quote:
And I have money to go to bars, but all the ones I've been to just seem boring and full of guys.
Perhaps gay bars are a mistake for you.
(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Old 06-06-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
The #1 of you post says it all. NYC, like many cities, can suck without a steady income and savings go fast.

I hope you do better in LA. (Remember though, mandatory car ownership and long driving in traffic jams eats up a lot of cash also.)

Perhaps gay bars are a mistake for you.
(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

No, I don't go to gay bars. I'll go to straight bars and it'll be maybe 10 guys for every 1 girl and the 1 girl is usually taken.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:27 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times
so bars are the only thing you want to go to?

there is soooooooo much more out here to do in NY than just bars....yawn.....

Old 06-06-2011, 08:27 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,262,756 times
Yes

Old 06-06-2011, 08:49 AM

961 posts, read 2,464,414 times
As far as the job situation you might want to try some temp agencies while you're still here, atleast before you leave. You might have some luck with something permanent or atleast you'll have more money saved up when you leave with your settlement. As far as meeting people, since the past year that I've been living in Bk I've been meeting alot of people, with whom I can't even keep up with most of them. Maybe work might change that for you, and "bars full of guys", where are you hanging out? I seldomly have that problem going out, my girl keeps a close eye on me because most places we go are full of women. But for the most part take care of #1 first and no you're not a wuss for leaving, especially if you have anxiety problems, I think most Americans do.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
so bars are the only thing you want to go to?

there is soooooooo much more out here to do in NY than just bars....yawn.....
No, bars were just the example I used. I've been doing other stuff but still getting bored.

Give me some fun stuff to do in Brooklyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City