Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 01:32 AM

961 posts, read 2,456,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by el77 View Post
Yes, what's the big deal? And everyone is right. You will see pr girl with black guys but seldom the opposite. Not sure why. I'm dominican and you almost never see dominican girls with black guys.
Tell that to my girl. lol, but seriously from my obervations most PR's and DR's get along with black people and hang out with them, especially here in Brooklyn. There are a some scenarios but there isn't some rampant hatred toward each other like some people here have made it seem.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:11 AM

37 posts, read 118,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
Tell that to my girl. lol, but seriously from my obervations most PR's and DR's get along with black people and hang out with them, especially here in Brooklyn. There are a some scenarios but there isn't some rampant hatred toward each other like some people here have made it seem.
I wasn't trying to seem like there is some crazy war between the groups. I was only trying to add it's not all peachy. My point was Puerto Ricans are indifferent to you regardless of your race, ethnicity, whatever. It's a case by case basis. There is no special bond between Puerto Ricans and African Americans or anyone. The closest to a "bond" I have seen was towards other Latinos.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:30 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,438,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latinguynjnj View Post
I wasn't trying to seem like there is some crazy war between the groups. I was only trying to add it's not all peachy. My point was Puerto Ricans are indifferent to you regardless of your race, ethnicity, whatever. It's a case by case basis. There is no special bond between Puerto Ricans and African Americans or anyone.
Lol. I get your point and this thread just seems as if PRs and Black Americans just meet and everything is magic. My mother is half Dominican and whenever I'd bring that up with PR's (and other people, down the line) it's not this huge deal like it seems. People always assume and try to say what you are, before knowing YOU as a person. I think it depends on the person and what they're about, rather than their race and/or skin color.

I love my Dominican roots and I also love my black roots too. My great-grandfather (who is still alive AND fought in World War 2) is a great Black American

Old 06-08-2011, 06:12 AM

337 posts, read 965,580 times
Quote:
It's probably different in Brooklyn which is mostly black. Boricuas usually will hang with blacks but not so much dominicans. It's not hatred just a preference.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
It's probably different in Brooklyn which is mostly black. Boricuas usually will hang with blacks but not so much dominicans. It's not hatred just a preference.
In comparison to other parts of the country, there's more fluidity between blacks and hispanics. I'm not saying everything is peaches and cream, but there's more common ground especially when you look at how the two groups have assimilated into urban life. I'm black and I'm comfortable around alot of PR's and Dr's, we have alot of the same interests when it comes to music, sports, politics and the Caribbean background adds on to it. In West Harlem I see Dominican kids hanging out with black americans all the time when I'm going up Amsterdam or Broadway. I don't know how things are in the Bronx, but from what I see, there's alot of common ground between the two, especially if you're from the islands.

Its only natural that groups with even the most subtle differences don't get along 100% of the time. Many West Indians don't hold very positive views of American blacks and vice versa, which I find ridiculous but, it is what it is.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
In comparison to other parts of the country, there's more fluidity between blacks and hispanics. I'm not saying everything is peaches and cream, but there's more common ground especially when you look at how the two groups have assimilated into urban life. I'm black and I'm comfortable around alot of PR's and Dr's, we have alot of the same interests when it comes to music, sports, politics and the Caribbean background adds on to it. In West Harlem I see Dominican kids hanging out with black americans all the time when I'm going up Amsterdam or Broadway. I don't know how things are in the Bronx, but from what I see, there's alot of common ground between the two, especially if you're from the islands.

Its only natural that groups with even the most subtle differences don't get along 100% of the time. Many West Indians don't hold very positive views of American blacks and vice versa, which I find ridiculous but, it is what it is.
I have never seen that and don't see the similarities. Dominicans and Puerto Ricans=baseball,salsa/merengue. Blacks=soccer,basketball,rap,reggae. But ok.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I have never seen that and don't see the similarities. Dominicans and Puerto Ricans=baseball,salsa/merengue. Blacks=soccer,basketball,rap,reggae. But ok.
Are you serious? You're going to tell me what I experience, grew up with and have seen time and again? I'm not talking about people who just got here, I'm talking about people who grew up here, thats why I said, "how they assimilated". Alot of American born kids whose parents are from PR or DR listen to hip-hop and like basketball. Because of my background (Haitian), we eat very similar food and grew up with alot of the same values that our parents beat us in the head with. We live in the same environments here, how we've acclimated to life here is similar. No one is suggesting one is a carbon copy of the other, but if you don't see a common ground it is because you don't want to.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:23 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,836,779 times
Quote:

I agree with this. I would also add that the dislikes are usually based on relationships with individuals, not the whole group. You mention West Harlem, Puerto Ricans, Cubans, American Blacks, and Caribbean Blacks have been living in East, West, and Central Harlem since the late 1800's together. More recently the (last 50 years or so) people from DR and Haiti have joined them, and even more recently people from Mexico.

So presently Mexicans are the ones that will stay more to themselves, since they are the newest group. But even that is starting to change with the children, and because the children are playing with all the other children, the young Mexican parents are starting to interact more with the other groups of people.

Also in Harlem unless someone is only 1 or 2 generations where the parents all came from 1 place. Most Black people in Harlem are part Caribbean, or part Latin. It may have happened further back, like 1 grand parent on both sides of the persons family, or something like that. That is why you have many "Black Americans" with Spanish, French, or really British surnames like those in Jamaica, or Barbados etc. The family may have been here for so many generations and they don't have any known relatives back in the Caribbean.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
I agree with this. I would also add that the dislikes are usually based on relationships with individuals, not the whole group. You mention West Harlem, Puerto Ricans, Cubans, American Blacks, and Caribbean Blacks have been living in East, West, and Central Harlem since the late 1800's together. More recently the (last 50 years or so) people from DR and Haiti have joined them, and even more recently people from Mexico.

So presently Mexicans are the ones that will stay more to themselves, since they are the newest group. But even that is starting to change with the children, and because the children are playing with all the other children, the young Mexican parents are starting to interact more with the other groups of people.

Also in Harlem unless someone is only 1 or 2 generations where the parents all came from 1 place. Most Black people in Harlem are part Caribbean, or part Latin. It may have happened further back, like 1 grand parent on both sides of the persons family, or something like that. That is why you have many "Black Americans" with Spanish, French, or really British surnames like those in Jamaica, or Barbados etc. The family may have been here for so many generations and they don't have any known relatives back in the Caribbean.
It's possible in Harlem where so many blacks live. I'm speaking from my perspective in the bronx, Latino capital of nyc. They might be part black carribean but I would say very few are part latino. People usually feel more comfortable with their own race. Which explains why so many mexicans have moved to the bx. They want to be around latinos.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:39 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,313,464 times
I would say it is Hispanic capital of NYC..Latino is really a west coast term that has yet to catch on as much here. I don't even call myself Latino because that is generally tied to Latin America...which caribbean people, who are the bulk of Hispanic residents in NYC, do not identify themselves with. I would say I am Hispanic first, then Caribbean, then Latin/Latino...but it is changing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City