Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 12:26 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,328,299 times

Advertisements

Twist its only a small portion of the Bronx that is dense like Washington Heights with rows and rows of tenements, and that starts around 161st and goes through to Bedford Park. To the West is much more residential (Riverdale) and almost everywhere to the east is mainly suburban homes with the exception of housing projects and some larger buildings sprinkled in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 12:29 PM

961 posts, read 2,458,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Twist its only a small portion of the Bronx that is dense like Washington Heights with rows and rows of tenements, and that starts around 161st and goes through to Bedford Park. To the West is much more residential (Riverdale) and almost everywhere to the east is mainly suburban homes with the exception of housing projects and some larger buildings sprinkled in.
It seems like a large swath to me, say from Bronx River going West, then up to Gun Hill Rd. No? I can't think of that large an area in Brooklyn. I will admit I am far more familiar with Brooklyn, but correct me if I'm wrong about the area I mentioned.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:44 PM

Thats cuz your swath is wrong. It is from the Lower concourse starting around 161st, and going up to Bedford Park. There are smaller sections with some dense tenement buildings, like Bronx Park East, Pelham Parkway, Gun Hill Road, Olinville, Norwood, but they are small. The Bronx overall is a very suburban borough, 25% is parkland/greenspace alone, except for the Western portion I described above. And much of the burned down tenements (which was a huge swath in the "South Bronx") were rebuilt with 2 and 3 family suburban homes, further depopulating the historically denser areas. It is only in the last 7 years or so that denser buildings are being built on the few remaining lots.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:04 PM

34 posts, read 129,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
But if you look at a map of The Bronx,about 50% of it's area (Riverdale,Woodlawn,Wakefield, Allerton,Baychester,Pelham Parkway,Morris Park,Pelham Bay,Country Club,City Island,Throgs Neck,etc are more suburban in character.Single family houses with back yards,front yards and driveways.
Pretty much

A'lot of people(basically the global population excluding nyc) thinks south bronx=the bronx. Half of the bronx is suburban(for nyc) or slower paced

Old 06-08-2011, 08:21 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,341,060 times
I'm not surprised.

It's getting disgusting out here save for parts of South Brooklyn.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:23 AM

37 posts, read 118,558 times
Quote:
Thats cuz your swath is wrong. It is from the Lower concourse starting around 161st, and going up to Bedford Park. There are smaller sections with some dense tenement buildings, like Bronx Park East, Pelham Parkway, Gun Hill Road, Olinville, Norwood, but they are small. The Bronx overall is a very suburban borough, 25% is parkland/greenspace alone, except for the Western portion I described above. And much of the burned down tenements (which was a huge swath in the "South Bronx") were rebuilt with 2 and 3 family suburban homes, further depopulating the historically denser areas. It is only in the last 7 years or so that denser buildings are being built on the few remaining lots.
I gotta disagree.

The areas in the Bronx around the concourse are the densest but no way in hell is the rest of the Bronx suburban.

The most eastern parts of the West Bronx like East Tremont, West Farms, Longwood, Mott Haven (Webster/Third/Southern Blvd corridors) are VERY dense. Not as much as around the Grand Concourse but I would say by far it's mostly apartment buildings even now. As for the houses, they are urban row houses with 2 and 3 apartments and most of the newest construction is apartment buildings. Those rowhouse blocks are no less dense then Bed-Stuy or inner city Baltimore, Philadelphia. Denser in most cases. The East Bronx is also very dense past White Plains Road going west and along the elevated subway lines. Pelham Parkway, Soundview, Parkchester, Wakefield, Allerton, Van Nest, Ollinville, Westchester Square are very dense neighborhoods even by overall city standards.

Bronx suburban, are you kidding?

Old 06-09-2011, 06:28 AM

Latinguy....if you believe the "The Bronx suburban, are you kidding", and based on the list that Van Nest, Allerton, Westchester Sq, Pelham Parkway, etc are very dense even by city standards, tells me you have no idea what you are talking about. You have lost all credibility...please refrain from further Bronx comments.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Latinguy....if you believe the "The Bronx suburban, are you kidding", and based on the list that Van Nest, Allerton, Westchester Sq, Pelham Parkway, etc are very dense even by city standards, tells me you have no idea what you are talking about. You have lost all credibility...please refrain from further Bronx comments.
Sorry I didn't know the swaths of tenements for a solid square mile around the 2 train in Pelham Parkway or the dense mix of multifamily homes and apartment buildings in Westchester Square, Allerton, and Van Nest were considered suburban.

Those are high density areas, they are served by heavy heavy rail rapid transit and multiple bus lines, even once street car systems. You don't built those in low density suburban areas.

The Bronx is NOT suburban. The East Bronx is very dense, it's just less dense in most areas then the West Bronx. There is a huge difference between less dense and not dense. It still averages about 30,000 people per square mile, that is very high density.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:50 AM

It is clear there is alot you don't know...your apology is accepted. Now sit back and learn.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
It is clear there is alot you don't know...your apology is accepted. Now sit back and learn.
Suburban Pelham Parkway:

Suburban Van Nest:

Suburban Allerton:

Suburban Westchester Square:

Credit to:
Netanyahu Lane, Pelham Parkway, The Bronx

Last edited by latinguynjnj; 06-09-2011 at 07:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City