Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2015, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 498 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm about to move to New York from DC, and I'm looking for some neighborhood recommendations.

I'm trying to find a place that has:

- A straightforward commute to SoHo (where I'll be working)
- Cheap, diverse take-out options
- Rooms available for $1000 or less

If you have knowledge of the DC area, and could describe some NY neighborhoods in terms of their DC counterparts, that would be a great bonus! I'm in my mid-twenties, and currently living in the Logan Circle / U St / Shaw area.

I've been told that some areas in northwest Brooklyn might have what I'm looking for, but I'd appreciate your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 11:07 AM

110 posts, read 159,041 times
northwest Brooklyn = Williamsburg ?

u can a lot of renters between 20 to 30 something in williamsburg

Williamsburg spilts into two parts though

South Williamsburg goes to SOHO on the M line

; While North Williamsburg goes to union square on the L line

u need more informations like :

which boroughs you are looking for ? Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan , pick one ?

commute time ?

Old 07-16-2015, 11:39 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsanchez View Post
Hi! I'm about to move to New York from DC, and I'm looking for some neighborhood recommendations.

I'm trying to find a place that has:

- A straightforward commute to SoHo (where I'll be working)
- Cheap, diverse take-out options
- Rooms available for $1000 or less

If you have knowledge of the DC area, and could describe some NY neighborhoods in terms of their DC counterparts, that would be a great bonus! I'm in my mid-twenties, and currently living in the Logan Circle / U St / Shaw area.

I've been told that some areas in northwest Brooklyn might have what I'm looking for, but I'd appreciate your thoughts.
Don't know too much about DC but yea the M or L trains will take you there directly from Brooklyn or Queens. The M travels through Middle Village, Ridgewood, Bushwick, Bed-stuy, East Williamsburg before crossing into Manhattan (all in all total travel time from start in Middle Village to beginning of Manhattan is about 30-40 minutes)... L train travels through Canarcie, Brownsville, East New York, Bushwick, East Williamsburg, and Northside before hitting Manhattan and the commute from Canarcie to the beginning of Manhattan is about 45-50 Minutes. L train commute if you're closer to the city is much faster than the M which is painfully slow once you hit Broadway and Myrtle.

Best areas within those mentioned that'll give you the most bang for your buck are Middle Village and Ridgewood. You may find a couple of decent prices along the East Williamsburg/Southside border because there are pockets within that area that despite years of gentrification across all of Williamsburg, still haven't changed that much. If you see a deal that seems too good to be true in that area, chances are it probably is.

Last edited by anon1; 07-16-2015 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: additions to the post

Old 07-16-2015, 12:11 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
The neighborhoods that I think are most similar to where you are in DC would be Ft. Greene and Clinton Hill in Brooklyn.

Though neither is the entertainment hub that the U Street corridor is, the overall ambience is very very similar IMO -- a mix of longtime black middle-class residents with an influx of newer, affluent white residents, a bunch of students, generally low-rise brownstone (rowhouse) construction with a few big apartment buildings, a big college nearby (Pratt Institute of Art vs Howard) and also still a touch ragged around the edges. There are some bars, restaurants, and the like in these two places, as well as BAM the Barclays Arena on the edge of Ft. Greene near downtown Brooklyn, which do draw people from all over the city and region.

Both areas have become increasingly expensive with Ft. Greene (ever see Spike Lee's rant about gentrification in his home neighborhood on YouTube?) more expensive than Clinton Hill, which borders Bed-Stuy. (Bed-Stuy is a decidedly mixed bag that is overall less affluent than either Ft. Greene or Clinton Hill.) But there are many students in Clinton Hill because of Pratt, so I suspect that there are rooms for rent in the area, though I have no idea what the going price is.

Living closer to downtown Brooklyn (Ft. Greene) gives you several transit options to Soho because there is a major station on Flatbush Ave. within walking distance. Living further out you, pretty much have only one--the C train, which is a local. Unlike DC though, it runs 24/7 !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City