Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 08:34 PM

7 posts, read 13,010 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

I am moving to NYC next month to attend NYU. For the rest of the summer, I will be living on campus in a residence hall. However, I was thinking of using this time to possibly look for a room/apartment share off campus for the 2011 academic year.

Since I am leaving for NY July 3rd, that would mean I would have just over a month to find a situation like this for the Fall. Is this enough time to find a room for rent?

Also, based on listing I've seen on Craigslist, it looks like I could find a room in Manhattan for around 700 dollars/month. Is this accurate? If so, this would be cheaper than living on campus for the year.

Any help is appreciated. If this is not realistic, I will go ahead and do the academic year on campus as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 08:41 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
Just curious, where are you moving from?

If you want just a room a month is plenty of time and NYU dorms are not really college dorms in any sense of the word.

I already feel bad for you to be honest. NYU doesn't have the feel of a traditional college/university town. That's the best part of college!

Old 06-08-2011, 09:06 PM

I'm moving from the greater Seattle, Washington area.

A room at a month to month basis is exactly what I want and I'm fully aware of the environment that NYU is in. Although the idea of a typical college experience sounds fun, I'm not really that worried about it. I've never really been interested in huge sports teams, frats, etc and I really only go out and drink maybe once every two weeks so the party scene doesn't really concern me.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:11 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
I already feel bad for you to be honest. NYU doesn't have the feel of a traditional college/university town. That's the best part of college!
That's debatable. Many go to NYU because they don't want to be in a traditional university town. To each their own I guess.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmgphoto View Post
I'm moving from the greater Seattle, Washington area.

A room at a month to month basis is exactly what I want and I'm fully aware of the environment that NYU is in. Although the idea of a typical college experience sounds fun, I'm not really that worried about it. I've never really been interested in huge sports teams, frats, etc and I really only go out and drink maybe once every two weeks so the party scene doesn't really concern me.
I don't see why month to month wouldn't be doable. Getting one in your desired area might be tough within a month but just a room in NYC shouldn't be that big of a headache.

As for the other stuff; all I'll say is that you'll realize about 1-2 years in. It's not really the party stuff or frats and sports teams. It's just the general atmosphere that a college town provides. Student life at NYU is somewhat detached. At least that's the complaint that I've received from the vast majority of NYU'ers that I've talked to.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:15 PM

Well, I'm going to be attending the film production program at TSOA so my aim will be to mostly network within my area of interest, but I understand what you're saying.

Regardless, this is what I've decided to do. Now, you've made it clear that I will easily be able to find a month to month situation and that I should be able to do so pretty reasonably in just over a month's time, but what I mostly want to know is if around 700/month will get me a room in Manhattan, particularly not so far north that I might as well look into Brooklyn or Queens for a similar commute time (not that I'm opposed to doing so, just think being closer to school would be beneficial).

Old 06-08-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillager View Post
That's debatable. Many go to NYU because they don't want to be in a traditional university town. To each their own I guess.
I wouldn't say it's that. Many go because it is still a top Uni in America.

There's a reason NYU has a relatively high student suicide rate. Student life is very detached. There isn't that same cohesion that a traditional campus brings. It's not as easy to make friends on a continuous basis or interact with other students.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:19 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
$700 a month for a room in Manhattan is not at all realistic, unless you are talking about Inwood and Washington Heights, which is so far away from what many people consider to be the Manhattan experience that they would opt to rent a room in one of the outer boroughs instead (if $700 a month is all they can afford).

A room in Manhattan is more more apt to run you $1000-$1500 a month.

All you have to do is look at market rents on apartments to figure out why. 2 bedroom apartments in Manhattan do not rent for $1400; they rent for $3000 and up.

A month or even three weeks is plenty of time to find a room.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmgphoto View Post
So, any advice? I basically have a deadline that I need to submit my housing app by (it's been extended for me since I'm a transfer) that will expire before I arrive in NY. If it is reasonable for me to find a room for 700/month (ish) in Manhattan, I won't bother with the app and will simply start pounding the pavement looking for arrangements once I get there in July, but if not, I need to do the app.
The truth is I'd advise you not to go that route. Live in the dorms and attempt to make some friends that will turn into lasting relationships. Living off campus will make it a lot harder. Don't look at the money so much at this point. The savings will be minimal when compared to your quality of life.

If you look hard enough/ devote enough time you'll find something. It prob won't be the best for that price though.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:23 PM

Thank you Henna for being so direct. I've just been unsure because I've seen lots of postings on Craigslist and even a few on the village voice's website in that range. I do understand though that often times listings on there can be scams or too good to be true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: