Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 09:45 AM

337 posts, read 969,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I would say it is Hispanic capital of NYC..Latino is really a west coast term that has yet to catch on as much here. I don't even call myself Latino because that is generally tied to Latin America...which caribbean people, who are the bulk of Hispanic residents in NYC, do not identify themselves with. I would say I am Hispanic first, then Caribbean, then Latin/Latino...but it is changing.
Hispanic or Latino is ok. Carribean is an area and would be misleading. I hear Latino a lot in the bx. Latino sports cafe,Latino Baseball club,my nephews baseball little league is latino souls. Latin kings lol. Whatever, as long as were united.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:47 AM

961 posts, read 2,464,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latinguynjnj View Post
I wasn't trying to seem like there is some crazy war between the groups. I was only trying to add it's not all peachy. My point was Puerto Ricans are indifferent to you regardless of your race, ethnicity, whatever. It's a case by case basis. There is no special bond between Puerto Ricans and African Americans or anyone. The closest to a "bond" I have seen was towards other Latinos.
No I wasn't coming at you with that post, it was directed at a post that painted a blanketed view of the situation. What I was getting at is that it is not uncommon to see people from these two groups getting along.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:54 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
El77..the point is in NYC we are overwhelmingly Caribbean, not Latin American...there is a big difference culturally, ethnically, linguistically as well (like British English vs American English). And as a result, we are no more united than say Europeans...they all have some mutually shared interests but vastly different economies, goals, beliefs, cultures and agendas.

We are united in many ways because we are fighting the same battles...but if didn't share a common "purpose" (i.e. equality, etc),there really isn't that much that binds us and we have vastly different experiences here and in our home countries.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:56 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,382 times
Which is preferable Latin, Latino, or Hispanic? Some people have told me Hispanic is offensive, like calling a Black person colored today.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:59 AM
DAS

By the way my family has been in Harlem for many decades now. I grew up in the Bronx though returning as a teen to Harlem. The area I grew up in was Morrisania, and at that time was mostly Black and Puerto Rican, and many mixed families of both even back then. So I really don't understand what the big deal is, and why this thread even exists.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:59 AM

337 posts, read 969,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Which is preferable Latin, Latino, or Hispanic? Some people have told me Hispanic is offensive, like calling a Black person colored today.
Yes, a lot of latinos don't like the term hispanic.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:03 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
Hispanic was what the East Coast historically used to describe Spanish speakers, and more Spanish centric, probably because Spain's last 2 colonies were Cuba and PR, with PR being the largest/most influential influx historically to NYC...and some Cubans as well.

Latino was created in response to promote a distinct Latin American identity, and marginalizing Spanishness...which for Latin Americans I would understand. Hispanic is not offensive in my view, and the older population is used to it, but I can see that because it is more associated with Spanishness, many Latin Americans could find it offensive. They succesfully revolted in the early 1800s and disconnected from Spain.

It's really a preference at this time, and Hispanic is being used less, as more Latin Americans are now in NYC and Latino is taking on more popularity.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:09 AM
DAS

Thank you el77 and SobroGuy for responding.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:43 PM

34 posts, read 129,971 times
Alot of you must be living in a different new york than i do. Blacks and hispanics get along. period. Dominicans and ricans listen to hip hop and watch basketball /football along with baseball. I live in the bronx which is like ground zero for this topic

An example of blacks and hispanics just "tolerating" each other is L.A,texas(basically the rest of the US). Black and hispanic unity is odd/rare outside the northeast, and maybe chicago. So much so, that blacks outside the northeast(in this case the south) are puzzled by the relationship

Whether one feels some type of way about that, is beside the point

Old 06-08-2011, 01:48 PM

961 posts, read 2,464,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Hammer View Post
Alot of you must be living in a different new york than i do. Blacks and hispanics get along. period. Dominicans and ricans listen to hip hop and watch basketball /football along with baseball. I live in the bronx which is like ground zero for this topic

An example of blacks and hispanics just "tolerating" each other is L.A,texas(basically the rest of the US). Black and hispanic unity is odd/rare outside the northeast, and maybe chicago. So much so, that blacks outside the northeast(in this case the south) are puzzled by the relationship

Whether one feels some type of way about that, is beside the point

exactly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City