Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 11:47 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Rivers View Post
ONLY GOD CAN JUDGE ME!
You might be holding on to that idea, but clearly a Judge can also judge you. God may or may not exist. Judges do exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 12:49 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,983 times
I know someone with a felony conviction...she has a great job(65,000 a year), and a great apartment. Not everyone checks, even if they say they are going to. Btw-she committed the crime over 10 years ago and has NEVER done an illegal thing again.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:16 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,769,797 times
I have a family memeber with a serious felony record , convictions for armed robbery (dumb stupid kid sh*t), who just retired from a great job that he got only a few years out of the pen. "Education" he told me once, "is the key." He came back home to live with his mother, so there was no problem getting an apartment. Living with some family memeber is what a lot of ex-cons do, BTW.

Then he started at a ctiy college, which back in the day was nearly free, did a bang up job, and got a free ride to graduate school. From there he landed the great job he stayed at for more than 20 years.

Everybody can't do all that, but everybody, ex-con or not, can get an education and part of the shame of the prison system is that too few offer inmates a chance to do that. Employers are much more likely to take a chance on someone who has show that through schooling they can be responsible and productive, even with a prior. Only exceptions I think are when the convictions are directly related to the job you want. Like a child-molester wont be hired as a schoolteacher or an embezzler as a bank cashier, somethng like that.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geryorama View Post
The felon should have thought about this before he/she committed the crime!

I believe that is a very ignorant thing to say, not everyone who has a felony on their record actually committed the crime. Also, have you ever heard of the term REHABILITATION??

Old 07-07-2013, 06:02 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times
http://lac.org/doc_library/lac/publi...licies/nyc.pdf

this link should answer your question. i believe the waiting period is longer for a more serious offense

Old 07-08-2013, 09:03 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,451,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
In an economy with 10% reported unemployment and probably over 20% ACTUAL unemployment, anyone with a serious criminal record is totally SCREWED. He will never get a legitimate job.
He will not qualify for housing either at a private or public level. Best bet is efffective lying that is getting harder to pull off in a computerized society.

That is the REAL reason for recidivism.

Prison is a big industry in the United States and once into the system, it is made very hard to escape it. Felons soon learn that their best chance at survival is to become a more effective felon.
^This.

The Prison-Industrial Complex extremely powerful and to maintain that power and generate more wealth it is imperative that inmates become institutionalized to ensure their failure in the real world upon release.

Combine that with strict anti-felon laws and inmates' return to custody is almost definite; this ensures more profit and economic sector growth. It's all about $$$, not rehabilitation.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:02 AM

119 posts, read 207,030 times
OP: I think you are confusing rent control with public housing. google around.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:04 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krystle845 View Post
I believe that is a very ignorant thing to say, not everyone who has a felony on their record actually committed the crime. Also, have you ever heard of the term REHABILITATION??
A lot more people rehabilitate than is given credit for. Its up to the individual. There's also a lot of help out there too.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:06 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
^This.

The Prison-Industrial Complex extremely powerful and to maintain that power and generate more wealth it is imperative that inmates become institutionalized to ensure their failure in the real world upon release.

Combine that with strict anti-felon laws and inmates' return to custody is almost definite; this ensures more profit and economic sector growth. It's all about $$$, not rehabilitation.

Actually, a lot of people do rehabilitate. Saying that everyone who has a criminal issue is so stupid that they can't learn from their mistakes is actually insulting.

Also, lets be clear, there's a lot of help. Depending on the crime one committed, there is a lot of mental health services. If one gets government programs like medicaid and SSI, Access-VR will pay for either job training or for classes at CUNY and SUNY for free. I have personally known people to get degrees through these programs.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:28 PM

196 posts, read 425,689 times
If your a felon look in to becoming a truck driver it's the best place to get a job that pays good half the people at my job that drives truck are felons an everyone makes over 80,000 a year an they work hard cause they get paid good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City